terrier advice

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
jon price

terrier advice

Postby jon price » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:43 pm

There are a plethora of Terrier models out there. Any advice on which are best for a 1940s SR version, and the best way to convert to P4. I know there is a Comet chassis available for one of the Hornby versions for instance.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

philchudley

Re: terrier advice

Postby philchudley » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:54 am

Terriers are a minefield with some many variations, some quite subtle, so definitely a photo (or more) of your chosen prototype is a must.

I have used both the comet and the branchlines chassis for P4 conversions. The Comet is easy to spring, the branchlines not so easy due to the shallow frames but I have succeeded using CSB, although the chassis is designed for bean compensation, so that's a possibility

I haven't studied the recent releases in detail, but they look a great improvement on the earlier versions, these earlier versions are neither an A1 or AIX but some form of hybrid and require extensive body work alterations.

IN SR days, I believe most, if not all terriers had metal brakes, rather than the original wooden ones, not all had condensing pipes and the position of clack valves does vary.

My own conversion is of 735 (in LSWR livery on which I have 3 photographs all of which are different!).

The other consideration, is there is not much space for pick-ups, so you may want to go down the split frame route. In my conversion, I drilled holes through the frames, put in some slivers of plastic coating, brass wires through these, and used wipers to these wires with the wipers on the top of the wheels. (Hope that makes sense)

Best of luck

Phil

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:02 pm

I suggest waiting to see the new Rails model, or reviews of it, before choosing. There is some pre-release discussion of it on RMWeb. The Rails terriers missed the Christmas boats from China and are now expected in the new year.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm

philchudley wrote:Terriers are a minefield with some many variations, some quite subtle, so definitely a photo (or more) of your chosen prototype is a must.

I have used both the comet and the branchlines chassis for P4 conversions. The Comet is easy to spring, the branchlines not so easy due to the shallow frames but I have succeeded using CSB, although the chassis is designed for bean compensation, so that's a possibility.....

Both chassis were designed for the Dapol/Hornby generation; the recent new-generation Hornby may well one or two different quirks underneath, if Hornby's own "strip-down" photos are anything to go by:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

jon price

Postby jon price » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks for this input. It was a bit of a diversion and I think I will leave it well alone. On the other hand I might be interested in finding out about Bulleid wheels or overlays for the Q1 class
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm

jon price wrote:....might be interested in finding out about Bulleid wheels or overlays for the Q1 class

The Q1 driving wheel with its prominent domed face is a laugh and a half. In the days when there was nothing available, I tried modifying a Gibson wheel centre to make it project further out of the tyre, and then rounding off the face. It didn't come out very well.

Then Bill Bedford came up with his 3D-printed Q1 wheel. This did look correct but, because I hadn't painted the face, it was exposed to UV and the substance used for the print went a bit yellow. Bill did mention in passing at Scaleforum that he was going to have another go at the Q1 wheel with a more stable material, so fingers crossed.

I suppose nowadays you could use the Hornby Q1 wheel and, Porcy Main-style, cut off the OO tyres then turn down the resulting bare centres to press into AGW tyres or those new Ultrascale bespoke tyres.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Horsetan wrote:
philchudley wrote:Image

I think we all know that the r-t-r guys are putting more effort into the fidelity of their models, especially in terms of variants but this image has rather taken me aback!

Nine boiler variants, five tank variants and even three running plate variants. The good news is that the NEM socket seems to be consistent.....

Whatever the feedback on the accuracy of either this or the Rails one, I do think we need to recognise we are pretty lucky with what we have to start our models from.
Mark Tatlow

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Branchlines do a Terrier chassis kit should you want to go down that route. I've got two A1X Terriers with heavily modified Hornby bodies for my WC&P layout which used these chassis, though I did have a bit of bother with them.

For an account of what can be done if you really put your mind to it, Adam Chapman's thread on RMWeb is worth a read. p28 onwards.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-secr-van-by-cambrian/page/28/&tab=comments#comment-2208157

myoxall

Postby myoxall » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi Jon,

Instead of converting a RTR, with all of its associated fifing and faffing, have you considered a new build to P4 standards. Albion do a smashing Terrier etched brass kit, available through Roxey mouldings. Good instructions to build and A1 or A1X along with a number a variants which are also catered for. No connection, just a satisfied customer. :D

Martin

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:11 pm

myoxall wrote:....Albion do a smashing Terrier etched brass kit, available through Roxey mouldings. ...

Doesn't seem to be mentioned on their website, and rarely seen on the trade stand at shows. You'd think they didn't want to sell it!

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”