Double trains

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
jim s-w

Double trains

Postby jim s-w » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:46 am

Hi all

Reading D.J. Nortons Railways in the West Midlands there's a couple of pictures showing a double train working out of Saltley. The captions describe how in certain areas it was permitted to couple 2 trains together to 'save a block'. These trains were also banked too. It's something I've never heard of before (I've seen a few pictures of a following train being used to push a failed preceding train before). It would certainly raise an eyebrow or two at an exhibition!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Armchair Modeller

Re: Double trains

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 am

You would need an extremely large layout to even think of reproducing something like that.

I think Scalefour Society members' eyebrows are safe for the time being. ;)

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 am

Like Calcutta sidings? :D
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:32 am

Rule 134(a) in the BR rulebook effective 1/1/1962 states that "Where authorised by the Operating Superintendent two freight trains may, in clear weather only, be coupled together, the engine of the second train being coupled to the brake van of the first train, and the two trains worked forward as one train." The rest of the rule deals with various details of the operation.

The 1936 GWR General Appendix to the rule book limits the load under rule 134 to 100 wagons, except where specially authorised, with an absolute maximum of 120. These are notional 10 ton wagons, so the actual numbers will be less, in order to stay within the maximum load (and the normal load limits for the engines involved would continue to apply). Fitted or partially fitted trains must not be coupled in this way to unfitted trains, except in great emergency (emphasis in the original), when the fitted or partially fitted train must be worked with the vacuum brake disconnected.

How common it was in practice I don't know, but the July 1960 Cardiff Traffic District Sectional Appendix to the WTTs, etc. has a list of 20 sections of line where it was authorised, all with their own individual restrictions in addition to the ones in rule 134. In two cases these also permit the addition of up to two light engines and one brake van, front or rear, whilst others permit the addition of one engine, with or without brake van.

Edited 15/9/16 to show which version of the BR rulebook I was quoting from
Last edited by Noel on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Noel

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 am

In more recent times, I think I have heard of multiple units being coupled together to move one in front that has failed and I seem to recall in the last couple of years instances of loco hauled trains being used in the same situation. Those who are up in such things may be able to give examples.

Terry Bendall

James Wells

Postby James Wells » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 am

Terry Bendall wrote:In more recent times, I think I have heard of multiple units being coupled together to move one in front that has failed and I seem to recall in the last couple of years instances of loco hauled trains being used in the same situation. Those who are up in such things may be able to give examples.

This is not quite the same thing but is the usual method for rescuing a failed train - the crew can request to be recused from the front of from the rear depending on the nature of the failure. Providing the couplings are compatible, you can use any train to rescue another.

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”