turning domes and chimneys

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
stevecarr

turning domes and chimneys

Postby stevecarr » Sat May 10, 2014 12:37 pm

When I turn domes and chimneys I have always taken the diameter of the flange from the side elevation. Having just had a few problems with the dome for an SER O1 I wonder if perhaps I have been doing the wrong thing?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Steve

Tim V

Re: turning domes and chimneys

Postby Tim V » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 pm

I had a look in that most useful of books for scratchbuilders, Guy Williams "Model Locomotive Construction in 4mm scale" the Ian Allan version. There are some good hints on domes in there, and I think your point is covered. You may find on a dome for a small boilered loco, that the flange is bigger on the side.

Of course, Guy advocates cutting the base first, that way you can see the size needed for the flange.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed May 14, 2014 9:45 am

The flange on the dome was almost always circular in plan view, but large domes on small boilers can give an illusion of being wider across the boiler than along it.

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks Tim.

I've got Guys book, the original, and although it's seen better days it still my bible.

You've hit the nail on the head when you talk about the flange on small boilered loco's. The problem of course can be overcome and my question arose after one of those 'why am I so useless' sessions!

Are you going to Bracknell this coming Saturday? I've come across a picture of the station masters house in Clutton taken in 1912 showing some Clutton po wagons in the background. If you are going then I'll bring it along with me.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Steve

Thanks for the offer, I'm at Expo on Sunday, but I think I have a copy of that picture with the POs and Daisy already. Of course if it isn't....
Tim V

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Wed May 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Quite right Tim. It's the one with Daisy.

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Oh well....
Tim V

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”