1964 Formation & Composition of freight trains

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
Tor Giffard

1964 Formation & Composition of freight trains

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Evenin' all,

A copy of the ER (GN) 1964 Freight Train Loads book (delivered today) gives a few useful insights into the marshalling of model freight trains when replicating various classes of freight train. At that date a class 4 was limited to 55mph ('+' in the relevant WTT entry meant 60mph) and must have been formed of at least 90% by fully braked vehicles. Brakevans to be fully fitted or piped & gauged and be minimum 15ft wheelbase.

Class 5 freights had a maximum speed of 55mph and had to be formed of at least 50% by fully braked vehicles. Brakevans had to be a minimum 15ft wheelbase.

Class 6 freights had a maximum speed of 45mph and had to be formed of at least 20% by fully braked vehicles (in accordance with the General Appendix). There was also a table to be complied with working on the GN concerning the proportion of basic wagon units in the train to the number of fully braked vehicles next to the locomotive (differentiated between 4 and 6 braked axles on the loco) .
Brakevans needed to have a minimum 15ft wheelbase where possible.

Class 7 freights had a maximum speed of 40mph

Class 7* freights were limited to 35mph, were local to the ER and had to comply with the same table (mentioned above) for the number of basic wagon units in the train compared with the number of fully braked vehicles next to the locomotive (again differentiated between 4 and 6 braked axles on the locomotive).

Class 8 freights had a maximum speed of 25mph.

Additionally: all brakevans of less than 20 tons, or having no side look outs were not in common use and should be confined to the ER.

A brake tender counted as 4 standard braked vehicles in a class 4 train but as 6 in a class 7* train. Also, the speed of a class 7* service could not be reduced...more brakeforce would need to be added or some unfitted vehicles removed instead.

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaveHarris

Re: 1964 Formation & Composition of freight trains

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Its also interesting to note the differences in loading of trains in the 'up' and 'down' directions on a given route ie: Stoke Gifford - Bristol...... Engine group E... Down 135 wagons, but Up 50 wagons. This takes into account Ashley Down bank when leaving Bristol. It would be nice to see some layouts taking into account such loading restrictions when organising their train formations. (From the BR(WR) version of the same book).

Dave H

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi Dave,

...on a similar note I was intrigued by the instructions relating to how the load was spread...many small wagons or few high capacity wagons...due to binding/windage etc.

We used the period publications at Barrowmore for Mostyn...it was surprising how many model-able instructions we came across.

Our current research (and reason for gathering more BR publications) concerns instructions relating to vacuum disc braked wagons in the fitted head of partially fitted freight. Over the years the instructions went full circle...it just depended upon which date of publication you had, as to what you read.

BR publications...a fascinating and under-appreciated opportunity for the modeller.

Dave

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Dave,

I would agree with you; the various BR publications provide a fascinating insight into railway workings and provide a wealth of detail which modellers could put to good use. The Barrowmore site is a very useful introduction to these publications for those who havent come across such publications on the 'secondhand' market.

Dave H

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 pm

...at the time we were researching wagon dimensions for our own purposes (admittedly warily with the basic outline diagrams) and felt that it was a massive opportunity to provide a valuable resource for the modeller. I'm no longer at Barrowmore but work continuously with several wagon enthusiasts/authors in creating articles, books etc covering our freight wagon heritage.

Dave

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:56 pm

I used to earn my living with that very GN Loads Book. So I agree emphatically with all that has been said. Indeed I have pushed the Barrowmore resources at the talks on operating which I have given at Scalefour North and Scaleforum. It really is great to see folk interested in getting all these aspects of history into model form.

Jim

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi Jim,

...there are still plenty of people with first hand knowledge of early BR operations but that can only diminish. Collecting the period publications/discussing their content retains their value, makes more modellers aware of such resources and makes sites such as this more interesting/valuable as a result.

I am however getting 'a look' from the better half which correctly interpreted means...how many more of these smelly old publications are you going to bring into this house?

Oh well!!

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 am

An alternative to the smelly old publications are the books by Bob Essery on Railway Operation. Although by their nature they are a bit general they provide a good starting point.

Terry Bendall

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 am

Mornin' Terry,

....thanks for the tip, although tracing the history of individual Rules & Regs over time does call for several year dates of the same publication. Often these BR publications contain gems from the member of staff who was issued with them e.g. specific exceptions to particular rules written in the margin...valuable pieces of history.

Dave

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”