Em wheels on P4 loco's

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
adigill

Em wheels on P4 loco's

Postby adigill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 am

Hello All,
I have just purchased four Alan Gibson Midland loco kit's (1142,483,990 and compound) all supplied with oo-em wheels and was wondering if it is possible to use them set with the correct back to back on my developing P4 layout?. The wheel flange 's look quite fine unlike OO wheels I used to have.
Any help/comments appreciated.
Adi.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Em wheels on P4 loco's

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:00 am

Refer to this current topic http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2451
Personally I would think it better to sell those wheelsets to a 00/EM modeller and buy the correct ones from Alan Gibson, but its your choice, you can always try one and see how you get on.
With overwidth wheels set to P4 back to back you will lose clearances in the splashers etc.
Don't forget that the rationale for 00 and then EM in the first place was to keep the outside face of the wheels correctly positioned with respect to splashers, connecting rods etc. It has been the availability of thinner wheels that allowed the Back to back to be increased. (note that the change to thinner wheels on 00 has had the opposite effect, taking the outer face of the wheels back ending up with connecting rods at crazy angles.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

adigill

Postby adigill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am

Thank's Grovener,
I'll have a look at the thread already running, but as you say it will probably be better to get replacement's.
Adi.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Using Gibson (or Ultrasacale) EM wheels on P4 track, set to the P4 back-to-back, has been extensively discussed on this forum.

I have been the main culprit, having used EM wheels in this way for some years now. It saves having to buy new wheels, and in fact they are less likely to derail than P4 wheels, due to the deeper flanges.

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”