First June Zoom meeting

Moderator: pheald

David Thorpe

First June Zoom meeting

Postby David Thorpe » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Our group is now having regular Zoom meetings every fortnight. They last for about 80 minutes and all six of our group members particpate. To any other groups who may be missing the interaction of group meetings I would urge you to give Zoom meetings a go; It needs one person to register with Zoom, which is free, and then to act as "host" for the meetings. None of the other participants have to register with Zoom - the host sends them invitations to the meeting and at the appointed time they follow the link on their invitation and Bob's your uncle! Yoy do of course need a webcam and microphone! Technically you're limited to 40 minutes unless you pay for an upgrade, but in practice, when cut off at the end of 40 minutes, the host merely has to start the meeting again and you get another 40 minutes.

Anyway, our meeting was very enjoyable, as they have all been to date. We spent quite a lot of time discussing painting and weathering and the merits of acrylics and enamels, washes and pigments, and so on. All of us have managed to escape gardening from time to time to do some modelling; Colin apparently has three entries in the Socially Distanced Challenge (possibly as a diversion from threading chairs onto sleepers for his mammoth layout Alnmouth), David is just completing four NB coaches for his current layout Lauriston, Tony is still working on his incredibly complicated GWR brake van, and John is about to start on a new GNSR S-class loco kit (it's in O gauge but we;re pretending not to notice). As for me, I'm attempting to weather my freight stock and am actually finding it quite enjoyable. Peter was absent this week but it's a pretty near certainty that he's been working on something to do with wagons.

Next meeting in a fortnight's time!

DT

Allan Goodwillie

Re: First June Zoom meeting

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi David, :)

I am sure that you enjoyed your meeting, sounds like there were a number of things our own group would be interested in. I have been writing up an entry for the S4 News on encouraging groups to get involved with this. We have been meeting today, as well, with our Starters Group, but also run them with the East of Scotland and West Scotland Groups.

I suggested today at our Starters Group that we might connect up with yourselves, and others for a meeting. We had Les Grosvenor from up your way, join us to see what we get up to and I think Les enjoyed our meeting. Not everyone in the group is modelling S4 at home, but experience is just that and most experience can cross over into other areas. The Starters Group meet on the first Sunday of each month at 2.00pm If you fancy a joint meeting or would perhaps want to put something together to show us we would be very keen to share time together. Similarly if you would like myself or one of our members "come along" to your Zoom meeting to do a show and tell, we could maybe do a swap for half an hour or so.

As always looking outwards and open to all ideas.

Allan :)

David Thorpe

Re: First June Zoom meeting

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks Allan. We'll have a chat about it at our next meeting later this month.

David

Return to “North East of Scotland (Grampian)”