October workshop

Moderator: pheald

David Thorpe

October workshop

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:20 am

After a break last month workshops resumed yesterday and Tony Wickes, Colin Stevenson and Peter Heald joined me in Charleston Village. John Duffy, whose Saturdays are much taken up with footballing matters, came in later.

Tony appears to reserve the monthly workshops for working on his Colin Waite GWR carriage truck. This is extremely fiddly and I'm not entirely sure that Tony totally enjoys making this kit, but he must do to at least some extent as it's the second one he's done. Tony also brought along his latest GWR loco (a Dukedog?), immaculate as his locos always are, but tenderless - apparently that requires some attention having been involved in an accident.

Peter was also making fiddly things, in this case PC couplings. After that he moved on to a Model Wagon Company Cambrian Railway cattle wagon, a white metal kit that Peter was carefully soldering together.

Colin was scratch building a chassis for a Nu-Cast C16 4-4-2 kit. Following a discussion with Will Litchfield at Scaleforum, Colin will be fitting this with CSBs including the bogie and pony wheels. We all await the result with interest....

John brought along along his latest creations, a PDK GNSR V Class 4-4-0 (LNER D40) and, to go with it, a GNSR 48’ Third to Diag 52, built from the Worsely Works etched sides and chassis. These looked terrific in shiny brass - it really seems a shame that they're going to be painted!

As for me, when I was not involved in catering arrangements I was working on a chassis for my ancient DJH Caledonian 294 class Jumbo. Should have been reasonably simple, but this chassis has given me every problem imaginable. I think I've got it working properly now.....

DT

Will L

Re: October workshop

Postby Will L » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:47 am

David Thorpe wrote:...Colin was scratch building a chassis for a Nu-Cast C16 4-4-2 kit. Following a discussion with Will Litchfield at Scaleforum, Colin will be fitting this with CSBs including the bogie and pony wheels.

And we agreed the theory and that the methods suggested ought to be practical but I also freely admitted it wasn't the way my CSBed 4-4-2 works.

We all await the result with interest....

Oh yes,

Return to “North East of Scotland (Grampian)”