January Workshop

Moderator: pheald

David Thorpe

January Workshop

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Last Saturday (18th) we held one of our occasional workshops at my home in rural Angus. It took the usual format - people turned up at about 10-30 and stayed for about 6 hours, stopping for a pretty basic lunch in the middle. Altogether there were four of us - that may not sound many, but that is two-thirds of our regular group. I've got a decent size kitchen and a number of tables, and there was plenty of room for us all to get some useful work done.

David Jolley turned up with half a dozen Bill Bedford wagon kits and was extremely industrious as by the end of the day he'd very nearly completed all of them - three 2-plank fixed side wagons and three 3-plank dropsided ones. I am always bewildered by David's speed of construction!

Peter Heald, needless to say, was also building wagons, banana vans to be precise. He seemed to spend quite a lot of time musing over brake shoes. That is a different approach to mine - I just always fit the ones that come with the kit.

John Duffy built an SR CCT. His concentration was not always all it should be as I was playing a selection of railway videos and it was noticeable that John tended to stop work whenever a pacific appeared on the screen - John has a weakness for them.

I initially showed off my new baseboards and we had a general discussion about track laying and how best to lay hand-made plain track (ply sleepers, Exactoscale chairs). I concluded that I'll probably build it in situ on top of the Templot plan which in turn will be glued to the cork base. I then endeavoured to interest the group in helping me get the chassis of my HighLlevel Hudswell Clarke to work, but without success - the tiny drivers make it almost impossible to adjust the quartering once the wheels are in situ. Giving up on that, I decided that at long last, after a 25-year break, I would resume work on my Caledonian 812. It is half built, and after greatly admiring the work of my younger self I decided to dismantle the chassis, which is not really up to modern standards and fit CSBs, which is now my current work in progress.

All in all, it was a very sucessful day.

DT

John Fitton

Re: January Workshop

Postby John Fitton » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Is this a self-help workshop, or a gathering to avoid other "home" distractions. It seems like a good way to have a concentrated modelling session. I am fortunate enough to work at home, whilst my wife goes out to work. I can put in lots of 30 - 60 minute sessions, but a six-hour session: wow! Seems very good.

John Fitton

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:15 am

And just to show some of the work;

This is proving to be a very productive idea for the group with a number of items being produced. Many thanks to our host for the day.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 am

John Fitton wrote:Is this a self-help workshop, or a gathering to avoid other "home" distractions. It seems like a good way to have a concentrated modelling session. I am fortunate enough to work at home, whilst my wife goes out to work. I can put in lots of 30 - 60 minute sessions, but a six-hour session: wow! Seems very good.

I suppose it's a combination of the two, John. Up here in Angus and Aberdeenshire we're rather isolated from the mainstream P4 world and indeed from each other - for some of us, it's a 120 mile round trip to meetings. While we have regular monthly meetings that involve mainly chat and are very pleasant, I find that the workshops, which are held in addition to the normal meetings, give us the chance to do some concentrated modelling along with other like-minded people. We can share any problems that crop up and get on with some serious work without any domestic distractions, although at the same time it is a very good social occasion. I'm able to offer suitable facilities as I have a fairly large kitchen and my wife (who would be very understanding in any event) goes off to Edinburgh for a full Saturday once a month to pursue her hobby interests which leaves the house free for us.

DT

Return to “North East of Scotland (Grampian)”