NAG at DEFine Modellers’ Day 20th January 2018

Moderator: ken kirk

RobM

NAG at DEFine Modellers’ Day 20th January 2018

Postby RobM » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 am

NAG was ably represented by our Test Track fronted by Tony Wilkins and John Slack, aided and abetted by Bevis Heap. Also representing NAG was Howard Bolton on track construction.
The test track was a source of interest with members of the Modellers’ Day coming to problem-solve their locomotive, try out rolling stock and to operate a Class 45 with Penbits suspension. When not in use for these purposes Tony’s class 16 and Sentinals were performing as was Bevis’s Bulleid 1CO-CO1, 10202 which was the source of a later hole in Tony’s Credit Card. The trackwork enabled several discussions of track building which led to either Tony or Howard being quizzed at length on various track related topics.
Howard, on his demonstration stand, was kept busy all day with a succession of questions which indicate that interest in hand-built trackwork is alive and well in all three 4mm scale gauges.
The test track was invited to Scalefourum 2018 and Tony has already said he will attend. He will need an assistant as I will be elsewhere that weekend with another NAG member’s layout
A good day was had by all with interesting layouts and demonstrations as well as conversations. Several NAG Members were sighted through the day and some other Scalefour Society Members expressed an interest in coming to NAG to see what we got up to and possibly joining the throng.
BMH 23/01/18
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

Tony Wilkins

Re: NAG at DEFine Modellers’ Day 20th January 2018

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm

The hole was caused by me ordering 10203 the following day. What has that got to do with Brimsdown? Don't ask.
Regards
Tony.

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am

Tony Wilkins wrote:.The test track was invited to Scalefourum 2018

It has indeed and I now have confirmation that it will be available. This year we won't have room for a large continuous run test track so this will be a substitute and will give locos a good test of negotiation pointwork and a fiendish sharp curve. It has the facility for both DC and DCC control and a length of dual gauge OO and P4 track. Another reason for inviting it is as an example of a test track that people could build for themselves and much of it represents a first attempt at track building for members of NAG who were new to that art.

Terry Bendall

bevis

Postby bevis » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks Terry,

The test track was built as a "test track" for various members of NAG to hone their skills at plain track and more the complex allowing both rivet and ply and function chair construction methods to be tried. It would be a good one-man project. We did think we should have a sign on the front for DEFine which said something like "this is a test track so it doesn't need scenery. It is finished!"

Bevis

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 pm

The test track design actually started life as a one man project. I was commissioned to do the track design. When NAG proposed a similar venture, I showed them what I was designing and there was much interest in the idea, indeed the group contributed several ideas that were later adopted by the originator. I subsequently built the track for him, but to date my understanding is that things have not progressed much further. Meanwhile, NAG members went on to complete ours in time for its first scheduled appearance in public and it performed very well.
Regards
Tony.

Return to “Nottingham Area Group (NAG)”