NAG Meeting 16th February 2017

Moderator: ken kirk

RobM

NAG Meeting 16th February 2017

Postby RobM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Eight members attended this pleasant meeting.
Bevis was fixing minute hinges on his PHEONIX kit of a LSWR corridor brake third.
Len continued with his 9F. Having now persuaded the boiler into roundness, he was fitting handrail stanchions to it. (“knobs” to the uninitiated!).
Tony Wilkins brought in several chunks of trackwork he has built for his fiddle yard. These will go onto his “Brimsdown” layout. So far this mainly consists of modified B1:7 crossings, the curves going right through the crossings.

Brimsdown.jpg
Brimsdown.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

David was replacing dropper wires for his layout. Originally he used stiff wire soldered to the rail’s foot, but it proved too difficult to persuade them into the holes in his baseboard. He is now using 16/02 flexible wire instead.
Nigel continues with his model of Cupar Station Buildings.
John was working on trackwork for the NAG layout.
Sporadic bouts of humour broke out from time to time. The sound of grown men trying to imitate The Goons was fortunately not recorded.
Ken Kirk
Area Coordinator.
17 February 2017
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

Colin Parks

Re: NAG Meeting 16th February 2017

Postby Colin Parks » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi rob,

I like the look of that base board. Very 'fit for purpose' and solid construction. Is that the board which is having new dropper wires fitted? What is 16/02 wire exactly? I ask this last question because I am very close to the stage of fitting dropper wires to some track work myself.

Colin

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:31 pm

"Electrical wire, heavy duty" See Eileen's page here. Other people will call it 'equipment wire' or 'rapid equipment wire' - basically, good for hooking things up (electrically)!
David L-T

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 pm

RobM wrote:Sporadic bouts of humour broke out from time to time. The sound of grown men trying to imitate The Goons was fortunately not recorded.
Ken Kirk
Area Coordinator.
17 February 2017

Grown Men?

Len

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Colin Parks wrote:Hi rob,

Is that the board which is having new dropper wires fitted?

Colin

Hi Colin,
No, the board shown is Tony's the droppers are for David Clarke's layout.
Rob
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Just to clarify things a bit.

1) David's droppers are being replaced with 16/02 wire.
This means there are 16 strands of 0.2mm diameter wire within the sheath. This allows flexibility and can withstand b bit of bending and fiddling to get into awkward places without breaking.
2) The baseboard is part of the NAG test track (the boards on the table are Tony's). Thanks for the compliment re the boards. These were designed and made by myself a few years ago to Tony's templot plan. They are made from 12mm birch ply with 9mm birch trackbed. Assembled using biscuits and alphatic resin adhesive. David Clarke's layout (Trench Sidings) was made in the same way.
T TRACK CLAMPING UP.JPG
TEST TRACK CLAMPING UP

T TRACK BISCUIT JIONT.JPG
TEST TRACK BISCUIT JOINT D shaped holes are cut into each piece with a jointing machine.The biscuit is inserted and the job clamped up. No need for glue blocks.

Trench Sidings, Ken checks everything is level before gluing up_ 2-2013_.JPG
TRENCH SIDINGS GLUE UP On a very cold Feb in 2013

I meant to add (but my wayward fingers hit the Submit button) that the trackwork and wiring was built by many of the NAG members once the wood butchery was done. Tony has an evil sense of humour. He got me build the double slip for my first foray into P4. Still, the experience was worth it.
I now have the confidence to ask him to build mine! (lol).

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I would certainly own up to having a wicked sense of humour. Ken did get his own back though, he always does. The idea was to help him build the double slip and learn from the experience. However he chose to build it using functional chairs, which left us both flummoxed.
Tony.

Return to “Nottingham Area Group (NAG)”