Nottingham Area Group meeting 21st June 2011

Moderator: ken kirk

Hardwicke

Nottingham Area Group meeting 21st June 2011

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Ken has asked those who attended to submit a short piece for the forum.
Here's mine.
I brought along a Replica Railways 64' powered chassis. It was still in its packaging but has been designed with P4 in mind. I bought it at DEMU Showcase and asked if it was suitable for P4 before purchase. This is probably the best way to persuade manufacturers. Speak to them about the standard and then buy it. I have test run it and it seems smooth. The wheels still need to be changed for the correct gauge. I also offered advice about painting backscenes as I'm a trained and qualified artist. I also showed the benefits of technology with the use of photos and video on my smartphone (iPhone).
Michael Prince.
Attachments
small landscape IMG_1407.jpg
photo of clouds
small landscape IMG_1407.jpg (144.52 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
small painting IMG_1439.jpg
painting
small painting IMG_1439.jpg (221.29 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Re: Nottingham Area Group meeting 21st June 2011

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 pm

and three photos of new Dapol Products from DEMU .

Michael Prince
small IMG_1369.jpg
small IMG_1369.jpg (249.77 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
small IMG_1368.jpg
small IMG_1368.jpg (261.44 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
small 22 IMG_1367.jpg
small 22 IMG_1367.jpg (327.42 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 pm

I am a complete novice to railway modelling, having decided to take up the hobby as a means to keep me out of the kitchen during my retirement. I have not done any kit building for over 35 years and then it was plastic construction kits of aircraft, so this enterprise looks like being a steep learning curve for me. I joined Scalefour and, subsequently, the Nottingham Area Group for advice and inspiration in my quest to build models of steam railway locomotives as accurately as I could. However, I found that I was sitting in the NAG meetings like a lemon, not knowing what questions to ask or advice to seek, simply because I had yet to take up the tools, tackle the kits and make some mistakes. The concentration on track building skills and techniques at the recent NAG meetings held no interest for me but they did give me the opportunity to pluck up courage and start some kit building of my own. At the NAG meeting of the 21st June I took along my progress to date on building my first whitemetal locomotive kit, looking for some advice and, hopefully some constructive criticism. Following the request from Ken Kirk, I am now submitting my little contribution to the meeting to a wider audience on the Scalefour Society Forum, hoping that it doesn't put off too many aspiring modellers.

My first attempt at kitbuilding comprises a Thompson L1 2-6-4 tank locomotive manufactured by ABS Models. The superstructure is manufactured from whitemetal, whilst the chassis is of etched brass and the whole kit was designed for 00 gauge construction only, so it has taken considerable kit-bashing to construct to P4 gauge. I have used solder construction throughout, a technique until now completely alien to me.

The kit as purchased was apparently cast in tired moulds, with, for instance, the running plate ahead of the tank fronts having a distict fish-bellied profile. This running plate was also 3.5mm too long compared to the Issinglass drawings, as was the boiler, presumably to give more clearance between the cylinder cross-heads and the coupling rods. Hence, I have had to undertake significant cleaning up to remedy these problems. I have scraped off the boiler bands, the bunker flare on the left hand side, the cast smokebox door dart and knob, the cast cab roof vents and other small details. I have scratch built new cab roof vents, rear tender ladder and front steps from brass and purchased a number of detailed parts such as screw couplings, smokebox door dart, hand rails and knobs, vaccuum pipes, etc for later addition. There is still much to do and some additional parts to source, such as a decent Westinghouse pump, electricity generator and injector piping, but I have been encouraged by my progress so far. The chassis runs well, even though I have no intention of fitting a motor and gearbox, its the challenge of construction and the look of the finished project that will, hopefully, give me the satisfaction that I seek.

I approached this little exercise with some trepidation but, armed with Tony Wright's DVDs on loco kit construction to learn the techniques and Ian Rice's books for inspiration, I am a little less nervous now. If, as I was, you are frightened to tackle locomtive kits, give it a go. I have been pleasently surprised, although others may have a different view on the fruits of my labours thus far.

Cuneo has his little mouse, I seem to have acquired a greenfly.

Len Pinder
Attachments
L1 Under Construction RHS1.jpg
L1 Under Construction RHS1.jpg (250.97 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
L1 Under Construction Front 3Q rhs.jpg
L1 Under Construction Front 3Q rhs.jpg (323.9 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
L1 Under Construction Rear 3Q 2.jpg
L1 Under Construction Rear 3Q 2.jpg (336.44 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
L1 Under Construction Front 3Q 1.jpg
L1 Under Construction Front 3Q 1.jpg (342.16 KiB) Viewed 6270 times

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:52 pm

:thumb
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Actually you've all been brilliant, the level of inspirational activity and enthusiastic input from this new Area Group in such a short space of time has been fantastic. Well done to all of you as you're demonstrating in the best way possible the benefits of forming and being part of an Area Group and have provided an object lesson for us all.

Keep up the good work,

Danny Cockling
Area Group Co-ordinator

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 pm

well Len, I have built a anumber of P4 models over the last xx years, including scatchbuilt, gibsons and brassmasters product and if I had yours on the workbench I would be very satisfied.
We all start somewhere, but your work is an example that a lot of modelers hope to aspire to. keep it up and the posts.
Phil

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Well Len,
I don't think you have anything to worry about. This doesn't look in any way the work of a beginner, so take heart that you are on the right lines, so to speak. This game is as much an attitude of mind as of skill and you'll not aquire the latter without a bit of the former. This you have clearly demonstrated.
In fact, Len, you are in front of me, as I have never built a whitemetal kit and as for outside valve gear, I'd have a job getting my ten thumbs around it (attitude again!) Luckily, I have chosen a prototype and period where they were not that common.

Don't forget, if you are stuck and need a solution fast, just post it in the right place on the Forum and you'll soon get a solution.
Thanks for bringing your work for us to admire on Tuesday and bring it again when you feel you are ready.
Regards,
Ken

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 pm

I've just seen the pictures of Len's loco, and would echo all that everyone else has said.

Len, you say, you have no intention of fitting motor and gearbox. From what you have shown us, if you eventually decide to motorise it, there is no doubt you'll manage it beautifully.

Jim

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 pm

I agree with Jim. Give powering it a go. What could be the worst case scenario? The best case will be a moving loco you will be very proud of. Pushing ourselves that extra mile and learning is one of the great rewards this hobby brings.

A lovely engine Len, my only criticism is that the greenfly looks a tad over scale.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Is the greenfly cosmetic or a working model? Radio controlled?

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:53 am

Hardwick wrote:Is the greenfly cosmetic or a working model? Radio controlled?

It's actually a nanotechnology spybot. It's top secret and I've already said too much :o

More progress to report so some pictures to follow, if I don't doze off after lunch.

Len

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 am

Ealing wrote:I agree with Jim. Give powering it a go. What could be the worst case scenario? The best case will be a moving loco you will be very proud of. Pushing ourselves that extra mile and learning is one of the great rewards this hobby brings.

A lovely engine Len, my only criticism is that the greenfly looks a tad over scale.

I know that I will be labelled a heretic but here goes ;)

Many layouts that I see at exhibitions and in the published press fill me with admiration for the modellers skills in recreating a thoroughly convincing representation of the British country scene. These must take an enormous amount of time and patience to complete. However, most are considerably constrained in terms of size and length of trackwork. Accordingly, the moving locomotives, to me, appear as caged tigers, only able to pace up and down a short distance. To give them their true freedom requires an inordinate amount of space and modelling time, neither of which I have.

I wish to concentrate my efforts on building the locos to a high level of detail and then mounting them as stuffed exhibits; less cruel than caging a live animal ;)

As I have no desire to run them, I see no strong reason to spend the extra money on a good motor and gearbox. Rather this, to me, is better spent on buying more loco kits, detailing parts and all sorts of sundry brass sections with which to make the add on goodies.

I hope that there is room in the hobby for an heathen such as I. Certainly, there is already a very catholic range of interests in the NAG, with some being passionate about trackwork, others signalling, then there's backscenes, realistic operation, blue diesels, dmus, etc........

Len

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:08 pm

:thumb
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:16 pm

No problems getting the quartering right either. Wheels don't even need to go round!

Will

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Pasta al forno, washed down with a couple of glasses of Santa Christina, and followed with a double espresso. Luvverly! and still awake.

I promised an update on progress, after my little philosophical homily on motor-less locos, so here goes.

The L1 tank now awaits the paint-shop, followed by some final detailing, glazing and, hopefully a big sigh of relief. As I have progressed I have gained more confidence, several times to the point of cockiness, but pride always goes before a fall, and I have had several. Still, its all part of the learning process and my increasing confidence has sometimes encouraged me to go back and improve on something I did earlier.

The valve gear has been completed and the loco still rolls along as sweet as a nut, setting off under the action of gravity alone on a 1 in 33 slope. However, close scrutiny reveals some of the soldered rivets in the valve gear are a bit sloppy for my liking, so I will have to try and do better next time.

I’ve now added scratch built injectors and pipe-work under the cab on both sides, lights and lamp irons with associated conduit, a rear footstep below the running plate, destination board brackets on the rear bunker, cylinder drain cocks, sanding pipes, blanking plates in the rearmost side window openings around the doors and additional detail on top of the white-metal Westinghouse pump. I’ve also cobbled together a boiler back-head of sorts, to give an appropriate shadow behind the leading side windows in the cab and to assist in blocking the view of the wheels and mechanism through the cab window. Iain Rice has a lot to answer for.

Purchased additional details include wheel balancing weights, screw couplings, vacuum, steam and air hoses, Westinghouse pump and Stone’s generator. The latter two are yet to be finally attached so that I can paint behind them first.

Now a question to the experts. I intend representing the boiler bands with sellotape attached by varnish. I want these to remain as crisp as possible after painting. My intended plan of attack is to airbrush an etching primer, followed by a first airbrushed top-coat, then apply the boiler bands, then apply the final topcoat and finish off with a satin varnish coat. Is this a sound approach or is there a better way of doing it?

Len
Attachments
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress Front 3Q LHS 2r.jpg
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress Front 3Q LHS 2r.jpg (333.06 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress Front 3Q RHS Westinghouse r.jpg
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress Front 3Q RHS Westinghouse r.jpg (403.07 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress Front 3Q RHS2 r.jpg
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress Front 3Q RHS2 r.jpg (335.59 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress R3Q RHS2 r.jpg
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress R3Q RHS2 r.jpg (332.47 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress RHS2 r.jpg
L1 Under Construction 2nd Progress RHS2 r.jpg (241.75 KiB) Viewed 5954 times

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:25 pm

If you must use Sellotape use the expensive mat tape rather than the shiny see through stuff. The glue on the shiny stuff gives up after a few years and the tape just drops off.

Will

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I've always found the best way is to spray some transfer paper with your desired band colour, then slice this with a scalpel to produce the correct width. This is done at the transfer stage. The final coat of varnish keeps it in place. HTH
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks once again Len for bringing your loco to the last NAG meeting. We were all impressed at the progress you made.
The latest photos show it in even better light. We will have an airbrush tutorial sometime in September. Dave (the Brassmaster) Clarke is to run it with myself and others helping out. You may wish to wait until then or bring it along finished and show it off!
Thanks for posting your progress.
Ken
PS Has it been sprayed for greenfly?

Return to “East Midlands Area Group”