NAG, DETAILS of MEETING, 19th APRIL 2011

Moderator: ken kirk

ken kirk

NAG, DETAILS of MEETING, 19th APRIL 2011

Postby ken kirk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello everyone,
Here's a few lines to let you know how we got on last Tuesday. It was an enjoyable and productive meeting.
Thanks to those who brought their baseboards and Templot along for us to see before making decisions re the proposed test track.
I understand that Michael Prince has kindly loaned his test track which will get us running a lot sooner than if we build our own. Thanks Michael.
NEXT MEETING 10th May 2001.
TRACK BUILDING WORKSHOP STARTS. Bring your kit and some tools to have a go. Howard will be running this series until the summer,so come along and build your first turnout or learn new ways of doing it.
Would those who don't wish to take part in this, please let me know what you want to do and I'l try and arrange it for you.
See you there,,
Ken
download/file.php?id=2980
Attachments
5th NAG MEETING 19th APRIL 2011.docx
(18.53 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
DIRECTIONS to the BOAT & HORSES.docx
(15.95 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

JFS

Re: NAG, DETAILS of MEETING, 19th APRIL 2011

Postby JFS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am

Many thanks for the Notes Ken, succinct and accurate as ever!

Suggestion for next time - those who are not taking a role in the Track Building session - Would it be possible for them to erect / wire / test-run Michael's Circle?

Also, just to help with preparation for Track additions to this, would it be possible for "Someone" to measure the radius of the current track and the baseboard edges? If so, then I can knock up some Tempot Templates for some additional bits of track for us to build at the next session.

Best Wishes,

Howard

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:30 pm

:thumb
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:Do the people participating in the point-building session already have their own projects in mind, or are they expecting to be building stuff specifically for the test track?

Hi Richard,

I suspect some people might welcome a real project to work on and I would be happy to use the test track as something of a demo, so if it is possible to get the measurements done in advance then great - but no pressure!

Many thanks,

H

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 pm

If it is the intention to wire the test track at the next meeting ( or at any future meeting ), please let me know in advance as I can donate spools of wire sufficient to get the track up and running (and possibly cable ties if requird ?). We are having a clear out of the old stocks at work and I will be filling my car boot in the morning, hate to see copper going to waste at the current high price it has escalated to.

Howard, one for you. For the track building session I believe I have most of the tools I will require, however any chance you can put together a list of the essentials and list on here. For example, I have Swiss files but not sure if these are correct to use on the filing jigs or if I need another type of file (just not sure what to buy). Also I think you mentioned you use an Antex iron, I had a look at these at York on Sunday and they have nice fine tips on them just not sure what wattage to buy? Any help on these two points and a list of essential tools would be most welcome.

Steve T

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:23 pm

:thumb
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:53 pm

RedDragon wrote: any chance you can put together a list of the essentials and list on here. For example, I have Swiss files but not sure if these are correct to use on the filing jigs or if I need another type of file (just not sure what to buy). Also I think you mentioned you use an Antex iron, I had a look at these at York on Sunday and they have nice fine tips on them just not sure what wattage to buy? Any help on these two points and a list of essential tools would be most welcome.

Hi Steve,

Yes I was thinking about doing that, so just some quick notes for now and I will have a further think over the next few days...

If you need to buy tools but don't have a local shop (all the ones in Derby have vanished), have a look through the Cromwell tools or Buck and Hickman sites - both of these have local outlets and can usually get things overnight.

Cutting edge stuff

Files, I suggest that filing switches needs good quality, BIG files - I have drawer full of 18" files (never keep files in a drawer!)- but at least 14" is needed. Both bastard and smooth cuts and the smooth cut needs a "safe edge" . ( I will bring mine with me in case people don't have these things - good files are not cheap!)

A selection of GOOD QUALITY SWISS needle files (plus some cheap ones for rough jobs) including both second and smooth cuts

A piercing saw with a packet of GOOD SWISS 6/0 blades

A pair of side cutters (like the Xuron but better quality)

Sticky stuff...

Soldering irons - I have both 25 and 50W Antex irons with a fair selection of bit shapes - always get iron plated bits or just plain copper for those you might need to file to shape.
If you use cored solders, make sure you get a stand which includes a piece of natural sponge to clean the black muck off with.

Boring stuff...
Pin chuck and a selection of small drill bits, but particularly 0.5 and 0.7mm
Small centre pop and a small hammer to hit it.
A good fine scriber (or needle in the pin chuck)

Gripping stuff...
Watchmakers vice
Two pairs of fine point Stainless Steel tweezers
a small pair of flat nose pliers

Measurement
Good 6" rule
(I will bring a mike and a vernier - to check the gauges!)

Set of track gauges - particularly a Society check gauge - a most useful tool! For chaired track, the Exactoscale gauges are better than any type which grips the rail, otherwise you will have problems with the 1:20 inclination. ( I will bring mine and Ken will bring his)

Cleaning

Glass fibre stick
Glass fibre propelling pencil
240 and 600 grade wet or dry paper

A small mirror for squinting down the rails

"Dinky-type" hair clips
Brushes for flux (plus some liquid fluxes - Carr's yellow or green label)

Plus a lot more I can't think off for now... Those who have Iain Rice's book might look through there for any other things.
Those same people might like to look at his diamond crossing and "Semi-Outside" (whatever that means) single slip. Count up how many errors you can find in each - we will compare notes next time :D

Speaking of books, anyone who thinks they might get bitten by the track building bug might want to invest in a copy of GWR Switch and Crossing Practice by David J Smith. You DON'T have to be a GW man to get value from it - although GW practice differed from REA in many ways, lots of the principles are common and the drawings are very useful in understanding just how track is built. It is available from the GW Study group.

Hope that helps for now...

Best Wishes,

Howard

Return to “Nottingham Area Group (NAG)”