Test Track baseboards

Moderator: ken kirk

JFS

Test Track baseboards

Postby JFS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello Chaps,

I was browsing RMWeb and came across this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... tford-new/

Might be a useful input to discussions regarding how we do our baseboards.

Regards,

Howard.

RedDragon

Re: Test Track baseboards

Postby RedDragon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Just to let everyone know that Howard sent me the PDF's for the proposed test track a few days ago. These have now been printed off on the plotter so I now have 12 large sheets detailing the track layout. I will bring these along to next weeks meeting to let everyone have a look and it will be the first time I have the chance to lay them all out to see the overall size.

They will still need to be finally checked by Howard to make sure he is happy with them although he is not likely to be at the next meeting. I will arrange to get them over to him later next week to check them over.

Steve

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:14 am

JFS wrote:Hello Chaps,

I was browsing RMWeb and came across this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... tford-new/

Might be a useful input to discussions regarding how we do our baseboards.

When Howard mentioned the use of 6mm MDF for the baseboards I had some reservations and it seems that John Farmer's posting confirmed it. He has told me about his problems and they are a bit unique since he lives right by the sea. Not such a problem in Nottingham. If you have read my baseboard articles in the News you will have seen my recommendation to use birch playwood so if the test track boards are going to be built in a fairly conventional manner I would strongly advise 6mm birch ply or even 9mm. It will of course cost a lot more. However this has to be balanced against the time and cost of having to relay track if it all goes wrong. In my view MDF is usless for baseboards. (Someone will probably now tell me of a succes story!) The foam idea that John is using is good and it sound like it will work. My concern is that the thickness of the top makes things like working turnouts and doing the wiring more difficult.

Terry Bendall

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 am

Terry forgets to mention the H&S concerns with MDF. If this is to be used do it outside and wear a mask when cutting and filing! Sealing the edges is also good practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...
Avoiding the soaps ...
http://www.greatcentralmodels.co.uk

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
The foam idea that John is using is good and it sound like it will work. My concern is that the thickness of the top makes things like working turnouts and doing the wiring more difficult.

Terry Bendall

Not a problem if you are going to use Tortoise motors Terry. After cutting a 50mm x 50mm hole through the foamboard, glue the pointwork to a 4mm ply 'template' and then gluing the assembly fitted with Exactoscale AXX TAP0 Tortoise adaptor plates the motor will protude below the 50mm foam making the wiring easily accessible job. I grant you that I haven't thought about manual underboard point control, I'm sure that a way can be found.

What I like about this 'new' method is that the two boards that I made 18 months ago and kept stored in a damp garage is that they've stayed absolutely true. And the torsional strength is exceptional. With both feet standing on the 100mm x 4mm ply surround twisting the board is nigh on impossible!

For portable layouts this method the 'way ahead' for me :) .
John

JFS

Postby JFS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Re6/6 wrote:I grant you that I haven't thought about manual underboard point control, I'm sure that a way can be found.

Many thanks for this John, and since this is a Test Track I am hoping that we will try a few options for baseboards including foam - though I think the position of baseboard gaffer is still vacant! We will also be operating at least some of the points mechanically and I am sure we can find a solution.

One question from me - often When I want to attach things to the underside, I run a wood screw in and solder stuff to it. Examples being copper busbars, wiring supports, point rodding supports etc. Oviously, this will not be an option with foam, so what do you do for this issue?

Howard,

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:39 am

John Bateson wrote:Terry forgets to mention the H&S concerns with MDF. If this is to be used do it outside and wear a mask when cutting and filing! Sealing the edges is also good practice.

John makes a fair point about this. Having spent the last 11 years working for an organisation that provides heath and safety advice to schools in the area of design and technology I have spent quite a lot of time advising on dust control. At one time there were some scare stories around about MDF but some were not true. The guidance from the Health and Safety Executive is that MDF can be used but there needs to be some way of controlling the dust and this applies whatever the material is that is being used. In industry and in schools, dust extraction equipment would be used but for any individual or group making baseboards this would not be an economical proposition. A face mask can be used but it needs to be of the correct grade. There are different types and what is needed for MDF or any other wood dust is one that conforms to BS EN 149 and marked FFP2 or FFP2S. Most DIY shops should stock these. A mask graded FFP1, or one which is described as a Nuisance dust mask will not guard against the very fine dust which is the most hazardous.
One graded FFP3 is even better. However, once all the cutting and shaping is done, no dust should be produced so the material is then safe.

Terry Bendall

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 am

John Bateson wrote: Sealing the edges is also good practice.

If using the stuff this is essential if you are in a damp part of the country. We didn't and are now suffering the consequences of swelling and contracting!

Regarding the health implications of using MDF the additional info here http://www.lhc.org.uk/members/pubs/factsht/46fact.htm might help.

JFS wrote: One question from me - often When I want to attach things to the underside, I run a wood screw in and solder stuff to it. Examples being copper busbars, wiring supports, point rodding supports etc. Oviously, this will not be an option with foam, so what do you do for this issue?

Howard, not having got as far as 'underboard stuff' yet, I'm planning to use ply strips/pieces (4mm or less) glued to the underside to facilitate this.
Regarding using screws directly into the pink stuff I've just tried a 1.5" x 8 woodscrew into it and could only pull it out when gripped and firmly pulled with a pair of pliers. Perhaps using brass woodscrews would be suitable, maybe tinning the head first. For piece of mind I suppose that you could use a coarser threaded screw (a 10 or a 12) Just a thought, as they say!

As I've remarked before this method is the only way ahead for me. It's remarkably quick, easy, strong and lightweight. I will report back when I've progressed with the 'two running' in boards for our Ouse Valley Viaduct project.
John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 am

:o
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:49 am

I'm going to add a bit to this. I find MDF horribly heavy for what it is. I'll try and bring a bit of board along tonight with my solutions and some photos of made up boards and track and the test track I've mentioned to Ken and Terry.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:The plan of the test track has not been published on the Forum, so many people commenting here on the construction methods have no idea what shape and size the baseboards will be. Narrow, curved boards would (I assume) present different challenges to wide, rectangular boards.

Here are couple of snaps of curved board contruction if they are of help. They too are pretty twist resistant. I may or may not put on additional underside bracing (25mm deep). It probably may not be necessary.

001.JPG
001.JPG (20.29 KiB) Viewed 8042 times

002.JPG
002.JPG (17.81 KiB) Viewed 8042 times
John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:31 am

:cry:
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm

When I set it up I had if I remember, my newly converted Hymek running round it. I've done a rough calculation and believe the outside diameter is 11 feet.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Hardwick wrote:When I set it up I had if I remember, my newly converted Hymek running round it. I've done a rough calculation and believe the outside diameter is 11 feet.

Having had access to the NLG's circular test track on Monday night, I can't over-emphasise how great an advantage having something like this is.

The phrase "every Area Group should have one..." springs to mind!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:14 am

Flymo748 wrote:The phrase "every Area Group should have one..." springs to mind!

There is of course the problems of funing test tracks, building them and storing them when not inn use. However it is a very good idea and perhaps where thyere are area groups fairly close together, two or more groups might get together to share costs and storage.

We have not had a test track at Scaleforum for several year. There are mixed views on their value since they take up room. have costs to bring, and are of limited entertainment value. However the sight of a long train running at speed is quite impressive and I have no objections to including one from time to time. We don't have room for a test track this year since there are several large exhibits coming, but if there is an area group that has one and wants to bring it in the future, please let me know.

Terry Bendall

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:41 am

Terry Bendall wrote:if there is an area group that has one and wants to bring it in the future, please let me know.

Terry Bendall

<cough>
Rod

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

Flymo748 wrote:The phrase "every Area Group should have one..." springs to mind!

Couldn't agree more!.....
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Hopefully we will have a 'ribbon busting' ceremony at our next meeting to celebrate full running on all tracks and pointwork. :D

As a reminder here are a couple of snaps of it at an earlier stage.
TT2 1.jpg
TT2 1.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 7731 times

TT2.jpg
TT2.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 7731 times
John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am

:cry:
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:51 am

Flymo

Agreed. One of the best recruitment aids. There's nothing like being asked "Would you like to come a play trains?" as a way of getting people to join. Maybe the committee ought to provide one F of C to every AG as a way of promoting the society.
Getting it Alright

Penrhos Junctions near Caerphilly - Barry Rly, Rhymney Rly and A(N&SW)D&R 1920 and pseudo modern image in S4F
and
Awrhyllgwami for DEMU challenge
and
Dispelling the P4 drop in wheel myth
and
TOERAG Obergruppenführer

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Penrhos1920 wrote:Maybe the committee ought to provide one F of C to every AG as a way of promoting the society.

F of C ?

We'll need to know what an F of C is first before we can provide one.

Sorry if I'm being dense,
Danny

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm

I assume he means 'free of charge' Danny?

Or of course it could be 'foot of cork', or maybe 'fillet of chicken'? 'Flagon of claret' would be nice.
Rod

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:I assume he means 'free of charge' Danny?

Or of course it could be 'foot of cork', or maybe 'fillet of chicken'? 'Flagon of claret' would be nice.

Thanks Rod,

I'm with you though, Flagon of Claret for me. Ch. Cos Destournel, Ch La Lagune or Vieux Ch Certan if you fancy a Pomerol :D

All the Best
Danny

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Free of Charge
Getting it Alright

Penrhos Junctions near Caerphilly - Barry Rly, Rhymney Rly and A(N&SW)D&R 1920 and pseudo modern image in S4F
and
Awrhyllgwami for DEMU challenge
and
Dispelling the P4 drop in wheel myth
and
TOERAG Obergruppenführer

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 pm

We need a test track too - Gordon step forward - test track is this year's must have accessory.....
Tim V

Return to “Nottingham Area Group (NAG)”