Learning to build Track

Moderator: ken kirk

Armchair Modeller

Re: Learning to build Track

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 pm

:thumb
Last edited by Armchair Modeller on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:59 am

Howard, I am tremendously impressed by your trackwork and would love to learn more about the layout of which it will be a part. You call it "Minories" but good old CJF's original was a clever use of standard Peco products to produce a deceptively impressive station. Your track is much more like the real thing, adopting slips to save space, etc.

I wonder if you could post a plan of the layout and a fuller description of your aims, the layout's period, setting etc.?

TIA

Ian
Last edited by Ian Everett on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 am

clecklewyke wrote:I wonder if you could post a plan of the layout and more description of your aims, the layout\s period, setting etc.?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the kind words.

The plan is exactly as per the larger of CJF's plans for a small terminus in 60 Plans for Smaller Layouts (which I was give as a boy of 8, 50 years ago!) and which only later got the Minories name. Of course, I compressed the individual crossovers to overlap, which means that I can actually fit scale track into a shorter length than Peco would occupy! Beyond that, there are only 2 changes to CJF's concept. Firstly, the two sidings are used as carriage sidings, rather than as goods sidings, and secondly, rather than being a GE/LNER branch, it is a branch off the East London line just north of Wapping, heading eastwards under the London Docks, to terminate in Minories - about 150 yards north of Fenchurch Street. In my version of history, the LBSCR, rather than losing interest in the ELR - as they did in reality - extended a branch to Minories as a way of accessing the City more directly than by means of London Bridge. The Old Kent Road spur - rather than being lifted in 1916, providing access to the South London Line and therefore,the branch was Electrified on the Overhead as part of the South London Scheme, which the Southern subsequently converted to thrid rail. Ironic, that after 40 years of slumber under the District, then LU, this has actually become the reality of the East London line in the last few years!

Because of the Location, the line was built as cut-and-cover, with the station located in a hole in the ground (a-la Whitechapel Met-District) hence the cramped layout. The terminus is mechanically signalled from an LBSC "South London" Syle box with a 30 lever Saxby and Farmer "Rocker"frame. [the box diagram appears in the "Further distactions ..." thread in this forum] Block working is by Sykes Lock and Block to Wapping Junction, which is a power box with a 55 lever Westinghouse frame. Intermediate Block Signals are provided in both directions giving a 3 minute headway between trains. The layout at Canal Junction gives access to both New Cross and New Cross Gate stations and hence, at peak hours, services operate not only to Central Section, but also to Kent Coast destinations. Off-peak services comprise a 20minute frequency to Victoria alternately via the South London or via Thornton Heath. If I were really greedy, I could have a triangular junction at Wapping giving me access to Liverpool Street and the whole of the ex. GER as well - but I am not....

I am setting the period as 1959 so that I can use the Bachman 2-EPBs and also 4 CEPs - at that time running Central Section services pending completion of the Kent Coast Electrication - which therefore allows steam worked peak hours services to the North Kent.

The bottom line of that load of old crxp is that I can make 5 movements in every 3 minutes without stretching any real life operating rules, and with almost any ex SR stock I can build!

As it is currently, the platform will take 6 car EMUs in platform 1 and 2 plus 6 coach plus two locos (one at each end) in platform 1. But the idea is to extend this to eight cars in due course.

Hope that helps,

Best Wishes,

Howard.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Howard,

There is a currently-running topic (now up to 7 pages) about the Minories track plan and the operating practices of such termini here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... an-wanted/

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. And counting ...

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Martin,

Many thanks for the link - I do remember looking at this a while back but I see it has grown legs since then! I also notice several references to these ramblings I can't post in RMweb (they booted me out a year or so back for speaking my mind) but the answer to the question posted about is it portable is "yes" - it was designed so that all point and signals are on a single board and so can all be mechanically worked from the frame.

As I said very originally in this thread - a solution like this would simply not be possible without Templot! - So many thanks again to yourself :thumb

Best Wishes,

H.

JFS

Postby JFS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

Dear all,

Since we are discussing track just now, and plastic functional chairs came up in discussion last Tuesday, I thought it might be worth posting an updated pic of where my effort has got to of late. In truth, there has not been much progress on the track front of late as most effort has been going into the below baseboard bits, however, all the points are now connected to the frame and the basic wiring is done so trains are at last on the move.

So this is the state of play as of this morning.

Track 3rd Decmber 2012 f22 trimmed Small.jpg

You can see from the pic that the facing point locks remain to be fitted and connected and that a number of slide chairs are missing (luckily I still had some of Exactoscale P4 variety in stock - but only a precious few...)

Here is a pic of the one finished Ambis FPL

Ambis FPL small.jpg
Ambis FPL small.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 5654 times

Well, perhaps not quite finished as I see that the detector rods are not yet fitted - but it does at least work.

(Oh, and then there is the small matter of the Third Rail, for which only the ground connections exist so far...)

Hope that is of interest - perhaps I will bring the board along to the January session if anyone wants a closer look.

Best wishes,

Howard.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 am

Fabulous stuff.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Stunning work Howard! Beautiful.....

Steve

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 am

Hello Howard,

I was just re-reading this thread and have a quick question from your first post. You say you tack solder the formations on strips of nickel silver. I assume you use the same thickness for the strip as the chair base so that it all sits flat on the sleepers? And that you have these strips positioned to match up with sleepers on your template? Sorry if you've answered these before.

Also, please, what is your maximum train length in the fiddle yard on Minories? I enjoyed seeing it at Scaleforum with the relative motion of trains next to each other in a tight space.

Thanks

Andrew

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Howard,

Having seen the layout at Scaleforum I've re-read this thread to give me some pointers on track building methods, and which system to adopt, for my new project.

I have a couple of queries, first, what have you used to stain/pain the timbering and second, does this have a material affect of the bonding of the chairs to the ply? I am assuming the sleepers are stained and that this does not affect bonding materially whereas painting the timbers might reduce the strength of the bond.

I'd welcome your advice.

Thanks

Jeremy

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:23 pm

Hello Howard,

I've re-read this thread many times and have a very basic question - in your first post and first photo you mention that you build over length and cut to size which is great, impressive and bespoke. You say you use a piercing saw. Is this because it's easier to cut accurately to a mark with a saw rather than using track cutters and filing back or because it gives you a more accurate square rail end straight away? Your comment about the kerf giving an easily judged gap for the fishplate join is again, I'm guessing, about an easy tip for marking out, cutting and getting a workable gap?

I have been wondering how to join critical rail distances where two vital rail lengths need to join up. In some ways it would be easier to break it into 3 and position ends and then fill the gap with a small straight piece but I guess with your experience you can make two important geometric pieces with overlength rail endings and then just cut to fit?

The diagrams in your vee tutorial (and Martin W's posts) are very helpful.

Many thanks

Andrew

Return to “East Midlands Area Group”