NAG Meeting 19th October 2017

Moderator: ken kirk

RobM

NAG Meeting 19th October 2017

Postby RobM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 am

Ten members attended.

Five members attended Tony Wilkins’ teach-in on the steps necessary to make a pair of switch blades. This was a reprise of the demonstration he gave before, this time using nickel-silver rail, for the benefit of those who could not previously attend and as revision for those who previously had.

Of the remaining four attendees:
Bevis recommenced work on a Ratio kit of a SR 28 Ton Bogie ‘B’ Parcels Van,
David was attending to his L&Y Class 27 0-6-0, built from a Craftsman Kit.
Martin had started work on an Advanced Starting Signal for his Ecclestone layout, using etched parts from Model Signal Engineering,
I was continuing with the construction of the Fowler 3,500 gallon tender for the Brassmasters’ original Patriot.

Following the request on the Scalefour Forum from Allan Ferguson for further details, Nigel had brought his model of Cupar Station (so far as it has progressed) in to the meeting so that some photographs and background to the model could be recorded. Nigel had obtained a large number of photographs (and detailed plans and drawings which had been based upon them) from a now deceased member of the Scalefour Society. Nigel has used these drawings and photographs to scratch build a model of the station using a variety of materials (mainly cardboard but including wood and plasticard). The progress so far can be judged from the attached photographs.

cupar01.jpg
cupar01.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 917 times

cupar02.jpg
cupar02.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 917 times

cupar03.jpg
cupar03.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 917 times

Forthcoming attractions

Tony will continue his trackbuilding mini-workshops on Thursday nights. Next week (28/10/2017) he will present ‘Crossing V’s’.

Len Pinder
21 October 2017
http://www.robmilliken.co.uk
Updated December 2016

Le Corbusier

Re: NAG Meeting 19th October 2017

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 am

Wow! .... love the station model :thumb
Tim Lee

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 pm

That's a lovely model and captures the feel of the 1847 station very well. As you may know that (down side) building is virtually unchanged since it was built, although the station house is now privately occupied (by a local historian!).
If I can be of any help with photographs or other information please let me know. Thank you very much for posting this.

Allan F

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 am

Like Allan Ferguson and Chris, :)

we will be looking forward to seeing this model develop. Thanks Rob for drawing attention to Nigel's model it is coming on a treat. He will need a fair bit of space to make the most of the long sweeping curve.

Allan :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Gentlemen, I have passed on your comments to Nigel. As far as I am aware he does not frequent the forum. Hopefully more photos will be forthcoming.
Rob
Updated December 2016

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks Rob, :thumb
we will look forward to seeing them. Do you have some postings of this coal mine you are building? We might be able to put our two layouts together some day if you fancy the idea.

Allan

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 am

Hi Allan,
The only postings so far are those on my Workbench page https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=5586&start=75
Currently I am working through a number of buildings. Will be getting a baseboard at S4North and will then start track laying.
Would be fun putting the 2 layouts together at sometime..... :thumb
Rob
Updated December 2016

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Rob, :)

spent some time this morning going over your posts - I have a set of the internal parts for working screens, made back in the 1980's when we were building a colliery layout called Bonnybridge during my period as Chairman of the East of Scotland 4mm Group. Must dig out some photographs. I note you are working on 2'x4'boards It may be possible to connect up some day - a couple of years off perhaps. The colliery line I am building had connections to two different collieries. I will be at Scalefour North Rob, I am doing a demo so we could possibly have a chat then. You never know. I am intending taking my layout to shows and perhaps have some of the local S4 members come along and run trains - thought that might be fun and also cut costs for the exhibition organisers. You would be most welcome to be a guest operator. :)

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi Allan,
I've gone on to reply within my Workbench thread just to keep all together.
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=5586&start=100
Rob
Updated December 2016

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 am

Allan Goodwillie wrote:I am intending taking my layout to shows and perhaps have some of the local S4 members come along and run trains

Class 58 and a rake of HAA hoppers perhaps? Or in an earlier picture double headed class 56s? :D :D

Terry Bendall

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Why not? They would be most welcome Terry.

One of the intentions of those starting S4 (or P4 as was then) was that anyone's stock should be capable of running on anyone's layout. Although this is not always possible the Buckhaven branch being the secondary railway on the layout will be laid to generous enough curves that it should be capable of taking almost any loco or stock. (Even uncompensated) I just thought it might be fun at a Scalefourum or Scalefour North to see just what people turn up with, who are building beautiful models at home but who are unlikely ever to show them working on an exhibition layout.

The purists can have the layout with its regular stock operating for most of the time, but a happy hour twice a day would be good and it might be a chance for people to show off some of their wonderful models. For us it would be a chance to get to know other members of the Society and enjoy their company at least for a little while.

Those of us who are happy to lend stock for another layout have this pleasure and I thought it would be nice to open up the possibility for others. At the moment I often supply stock for John Stocks layout until he gets all his lovely Midland stock built and also supply stock for Richard Darby's layout It when we are out and about, as well as the two club layouts. It is good to see your engines etc. working through different landscapes and seasons.

I will try to make sure it is capable of DCC as well as DC operation.

Allan :)

Return to “Nottingham Area Group (NAG)”