brakes for 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
andrewnummelin

brakes for 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Postby andrewnummelin » Thu May 18, 2023 3:48 pm

I'm building a few old coaches and have hit a problem. It seems like the W-iron etches from Bill Bedford had only half the number of brake hangers/blocks needed. Whilst I could make new ones this would be very tedious for a whole train so I looked around well known suppliers of bits and pieces but failed to find any. Have I not been looking thoroughly?
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

barhamd

Re: brakes for 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Postby barhamd » Thu May 18, 2023 7:28 pm

I 3D printed these for my coaches and horse box. These were designed for a 14mm diameter wheel to fit Bill Bedford sprung bogies.
aIMG_9932.jpg

PR me if you want some for the cost of postage + something towards the resin

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri May 19, 2023 7:04 am

andrewnummelin wrote:I'm building a few old coaches and have hit a problem. It seems like the W-iron etches from Bill Bedford had only half the number of brake hangers/blocks needed. Whilst I could make new ones this would be very tedious for a whole train so I looked around well known suppliers of bits and pieces but failed to find any. Have I not been looking thoroughly?

In general six-wheeled coaches did not have brakes on the centre axle. There were exceptions but they tended to have been built post-grouping.

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Fri May 19, 2023 10:59 am

barhamd wrote:I 3D printed these for my coaches and horse box. These were designed for a 14mm diameter wheel to fit Bill Bedford sprung bogies.
aIMG_9932.jpg
PR me if you want some for the cost of postage + something towards the resin

David

David, very many thanks for the offer but the design would not fit my model. Seeing what you have done is yet another nudge to seriously consider getting a 3D printer.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Fri May 19, 2023 11:11 am

billbedford wrote:
andrewnummelin wrote:I'm building a few old coaches and have hit a problem. It seems like the W-iron etches from Bill Bedford had only half the number of brake hangers/blocks needed. Whilst I could make new ones this would be very tedious for a whole train so I looked around well known suppliers of bits and pieces but failed to find any. Have I not been looking thoroughly?

In general six-wheeled coaches did not have brakes on the centre axle. There were exceptions but they tended to have been built post-grouping.

Bill, unfortunately the drawing of the 6 wheeler I'm modelling shows brakes on the centre wheel; but I don't have a good enough photo to prove the point so I may well take the easy way out and leave them off. If anyone turns up a photo to prove me wrong I'll just ...
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Return to “Where to Find?”