Modelling resources by railway company

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Winander

Re: Modelling resources by railway company

Postby Winander » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks for making that change Noel. I was confused as to which line it was, but it demonstrates the utility of a wiki, you saw an error and were able to go and change it. I don't like Wiki syntax either.

The link problem was because I had used the wiki software's quick link to wikipedia and Noel then added the full http link. I have now fixed it.

I think the syntax is to make editing simpler, which it is if you compare it to HTML.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:51 pm

If anyone dislikes using wiki syntax, then don't. Just type text into the page, I don't think anyone will mind - the important thing is you have made something useful for others.
Richard Hodgson

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Winander wrote:If anyone dislikes using wiki syntax, then don't. Just type text into the page, I don't think anyone will mind - the important thing is you have made something useful for others.

This is fine for new entries, but if you choose [or need] to alter what someone else has done then you have to be able to cope with the method they have used originally, or just type your alteration on the end and leave it for another user to sort out, which is a recipe for chaos. You will note I didn't get it right, and I never found why or how you had done what you did. It makes perfect sense now, but I think that I would still have trouble finding the instructions on how to replicate it, even though I now know what I would be looking for {which I didn't before you told me]. I have the necessary skills to do so, but I really don't want to waste that much time. My view is that this software is not at all user friendly, and I suspect most potential users will probably be even less inclined to spend time on it than I am.
Regards
Noel

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:50 pm

Hello all,

It's been a year since I posted the attached table. I haven't checked each and every of the links to ensure they still work. If anyone has come across any changes that need updating, please do let me know.

As a quick reprise, these are the ones that were identified as having modelling resources that may be of use to the 4mm modeller:

Caledonian Railway 
Colonel Stephens railways
Cumbrian Railways
Glasgow and South Western Railway 
Great Eastern Railway 
Great North of Scotland Railway 
Great Western Railway (Broad Gauge)
Great Western Railway
Highland Railway 
Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway 
London and North Western Railway 
London, Brighton and South Coast Railway 
London, Midland and Scottish Railway 
Midland Railway 
North British Railway 
North Staffordshire Railway 
South Eastern & Chatham Railway
Southern Railway 
Welsh railways circle (various)
Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway

Cheers
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:01 pm

Hi Paul

It might be worth altering it so that the Furness Railway and Maryport & Carilsle Railway in particular as the two significant pre-Grouping concerns in what is now Cumbria get their own row(s), with the resources to be found on the Cumbrian Railways Association. Those of us interested in railways in these parts will know the distinction and may already be members of the excellent CRA, but putting in the names of the FR and M&C explicitly would help for those searching the internet for information.

All the best

Neil

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:46 pm

Paul Willis wrote:Hello all,

It's been a year since I posted the attached table. I haven't checked each and every of the links to ensure they still work. If anyone has come across any changes that need updating, please do let me know.

As a quick reprise, these are the ones that were identified as having modelling resources that may be of use to the 4mm modeller:

Caledonian Railway 
Colonel Stephens railways
Cumbrian Railways
Glasgow and South Western Railway 
Great Eastern Railway 
Great North of Scotland Railway 
Great Western Railway (Broad Gauge)
Great Western Railway
Highland Railway 
Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway 
London and North Western Railway 
London, Brighton and South Coast Railway 
London, Midland and Scottish Railway 
Midland Railway 
North British Railway 
North Staffordshire Railway 
South Eastern & Chatham Railway
Southern Railway 
Welsh railways circle (various)
Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway

Cheers
Paul

I notice the NER has a "no" in the modelling resources webpage column, Paul. What would you need there? Something like the NBRSG page - a list of known models past and present?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:05 pm

Daddyman wrote:I notice the NER has a "no" in the modelling resources webpage column, Paul. What would you need there? Something like the NBRSG page - a list of known models past and present?

Hi David,

I think that is a typo in NER?

I've googled NBRSG and found this: https://www.nbrstudygroup.co.uk/modelling/modelling.php

That's exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for. Very many thanks. I'll add it to the table when I update it and publish a new version here.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:06 pm

Neil Smith wrote:Hi Paul

It might be worth altering it so that the Furness Railway and Maryport & Carilsle Railway in particular as the two significant pre-Grouping concerns in what is now Cumbria get their own row(s), with the resources to be found on the Cumbrian Railways Association. Those of us interested in railways in these parts will know the distinction and may already be members of the excellent CRA, but putting in the names of the FR and M&C explicitly would help for those searching the internet for information.

All the best

Neil

Thanks Neil - I'll do that. If you can provide any specific modelling links that would be helpful for each line, do let me know either here or by PM.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:23 am

The links for the LBSCR still work. :)

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:40 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:The links for the LBSCR still work. :)

Terry Bendall

Thanks Terry! Nice to get the feedback :-)

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Winander

Postby Winander » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:52 pm

Paul Willis wrote:
Neil Smith wrote:Hi Paul

All the best

Neil

Thanks Neil - I'll do that. If you can provide any specific modelling links that would be helpful for each line, do let me know either here or by PM.

Cheers
Paul

Paul,

May be worth linking to this page https://cumbrianrailways.org.uk/history.php as it lists Cumbria Railway Association's coverage of local lines incl. Furness, M&C Railways and others or look in the wiki where I have listed most of the lines separately.

I have also just checked all the links on the wiki page that was produced after publication of Paul's original spreadsheet. It has not been revised in line with the update just published.
https://www.scalefour.org/members/notes ... -resources
Richard Hodgson

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:34 pm

Thanks Richard - Neil and I have been discussing the various resources available, to include those in the current update.

I'll have a look at updating the Wiki when I've finished the amendments.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Where to Find?”