Modelling resources by railway company

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Modelling resources by railway company

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Following my announcement of the 4mm modelling product list from the Great Eastern Railway Society, I've taken up the challenge to collate as much information as possible on similar resources.

Roughly two-thirds of pre-Nationalisation railway companies of note (i.e. not the Mumbles Railway and its ilk) have a dedicated line society with an online presence of varying degrees of professionalism. Out of that population, roughly half produce lists of relevant models, covering scales including 4mm. As befits its character, the Colonel Stephens railways have a unique approach :-)

The attached table includes all links I could find to the societies, and their lists of models. The file is an Excel (.xls) one. The line societies with modelling lists are:

Colonel Stephens railways (various)
    Cumbrian Railways
    Glasgow and South Western Railway 
    Great Eastern Railway 
    Great North of Scotland Railway 
    Great Western Railway (broad gauge)
    Great Western Railway
    Highland Railway 
    Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway 
    London and North Western Railway 
    London, Brighton and South Coast Railway 
    London, Midland and Scottish Railway 
    Midland Railway 
    North British Railway 
    North Staffordshire Railway 
    South Eastern & Chatham Railway
    Southern Railway
    Welsh railways circle (various)
    Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway

I hope that this is of use to many people, and naturally I look forward to hearing of any additions or corrections.

Cheers
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

andrewnummelin

Re: Modelling resources by railway company

Postby andrewnummelin » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:21 am

Although the individual Welsh railway companies do not generally have dedicated societies, there is the Welsh Railways Research Circle. The Circle has produced data sheets on available models and there is some information on its web site
https://wrrc.org.uk/links_modeling.php - more information is available in the members’ area.

(I declare an interest as secretary of the Circle.)
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:25 pm

andrewnummelin wrote:Although the individual Welsh railway companies do not generally have dedicated societies, there is the Welsh Railways Research Circle. The Circle has produced data sheets on available models and there is some information on its web site
https://wrrc.org.uk/links_modeling.php - more information is available in the members’ area.

(I declare an interest as secretary of the Circle.)

Thanks Andrew. Spreadsheet duly updated, and post amended above.

The declaration of the conflict of interest is noted, but fortunately I'm doing this as a hobby, not for the day job ;-)

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Mario KESR

Postby Mario KESR » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:29 pm

Thanks for the list Mr Willis.I like the way Colonel Stephens and his railways are top of the list.

Regards Mario

seanmcs

Postby seanmcs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:57 am

Paul: Maybe add GWR Modelling?

Best. Sean

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:25 am

seanmcs wrote:Paul: Maybe add GWR Modelling?

Best. Sean

Morning Sean,

In what way? I added the GWS as part of Didcot under the line Society. Do they/someone else maintain a list of models?

I'm afraid that I'm not expert in the arcane ways of things Green With Rivets. Although I must add the GWR(BG) as separate - that's a thought.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

kelly

Postby kelly » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:56 am

A useful resource, thanks for compiling.

Perhaps this list at srmeg.org.uk might be of use for it? it is a list covering multiple scales for all things Southern and constituents, though it hasn't been updated for a while.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:41 am

Paul Willis wrote:
seanmcs wrote:Paul: Maybe add GWR Modelling?

Best. Sean

Morning Sean,

In what way? I added the GWS as part of Didcot under the line Society. Do they/someone else maintain a list of models?

http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits.html

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:58 pm

Thank you Bill, Kelly.

Both links now added to the spreadsheet and the original post updated.

Much appreciated,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

seanmcs

Postby seanmcs » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 am

I lost my computer for a while and thanks to Bill Bedford for posting the site I had in mind.

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:49 am

I would suggest this resource, rather than being available only on this Forum, were made available on the Society's main site. The 'Downloads' section would be the obvious place under a new sub-section 'Modelling Resources'. This would make it easier to find.

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am

Regards
Noel

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 am

I can't see any link in the Members' section to any 'Notes' and it would also be an extra click to get there. Having followed your link (I wasn't aware this existed), the Notes section, its appearance does not really encourage one to explore.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:39 am

I suggest that this URL to the list" https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/manufact ... /A/scale04

Unlike many of the line society websites, individual entries are updated around once a year.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:11 pm

David B wrote:I can't see any link in the Members' section to any 'Notes' and it would also be an extra click to get there

The link to 'Notes' is in the top line of the forum header, between 'Digests' and 'Stores'. Just one click from here.
You will need a few clicks wherever it is as its not going to be on the front page directly.

having it in 'Notes' means that it can be kept up to date by any member or members. On the main website pages it would fall to the webmaster. Its good to share the workload so things are done by those most interested.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Thanks, Keith. I was looking on the main Society website as Noel had given the link for there. I never thought to look at the top of the Forum - it's not very obvious.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:04 pm

From the March Committee report:

Update from the website project group: the group has held three meetings and a general overhaul of the look of the website has emerged as a first priority - so expect a request for any member with expertise in website design to appear shortly. Other more specific areas have been identified as early candidates for overhaul but these are likely to follow once work on the appearance of the site is complete.
Rod

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:23 pm

David B wrote:Thanks, Keith. I was looking on the main Society website as Noel had given the link for there.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 122924.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Noel

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm

I had clearly not done enough clicking as this is what I saw when I opened the Members bit:
Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 18.49.54.png

There is nothing here to indicate the presence of the 'Notes' section.

To me, this is another example of the difficulty there is in finding some material on the Society's website. There is material, such as the Notes, whose presence is 'hidden' be it behind more clicks or not being clearly indicated.

I was in discussion with someone last year when we wanted to check something in the constitution. It took both of us a long time to find it.

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:29 pm

David - that's because you need to login to the 'Members Area" of the site to get to the Notes section. The link is not present until you login, as you have to do to access the other members only areas, Scalefour News archives, Stores etc.

Thanks,
Alastair

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Actually, from that page, which is to indicate to non-members that there is much more for members, you need to click on the link right at the bottom,
ie. "Continue to Members only Homepage"

For members, much better to set your bookmark to take you to the forum, New Posts' page from where everything is easy to access.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David B

Postby David B » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:07 pm

Then why, on opening the 'Members Area' link from the main menu, are other aspects mentioned which are for the eyes of members only but not the Notes?

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:05 pm

The benefits of placing information such as this on the wiki are, I believe numerous.

But the main reason is that it is simply more accessible, so here it is https://www.scalefour.org/members/notes/railway-companies-line-societies-and-modelling-resources
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Alexandra Docks station on the Liverpool Overhead not being a company, I assume this was an error for the Alexandra (N&SW) Docks and Railway and have corrected the entry. I am now more than ever convinced that I do not like the syntax of Notes, however useful a wiki may be.
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 pm

I suppose there is some reason why Wikis use their own syntax, however the link to Alexandra docks doesn't work, some problem with brackets ! :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Where to Find?”