Wagon turntables

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Simon Moore

Wagon turntables

Postby Simon Moore » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:44 pm

I'm looking at how i am going to tackle parts of my layout & tryimg to get a good picture in my head of how i want it to look. I am currently looking at the possibility of having a wagon turntable & wondered if such a item existed from a small supplier?

bevis

Re: Wagon turntables

Postby bevis » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:57 pm

Hi,
My fellow EMAG member Hardwicke has this thread on here: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=6132&hilit=wagon+turntable
Regards,
Bevis

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:40 pm

There is an interesting and useful thread here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/155024-12-wagon-turntable/ on RMweb.

Diagrams in the thread demonstrate that you need 12' turntables which are actually 12'-1" in diameter in order to turn the odd 10'-0" WB wagon, although you still wouldn't want to have to deal with more than the odd one. It's one of the reasons why the LNWR, which was a significant user of wagon turntables, standardised on a maximum wagon wheelbase of 9'-9". 10'-0" WB wagons could, of course, be readily turned on 13' turntables.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:01 pm

Simon Moore wrote:I'm looking at how i am going to tackle parts of my layout & tryimg to get a good picture in my head of how i want it to look. I am currently looking at the possibility of having a wagon turntable & wondered if such a item existed from a small supplier?

Peco Have them for 00-9 - https://peco-uk.com/products/wagon-turn ... 734e&_ss=r
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:31 pm

PH designs do one: http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=8&product_id=138&sort=pd.name&order=ASC&limit=75

Kitwood Hill models do a motorised kit, intended for On30 which I've built in P4. Comes as 2.5" or 3.5" length. Requires some modification to build but I didn't have any problems. I used a DPDT switch to change rail polarity. http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/on30-2-5-industrial-turntable/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:51 pm

That looks nice. Do you use a horse or a windlass to get wagons off the turntable? (I'm not just being mischevious!) I have a concept of a P4 horse with Jackson couplers..........
Allan F

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:41 pm

The plan was to use a High Level flyshunter in a van to bring wagons on and off. Sadly the layout got scrapped due to a required house move. I still have the turntable and the reclaimed track though. One day...! I’ve found some more photos though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Most of the pictures I have seen have had two tracks at right angles to each other on the turntable which would minimise the amount turning required. Was there any logic/company preference to having one or two?
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:17 pm

If I were building one, I'd use a Geneva Mechanism for the movement. Reason being the Geneva means a constant speed motor will give a slow acceleration and deceleration of the wagon turntable.

Second-best option is a servo motor, if only needing 90 degrees, can just direct drive it. And most half-decent servo control boards will get the speed down to "acceptable" levels.

- Nigel

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:53 am

Winander wrote:Most of the pictures I have seen have had two tracks at right angles to each other on the turntable which would minimise the amount turning required.

Turnplates with single tracks and two at right angles seem to be fairly equally common but I have no idea if it was a policy by the company concerned. If there are two tracks, then there will always be a track in line with both the roads. Tracks were not always at right angles. The Wild Swan publication LMS days 1923 - 1947 No. 3 tells the story of Birmingham New Street and includes some useful pictures of Curzon Street Goods where there were numerous turnplates. Midland Record 31 has an article about Bashford Sidings between Mansfield and Nottingham. The gas works at that location had four turnplates, three of which were fitted with small buffer stops to prevent wagons going too far and fouling the adjacent running line

nigelcliffe wrote:If I were building one, I'd use a Geneva Mechanism for the movement. Reason being the Geneva means a constant speed motor will give a slow acceleration and deceleration of the wagon turntable.

A hand operated worm and worm wheel drive is a simple solution to turning. There should of course be working capstans and the turnplates normally have a locking catch. :)

bevis wrote: I am currently looking at the possibility of having a wagon turntable & wondered if such a item existed from a small supplier?

Not difficult to build from scratch. :) Probably a piece of copper clad PCB as a starting point. The ones at Curzon Street had a circular "frame" round the outside which from the pictures looks like it might be a piece of rail bent round.

Terry Bendall

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:26 pm

Basford Gas works had a number as you mention.
Worksop had one just East of Carlton Road level crossing and it might still be under the ballast.
Hull has a number still in situ near Railway Dock. They are one track only.
Liverpool has one I believe.
I saved one from Forge Mill Nottimgham but unfortunately the council took so long to make a decision, the building contractors ripped it out, destroying the spindle and wheels in the process. It was taken to the Midland Railway Butterley but like many things, I beleive has been lost now. It was 13' diametre with two sets of rails at right angles.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:27 pm

PH models make one
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm

I'm still building the PH turntable, but life gets in the way. I've not stopped working during the pandemic...

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:37 pm

There is the pit of a wagon turntable, with some of the peripheral mechanisms, in the historic docks at Exeter.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Broad gauge one at Didcot.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Where to Find?”