Chris Wesson Cellulose Paints

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
jon price

Chris Wesson Cellulose Paints

Postby jon price » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Is Chris Wesson still supplying cellulose poaints? And if so does anyone know how to get hold of them?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Mike Garwood

Re: Chris Wesson Cellulose Paints

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Jon

I've used this seller on ebay for all my cellulose paints. You just need the RAL number to order - available thru a google search. Reasonably price, at least I thought so, bought litre tins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/carworkshopc ... 1586064015

No connection other than a saisfied customer.

Mike

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Mike

Thanks for the link. Do you have a record of what RAL numbers you ordered?

For example, RAL6020 is called Chromium Green, and looks as though it could be OK for BR loco green, but without a colour card it is difficult to be sure.

Ian

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks Mike

I think I need the RAL colour swatch book now.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:03 pm

Ian

I think if you email them and ask for Landrover bronze green or Rover Brooklands green you will get a better match. The cream I use is Talbot Jonquil and the crimson is Ford Venetian red.
If you'd like to see how these colours come out, I can post a picture prior to toning down and once complete.

Mike

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:45 am

jon price wrote:Thanks Mike

I think I need the RAL colour swatch book now.

RAL is a relatively limited range .... There is a far greater availability of colours on the market. Makes life more difficult, but may mean if what you want isn't available in RAL there could well be a match out there. Most suppliers hold or can provide colour cards.
Tim Lee

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 am

Mike

Thanks for the offer to post pictures of the finished results using the colours that you used - yes please!

Ian

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Ian

Here you go...

IMG_0882.jpg

D1807

regards

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks, Mike.
Very nice, and the colours look good to me.
Regards
Ian

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:04 pm

IANATEXTON wrote:Very nice, and the colours look good to me.

I'll happily agree with that, and do much admire the standard of construction as well. However, according to Jenkinson and Essery, this shows the style of the first two lots to D1807, but the third and fourth lots [this vehicle as numbered is from the third lot] had narrow Stones ventilators over the droplights [2nd and 5th from the left] and hooded vents otherwise. I can't see the gangways, but, again according to Jenkinson and Essery, they were scissors for the first two lots, suspended for the other two. They attribute the differences to the change in CME in 1932. I rather wish now that I hadn't looked it up to see what it was...
Regards
Noel

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 am

That looks absolutely terrific, Mike, and has certainly inspired me to investate cellulose paints for future use. It was also very helpful your letting us know a suitable source for such paints.

David

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:50 am

It might be worth spraying up a test price with PPP enamel if you are happy with their colour and taking that to your local supplier to get a colour match. I have done this in the past with LNWR Coach Lake.

When spraying cellulose I have also found it important to use good quality "high gloss" cellulose thinners. The "ordinary" thinners, sometimes referred to as Gun Wash can make it difficult to get a good result.

Postby 45609 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:When spraying cellulose I have also found it important to use good quality "high gloss" cellulose thinners. The "ordinary" thinners, sometimes referred to as Gun Wash can make it difficult to get a good result.

Absolutely, it is a must. Premium, high gloss, or slow thinners gets the best results. I also find the anti-bloom thinners evaporates too quickly for a smooth finish. Best avoided. Just make sure the humidity is low when spraying with HG thinners.

Morgan

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:40 pm

Sorry chaps I made a mistake with the red colour. It's actually Ford Rosso Flame. Age doesn't come by itself!
The same vendor does the high gloss thinners...

563fe4d7-3f0b-423f-a573-7e84f325bfee.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Where to Find?”