Grub screws

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Hardwicke

Grub screws

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm

I thought this posted back on the 3rd of February but evidently my computer issues stopped it. Does anyone know the size of, thread and where to get spare grubscrews for a Branchlines M38 gear?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Philip Hall

Re: Grub screws

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:11 pm

I can’t access my stocks of gears at the moment, but I would try Branchlines. Maybe you already have hence the question, in which case Ultrascale in case they made the gears. The final recourse would be to drill out the gear, tap a new thread a bit bigger (10BA?) and cut the head of a steel screw and slot it.

Philip

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Branchlines don't seem to have updated anything for a few years. Who owns the business now?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Still owned by Brian (can’t remember his surname!) who took it on from Andy Mullins. I too can’t follow his website, apparently it’s a blog, and doesn’t work for me. However, an email to him should elicit a response. I’ve always found him amiable and helpful at shows.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:42 pm

apparently it’s a blog

It was Andy Mullins Blog and I suspect Andy's last entry was to announce the transfer to Brian and its never been updated since.
Well, not quite, after Andy's last entry Brian made the one post in June 2008.
The new owners, Brian and Isabel Osborne, would like to join with all their customers past and present in wishing Andy and Catherine Mullins a happy and enjoyable retirement.
Our aim is to run the business as they have successfully done for the past 20 years plus.
During the change over and relocation of the business there are going to be delays and disruption to the normal service for which we apologise.
Please note new contact details:
PO Box 4293,
WESTBURY
BA13 9AA
Tel/Fax: +44 (0) 1373 822231

The telephone line will be operational from 9 June 2008 and the e-mail address sales@branchlines.com remains unchanged.
Posted by brian at 7:45 am 7 comments: Links to this post

Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Brian doesn't have any web presence and has rejected the idea when asked about it.

However, if you email him (sales@branchlines.com) he usually is quick to respond by email.

His phone is +44(0)1373 822231 - I assume this is still valid.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Reading some of the product lists, it seems the gear wheel is Ultrascale.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm

I can't understand not having a web presence. Branchlines to all intents and purposes looks moribund.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Actually he does have a web prescence, albeit he chooses to ignore it, and it's gradually accumulating comments from potential customers, one as recently as last month.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Branchlines and South Eastern Finecast seem to work together these days. Brian is quite happy to talk on the phone. Weren't him and SEF at S4UM last year?

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 am

I see no problem in not wanting to be involved in the internet. It may be awkward or irritating to some, but so long as he can sustain his business to his own satisfaction who are we to argue? As Paul says, he is happy to talk on the phone and this is often the easiest way to explain a problem and get a solution.

Philip

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:04 am

Bit of news. I have found the missing grubscrew. It was safe in a plastic bag, but as it is so small I initially thought it was dirt !

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks to everyone and I know where to go for spares now.

kelly

Postby kelly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 am

Enigma wrote:Branchlines and South Eastern Finecast seem to work together these days. Brian is quite happy to talk on the phone. Weren't him and SEF at S4UM last year?

Branchlines and south Eastern finecast are jointly working together on the former nucast range. They're still seperate in all other ways.

South Eastern finecast don't tend to attend scalefourum, but do tend to be at expoem.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 am

Philip Hall wrote:I see no problem in not wanting to be involved in the internet. It may be awkward or irritating to some, but so long as he can sustain his business to his own satisfaction who are we to argue? As Paul says, he is happy to talk on the phone and this is often the easiest way to explain a problem and get a solution.

Philip

I agree with you that it is his choice, but he would be well advised to get rid of that blog with the opportunity for people to make comments that may well put off potential customers. Better to just have a simple page with contact details.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Hardwicke wrote:I can't understand not having a web presence. Branchlines to all intents and purposes looks moribund.

the dodo bird comes to mind

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I see no problem in not wanting to be involved in the internet. It may be awkward or irritating to some, but so long as he can sustain his business to his own satisfaction who are we to argue? As Paul says, he is happy to talk on the phone and this is often the easiest way to explain a problem and get a solution.

Philip

sure it would be a great business if it wasn't for the customers

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:39 pm

With reference to the Branchlines website; grovenor-2685 wrote:
I agree with you that it is his choice, but he would be well advised to get rid of that blog with the opportunity for people to make comments that may well put off potential customers. Better to just have a simple page with contact details...

It is curious that no one has made an adverse comment, yet. There is an anonymous comment, posted today.
:idea: Perhaps the website owner has lost the access codes to make any changes.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 am

kelly wrote:South Eastern finecast don't tend to attend scalefourum

Oh yes they do! :D and they have come every year for at least the last 15. So do Branchlines and they have both accepted for this year's show on September 22nd/23rd.

Terry Bendall

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
kelly wrote:South Eastern finecast don't tend to attend scalefourum

Oh yes they do! :D and they have come every year for at least the last 15. So do Branchlines and they have both accepted for this year's show on September 22nd/23rd.

Terry Bendall

Must have been mixing myself up there then!
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Branchlines were at Nottingham and were most helpful. I bought new bushes, springs and connectors for the motor as a precaution to issues identified. There is also a potential issue with the gear wheel. They also informed me that Kean Maygib are still going. Good news.

Return to “Where to Find?”