Looking for moulded or etched lifting ring

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
jon price

Looking for moulded or etched lifting ring

Postby jon price » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:32 pm

That's another finescale mess I've got myself into.Anyone know where I can get something like this? It is a lifting ring. Plastic would be nice, etched would be OK. They need to be cheap as I need lots. About 500 at first. Closest I have got so far is clipping out links of fine chain but this is incredibly laborious and it produces a U staple which only looks approximately correct.
eyelet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Philip Hall

Re: Looking for moulded or etched lifting ring

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:12 pm

You might like to look at Hubert Carr's lists (Model Railway Developments). He does stanchions
for the handrails on Great Western brake vans which look very like what you have drawn but I'm not sure whether the size would be right.

Philip

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:55 pm

305. Stanchions.jpg

Something like this for etching - would just about do for FUD in 3D printing (subject to their validation process)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:21 pm

excellent John, where does this come from?

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 am

Jon,
Very occasionally I offer to do small etches for other P4 modellers.
This one took me a few minutes only on a CAD package. When I saw you needed 500+ it seemed to be expensive at places like Grandtline.
This would be etched at somewhere like PPD in 10' brass to give a thickness of about 1" at full scale.
It would cost about £25 including postage.
If you want to take the risk, I will complete the preparation and email the results to you so that you can order them.
I have done something this small before (lids on oil boxes) but they are difficult to handle and impossible to find in the carpet.
John

jon price

Postby jon price » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:42 am

John

this is brilliant, yes please go ahead. The Grandt line ones would work out ridiculously expensive. As for the juggling and carpet scenario it can't be any worse than the chain splitting approach I have trialed so far. Please mail me with your costs and details of the etching company as I have no experience of this.

The end product is four lifting rings on a small wagon. Six of these wagons sit on a full sized wagon, and they need to be modelled loaded and empty, so for ten wagons, which is the minimum needed to look like actual operation ther will need to be approaching 500. Depending on costs I might well go for two shots to give ample slack for disasters and future expansion.

Jon

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Do these rings attach to the end of a strap iron? If so perhaps a suitable length of the strap could be included on the etch making them easier to handle.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Jon,
Are these the wheeled brick shipping carriers which were loaded onto standard wagons in the Buckley area?
i.e. Plate 103 in WM&CQ Railway by Boyd
and
Photos 100 & 181 in "The Buckley Railway"

You may want to consider a 'strap' if this is the case - also Keith's suggestion.

Some years ago a modeller from just north of here (think it was Dave Catton) wanted to build some of these - but I have not kept the discussion.

There is no cost since the drawing was a matter of a few minutes work and the last stage should take no longer - even with adding the strapping if it is required. And it got me away from the soaps!
John

jon price

Postby jon price » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi John

Very kind. Please send the CAD file and details to my email address. Yes these are the Buckley Traders wagons. I appreciate what Keith says about making the strapping integral, and this is the usual case of "well I wouldn't start from here" as the strapping on the ends of the carts is already in position, it is just the rings that I need. I'm not worried about the join as I have images of several types of cart with different strapping arrangements and different number of planks in the end, and so I'm just aiming at a general representation. The crucial thing is the size, which dictated the number of bricks, a figure which appears to be a constant. first photo bits of plastic as empty carts are prepared
P1291011.JPG
2nd photo empty wagon showing wooden guide rails on deck and swing down retaining bars
P1291016.JPG
3rd photo Mk1 loaded carts, these are the first attempt made of brass with split chain link lifting rings
P1291014.JPG
4th photo wagon with loaded carts on board.
P1291018.JPG
No images of wagon loaded with empty carts as these are still under construction. I will replace the split chain links with etched rings as/when I have them. The wagons are not finished as the buffer heads and shafts are yet to be painted, and the lettering applied to the sides.

essdee

Postby essdee » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:42 am

Jon,

A fascinating prototype and a beautiful little model - nice one!

BW

Steve

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:24 am

jim s-w wrote:Hi Jon See http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/ ... ables.html

I have also used rings from this source - in my case lifting rings on the roof of an 08 shunter. They work very well and come in a range of sizes.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Where to Find?”