3D prints of GER locos

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
grovenor-2685
Forum Team

3D prints of GER locos

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:05 pm

GER modellers might be interested in these http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cdcmodels
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Townsend

Re: 3D prints of GER locos

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:11 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:GER modellers might be interested in these http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cdcmodels
Regards

I have the PLA Millwall Manning-Wardle and can send photos and comments if anyone pms me.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 am

Gosh, the return of the one-piece chassis block! I've got several of those in whitemetal that I thought were only fit to melt down for ballast. Maybe I should dress them up as DD printed and be fashionable again? More seriously, does anyone know what those lumps of nylon measure across the outside of the frames? I remember my first EM conversion with an OO 'block', trundling round with every washer I could scavenge from the back of workshop drawers to pad out its axles. Or alternatively, does anyone know what will glue that material if you want to split and spread it?
David L-T

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:53 am

For the chassis, I'd be more concerned about how much it flexes, given that it's printed in Black, Strong and Fickle plastic.

There were some photos of loco bodies from this designer on RMWeb, IIRC. The quality of the print looked a bit ho-hum, presumably because of the low res of the WSF and lack of polishing. They fall into the awkward zone where printing in FUD is too expensive and the affordable materials don't perform as well as one would like. Which is a pity as I'd rather like some of the Met and MDR locos.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:48 pm

This link to Shapeways just dropped into my email in-box; it contains advice about painting Shapeways 3D printed models. :thumb

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/ ... t=20150924
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Interesting advice (?) "Use ordinary model kit paints" - laquer, enamel, or acrylic? "Let it dry for 6 hours" - long time for acrylic, not enough for laquer or enamel, so is that one of those 'false means'? "Avoid use of gloss" - just for scale appearance, or because of some supposed difference in composition? There does not seem to be any additional guidance in the unabridged version, so it is not really clear what has been 'abridged'.

Useful tip about degreasing in the sonic bath, though - strangely, I only normally do that when I want a high gloss finish, but I'll try it with 3D printed parts before fixing or painting them (when I've decided what paints it's actually safe to use).
David L-T

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:30 am

LesGros wrote:This link to Shapeways just dropped into my email in-box; it contains advice about painting Shapeways 3D printed models. :thumb

Yes, but that page uses models in a material that there locos are not available in.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:44 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:GER modellers might be interested in these http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cdcmodels
Regards

I think that anyone here who purchases the models is likely to be disappointed. Of the two materials these models are offered in, sintered nylon (white/black strong and flexible) has a minimum thickness of 0.7mm and a granular surface finish that can't be easily sanded, and vero (white/black acrylic) has a minimum thickness of 1mm and while the surface is better than sintered nylon, it is nowhere near what you would expect from, say, injection moulded plastics.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:47 am

dal-t wrote:Interesting advice (?) "Use ordinary model kit paints" - laquer, enamel, or acrylic? "

Acrylic. Enamels are not readily available other countries.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:31 am

Bill made a PM request to spill beans so here is my assessment:
Notes re PLA 2-4-0 Manning Wardle from Shapeways

The white nylon "Strong & Flexible" "version has a gritty finish, but in the areas that would most show as poor, i.e. boiler and cab top, cab sides, there is little detail so gentle abrasion and/or filling may be possible.
The cab roof edges are thick so need thinning or replacement with brass.
There are no rivets and the moulded lamp irons will have to go. Sprung buffers and detail such as wire handrails would lift it too. Chassis is a joke for P4 modellers, but is useful for material tests and as a template; the guard irons demonstrate "strong and flexible" well.

I will give the chassis a coat of acrylic primer to assess finish and gauge how much work is required to get a bit of gloss. However my use is as a beaten up loco so it will be heavily weathered to help hide defects.

With modest work, for £21 ( I got free postage weekend) I reckon its worth it to make a basic model of a pretty little loco. I can scratch build a CSB chassis and Mashima 1025 with High Level RR Compact+ looks to fit with a tickle to the boiler underside, but max ratio is 54:1. Gibson does suitable wheels.

I will be using it to trial methods of handling this material but due to imminent house move nothing will start for some months.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:15 am

From experience, I have found this nylon does not sand well. I suggest that you use a filler paint (Halford's yellow primer will be cheapest) and sand the paint until the white nylon shows, then repeat until smooth.

As for glueing, the nylon is porous so using superglues will work.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:42 pm

billbedford wrote:From experience, I have found this nylon does not sand well. I suggest that you use a filler paint (Halford's yellow primer will be cheapest) and sand the paint until the white nylon shows, then repeat until smooth....

That's exactly what I have been doing, works pretty good after about 3 attempts/goings over but as you know the resolution isn't the most crisp.

Guy Rixon wrote:For the chassis, I'd be more concerned about how much it flexes, given that it's printed in Black, Strong and Fickle plastic.

There were some photos of loco bodies from this designer on RMWeb, IIRC. The quality of the print looked a bit ho-hum, presumably because of the low res of the WSF and lack of polishing. They fall into the awkward zone where printing in FUD is too expensive and the affordable materials don't perform as well as one would like. Which is a pity as I'd rather like some of the Met and MDR locos.

Slightly off topic but what you said is bang on and what is REALLY aggravating me on Shapeways. Their FUD price is a joke, and that is before you try to add a profit on top. Emphasis on try. :?

There seems to be no middle ground either. :evil:
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:28 pm

The metro tanks are interesting.
I think 3D printing might allow for oddball prototypes to be modelled.

I do like my brass shim though!!!

Return to “Where to Find?”