Etched headstocks

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
Guy Rixon

Etched headstocks

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:53 am

Recently, I saw on Ebay some Exactoscale etchings that fold up to make channel headstocks with buffer and coupling-hook apertures pre-cut. Since I may soon need to scratch-build some stock on steel underframes, these would be handy: they would be quicker and possibly better than what I could make from raw materials.

These items are from the Weller & Cross era and are not in the C&L catalogue. Would anybody else use them if they were reintroduced? Are there equivalent products in another range?

Cheers,
Guy

Russ Elliott

Re: Etched headstocks

Postby Russ Elliott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't think they were that popular when they were available, and these days, integrated metal chassis solutions with solebars etc tend to be the norm. Plastic wallers will do their own thing as usual.

williambarter

Postby williambarter » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:18 am

Guy, what is it exactly that you are building? I may have some parts from test or superseded etches that would do.

William

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 am

Guy,

Bernard sold a solid steel L shaped jig with pre drilled holes for guiding the drill bit for making the buffers & coupling hook holes on the Headstock.

There was a fold down etch to fit over sleepers for the drilling of rivet holes.

Regards Steve.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:49 pm

William: I'll nned to build some SECR wagons from the Wainwright period, some GWR types, and some GCR. Nothing I can't deal with from raw materials, but an etched solution saves time. Also coaches, including Metropolitan, where no kits exist.

Steve: thanks for the reminder about about the buffer-hole jig. I actually have one somewhere, but I haven't seen it for years. I put it away when I went over to 2FS for a while and it hasn't resurfaced.

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:William: I'll nned to build some ..... coaches, including Metropolitan, where no kits exist.

There are some available - I've a few of these but have yet to complete a proper ("rigid") underframe.
http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/22/4mm-scale-metropolitan-railway/
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:52 am

The "rigid rebuilds" from Roxey are in period for me and I'll consider them, but what I really need are "bogie stock" (a.k.a. "Ashbury stock") hauled coaches and 1905 stock EMUs. I don't think anybody's done them yet and I expect to build from scratch (where some of the scratching is done on a die cutter).

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:51 am

Some of the MET bogie stock is available from London Road. They do the Chesham branch sets, so if you are modelling 1905 the first, at least is missing.

Return to “Where to Find?”