Bow pen

Information on sources for hard to find or unusual items.
David B

Bow pen

Postby David B » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I am after a bow pen and have been recommended a Haff 629. However, the place to buy it from (in Chislehurst) has gone and I cannot find anywhere else on the web.

Can anyone help, please, either with somewhere to get a Haff from or a good alternative pen?

David

BryanJohnson

Re: Bow pen

Postby BryanJohnson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 pm

There's a Kern bow pen on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KERN-PEN-SWIS ... 4605a8c22e

Bryan

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:49 pm

David,

you can get Haff direct http://www.haff.com/index_e.htm

Let me know if you are going to bid for the Kern on eBay. I was thinking of bidding, to accompany my other Kern.

Jol

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 am

Chris at Golden Arrow Models also sells bowpens - click here
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Whooof, ffffooew, fffeeeuu,
Sorry about the strange noises, just needed to blow the dust off this thread.

I decided a bout 4 days ago it's about time I got either a bow pen or a lining pen.

Now in my own estimation I can line to an acceptable (to me) level free hand with brushes but the problem is I can rarely do it in one hit and so I end up going over the same area/boiler band/splasher lining several times until I'm happy.

With good paint it isn't an issue much but either way the layers build up a wee bit more than they need to and it takes longer than it could.

I use a lot of HMRS pressfix lining transfers, but for years I've been using them as waterslide decals instead. Results are good this way, maybe it is against design but it's always worked for me and after varnish layers they are locked. Anyway I'm digressing from my point.

Point is the straights are easy, the curves are sometimes.

If I buy a modern cheating impliment would you suggest a lining pen or bow pen? If so which and which companies.

Are there pro's and con's to the different methods etc?

I have Right Track 3 DVD (Obtained the whole collection actually) and in it Ian Rathbone uses a bow pen and says the cheaper ones need honing and filing to shape. No idea if that is worth it or not. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Knuckles wrote:Whooof, ffffooew, fffeeeuu,
Sorry about the strange noises, just needed to blow the dust off this thread.

I decided a bout 4 days ago it's about time I got either a bow pen or a lining pen.

In a nutshell, I'm a big enthusiast of the Bob Moore lining pen.

I bought a refurbished vintage model bow pen. That was to avoid the issues that you allude to on new/cheap pens being poorer quality and needing fettling. Mine came from Golden Arrow. The label in with it says "Basic German pen. Surprisingly fine @ 0.1mm. Ideal beginner."

And as a beginner it cost me twenty quid. I have to sat that even with practice, I didn't gel with it.

So I bought a Bob Moore pen, with the "fine" head, and have had great success with it. But you must follow the instructions! They really do work...

So I keep the bow pen in case i identify a need for it, but I doubt that I will...
HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Oh, and it didn't say anything in the packet with my pen, but a quick google produced this, with lots of useful information:

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/tools.htm
www.5522models.co.uk

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks Flymo, that helps. :)

I've been reading on RMweb how some are having great success with Bob Moore's pen and others are having a job with clogging and whatnot. I read the same for Bow pens though so from my outside perspective it seems a wee mine field.

£100 for a pen is currently a lot to ask of me but later maybe not. I saw also there is a competitor that others are having success with called an Easi Liner for about half the price and it includes all the different heads but oit of these 3 options I'm on the fence.

In my mini research session I stumbled upon lining brushes, somethijg that should have been obvious but I didn't know they existed. I usually just go for a nice thin tip and crack on but these are thinner and longer, typically around an inch.

I might give these a whirl first and see how I get on. Mental simulations are making sense as a lateral movement should move more towards the base before the tip follows later giving a more accurate 'rudder' effect, plus I imagine corners may be easier to negotiate. We'll see I guess!

If it all goes to the thinners pot I'll look at the 3 options again. I'm still interested in knowing your collective though. It always helps. :)
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Knuckles wrote:I've been reading on RMweb how some are having great success with Bob Moore's pen and others are having a job with clogging and whatnot. I read the same for Bow pens though so from my outside perspective it seems a wee mine field.

My experience is that the Bob Moore pen clogs when used with ink that has a large size of particles. It does not like metallic lining ink, for instance. However, it is cleared quite easily.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:59 am

I was wandering around the Small Suppliers Village at the Warley Show last weekend and spotted something that I'd seen before but forgotten about.

This was the "Easy-liner" liner pen. Superficially it looks very much like the Bob Moore pen, but much cheaper.

The retailer, MyLocoSound, doesn't have them on a website although they can be found on a FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/EasiLinerPens

I didn't have the time to stop and inspect them closely. However the appealing thing about them is that the basic pen costs only £20 for one with a single head. There is the choice of 0.25mm, 0.5mm or 0.75mm heads, as well as an assortment of spares.

For Knuckles' purposes, and maybe for others, this may well be worth a punt.

HTH
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:05 am

Paul,

I bought an Easy-liner some time ago. It works well, but does not produce such fine lines as I can achieve with my bow pens. I haver a Kern, an Ecobra and recently purchased a Haff but haven't tried it yet.

Likewise I don't think it can create such fine lines as the Bob Moore tubular lining pen although I have never used one of those, being put of by the price and the mixed reviews I have read.

If you can get over to a NEEAG meeting, we could have try out with my collection.

Jol

David B

Postby David B » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:19 am

Easi-liner pens used to be sold by Peter Spoerer. He has sold them on to Chris Arundell. His contact details: 01603 928623 or email mail@chrisarundell.com

I have an Easi Liner which works well enough though I can't get really fine lines. I am going to try out a Haff pen which I bought directly from Haff. I paid about €40 last year with the postage.

Return to “Where to Find?”