Cornish Riviera Area Group

Moderator: steve howe

steve howe

Re: Cornish Riviera Area Group

Postby steve howe » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:00 pm

Brilliant! thanks Mike, I like the glazed canopy too...... pity we haven't got room for a tram!

Steve

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:01 pm

Work continues on Watermouth's little street scene. The key building in the street is a magnificent Bank constructed by Club colleague Stephen Grant based in Barclays Bank (originally Bolitho's Bank) in Truro. Comprising scratchbuilding in plastic sheet with Stephen's own 3D printed elements, it makes an impressive statement to travellers arriving from the station opposite.
1.JPG

The Bank needed to form part of a corner block between two streets, so a small but formal complimentary building was needed. So the frustrated Architect in me set out to create a typical late 18th century town house, based on some of the lovely examples to be found in Truro.
2.JPG

The base material is 0.5mm watercolour card, the ashlar blocks were drawn using a 0.3 hard pencil, the propelling kind so as to keep consistent line weight. Many buildings of this period were in fact brick or even lath and plaster construction with an outer coating of stucco plaster scribed and painted to represent sandstone. Rather than replicate stone, I opted for a similar finish here, assuming the original owner may not have been quite as wealthy as appearances might suggest!
I decided to use Tamiya paints for this project as time was pressing and I needed a quick result. Tamiya Buff seemed about the right shade. The card was first soaked with Tamiya thinners, followed by a wash of thinned Buff.
3.JPG

When dry, a further wash of Buff gave a good base colour. Window frames were cut from thin card painted Tamiya Deep Green. The raised quoins on the corners were marked up and cut from 0.7mm card.
4.JPG

The quoins were cut out and painted (the glossy finish was because the paint was still wet!) A deep V groove was cut into the reverse side and the strip bent up between two steel straight edges.
5.JPG

The windows are etches, the upper sashes from our own design by Stephen, the arched windows came from the scrapbox and (I think) are by Ambis Engineering) They were sprayed white primer which is slightly 'off-white' and semi matt giving a softer appearance. White lead paint was expensive even in the 1920's so generally only better class buildings used it.
6.jpg

Jumping ahead a bit, Number One English Street assembled with some architectural detail added. The thin card structure was braced with thicker card backing and internal walls making for a stronger model. More work to be done on colouring and detailing the 'stonework' and generally tidying up, but its beginning to look like the 'Gentleman's Residence' it was intended!
7.jpg

The pavement being tried in place. Iron railings will surround the basement light wells. This was known in Georgian architecture as 'The Area' - probably because no one knew what else to call it! Window sills and some ornamental frippery on the pediment still to add. The Bank will occupy the other corner site to the right.
8.jpg

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:38 pm

steve howe wrote:Work continues on Watermouth's little street scene. The key building in the street is a magnificent Bank constructed by Club colleague Stephen Grant based in Barclays Bank (originally Bolitho's Bank) in Truro. Comprising scratchbuilding in plastic sheet with Stephen's own 3D printed elements, it makes an impressive statement to travellers arriving from the station opposite.

All wonderful stuff Steve.

You made me smile at the mention of Bolitho's Bank. In the late 90's, I got to know well a chap called Geoff Bolitho. I remember one day that he was telling me that the family banking business had gone bust, and he had to move up to London to pursue a career.

At the time that I knew him, he was doing very well as a FTSE Options marketmaker on the LIFFE floor, but like so much else that is all gone now...

Best,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:11 pm

Interesting Paul,

The Bolithos are an old Cornish family who had fingers in many pies - mining and banking being but two - Edward Bolitho OBE is currently our Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall.

Totally back on topic...

The GWR's stables have been taking shape...
1.jpg

Marking out using South Eastern Finecast Flemish bond sheet. The little 6" steel rule and the Exacto steel square (sadly no longer available) I've had for years and are the most useful tools in my armoury, I wouldn't be without either!

2.jpg

The stables were based on Abingdon, mainly because there is an excellent drawing and photo in 'Great Western Architecture' (OPC Vaughan)! The shell was assembled and given a base coat of Tamiya Buff.

3.jpg

Jumping ahead, the shell assembled. The windows posed a problem with their vertical vents, Stephen Grant drew up the artwork to my measurements and saved the day. The brickwork was coloured using basic poster paints (see my earlier post on the Co-Op) the original building had radiused corners to about 8' high which I tried to reproduce, 3mm square plastic rod was cemented into the corners and the radius made using emery board. The mortar lines were reinstated with a fine razor saw. It looks a bit messy in the photograph, but I think final weathering will tone things down. The little recess on the right was for a water tap - any ideas on how to replicate a GWR brass tap?!

Mike Paterson

Postby Mike Paterson » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:29 pm

Take the tap from the ratio cattle pen.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:59 pm

Number One English Street almost complete, just lead flashing to the roof and rainwater goods to add, plus a bit of gentle weathering.

20231215_215210.jpg

20231223_133118.jpg

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm

The foul weather over Christmas and New Year meant time to complete No. 1 English St.
9.jpg

A little gentle weathering and some architectural ornamentation
10.jpg

No. 1 Installed along with the local Bank
11.jpg

12.jpg

Happy New Year One and All!

Steve

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:43 pm

steve howe wrote: time to complete No. 1 English St.

That is really very nice Steve. I particularly like the slight uneveness of the roof and the way in which two of the front steps have dropped at one end. Not all buildings stay level and square as they get older. :)

Terry Bendall

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:11 pm

Both buildings are very nice Steve, well considered and executed. Thanks for showing how you built them, a most enjoyable read.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Mike Paterson

Postby Mike Paterson » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:55 pm

A few more pictures of Steve's work in situ so you can get the impression of the overall station and its environs.
20240105_210552.jpg

Firstly the station building with Bolitho's Bank and the new building
20240105_210658.jpg

Next is a view across the station towards the stable block.
20240105_210730.jpg

Finally is a view behind the station towards the hotel with the bank and 1 English Street at the back.

Nothing is fixed down yet.

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 am

Excellent work. Suspension of disbelief (in mock-up!) very easy in those last few photos, and the subtle level changes and believability of the street scene working really well.

Cheers,

Andrew

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:28 pm

A little more progress with the shops along English St. with the addition of the three storied building at the end.

1.jpg

The usual 0.5mm textured card formed the basic elevation

2.jpg

In a departure from normal practice, I sprayed the outer carcass with matt enamel. Bay window and shopfront placed temporarily to check dimensions. The bay window was an etch whose origin I forget, but could have been from Geoff Taylor's range. The shopfront is a 3D print by Model Railway Scenes.

4.jpg

Jumping ahead, the carcass assembled and ready for roofing. A little more tidying up around the bay window required.

5.jpg

Just some rainwater goods, chimney pots, appropriate enamel signs to add and an interior to the shop window and that's another one done!

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
steve howe wrote: time to complete No. 1 English St.

That is really very nice Steve. I particularly like the slight uneveness of the roof and the way in which two of the front steps have dropped at one end. Not all buildings stay level and square as they get older. :)

Terry Bendall

Thanks Terry, Roye England once told me I had a knack of making things look 'old', seems to be working on me quite well :D

Steve

Return to “Cornish Riviera Area Group”