CHEAG - the Inaugural Meeting

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

Paul Willis
Forum Team

CHEAG - the Inaugural Meeting

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:34 pm

It seems like a long time ago now, but I wanted to put a few words down to show that the Scalefour Society has a new, active and enthusiastic Area Group. Formed in the Cambridge, Herts and Essex area, and centred on Saffron Walden, the group is almost as old as the Coalition Government, and may well last a while longer.

In response to an initial letter sent out by the good offices of Danny Cockling, our Area Groups co-ordinator, a total of eleven members of the Society said that they were interested, and on a fine evening in mid-May there were eleven of us gathered around a table enjoying good conversation. There were, starting with our host, but in no particualr order:

- Peter Tyler (provider of biscuits)
- Brian Page
- Alan Edgar
- James Strachan
- Adrian Brady
- Ian Greenfield
- Martin Wilkinson
- Graham Rayner
- Phil Taylor
- Geraint Hughes
- Paul Willis (humble scribe and messenger)

It was pleasing to see a fair number of the former Cambridge Area Group present, good proof to that they were still alive and modelling. Each member present gave a short description of what they modelled, and what they hoped from an Area Group. As an aside, it was amazing to find that for an "18.83" group, there were actually four different gauges being modelled by people present, in at least as many prototype countries!

A quick survey of interests and preferences for future meetings was taken, and the general (and majority) consensus was that we would meet every two to three weeks, on a Wednesday night, if at all possible.

There was no particular interest at this stage in building a Group layout, but everyone had different projects on the go that they could progress.

It's understood that even without other work and family commitments, a "country" area group where the membership is broadly spread will only rarely get all members attending regularly due to the travel involved. But we hope to set up a cycle of regular meetings and discussions of interest.

So in a spirit of openness, I'd encourage anyone who is, or wants to be, a member of this Area Group to post their thoughts, comments or ideas on the CHEAG section of the S4Forum. The Group will be what you want to make it, and from some very promising roots I'd like to see it go much further.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Jim Summers

Re: CHEAG - the Inaugural Meeting

Postby Jim Summers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:45 pm

All sounds good.

But how should those of us who weren't there pronounce CHEAG?

All best wishes,
Jim

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 am

Caleyman wrote:All sounds good.

But how should those of us who weren't there pronounce CHEAG?

I suspect, in your case, with a soft Scotch accent... When I was released from my hotel in Corstophine this morning, the night doorman sounded very much like our esteemed Chairman.

However, I suspect that the correct answer would be in a similar manner to cheese, the stuff made of milk and rennet, although I suspect that CHEAG is more likely composed of pies and ale :-)

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I suspect, in your case, with a soft Scotch accent...

Please sir...... Scotch is whisky or porridge; our esteemed chairman is Scottish through and through, and while I'm sure he would enjoy a drop of the cratur, I don't believe this would ever be reflected in his accent!

May I add my best wishes for the future of your group!

Allan

Return to “CHEAG”