CHEAG January and February meetings

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

bobwallison

CHEAG January and February meetings

Postby bobwallison » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:06 pm

In January we were joined by Dave Barham (of Fen End Pit fame) who presented the beginnings of his station buildings and interlocked lever frame for his new layout, Clare. The lever frame has featured elsewhere in this forum and it was very nice to get our hands on it – all very tactile. Dave has used servos to lock the levers: as he explained, it is easier to alter the locking by changing the software than by deleting and adding physical locking bars.
DSC_0372.JPG

Phil bought along some rather nice North Eastern vans and Adrian bought along a High Level Kit saddle tank, unpainted but otherwise in full working order. He was muttering about taking it apart in the search for smoother running, although judging by its performance on the test track ( a metre of C&L track resting on the table – why over-complicate things?) most of us felt there was little, if any, room for improvement.
DSC_0371.JPG
DSC_0368.JPG

In February, Dave returned with the Clare station buildings, now almost complete and very imposing and solid. It’s all done with CAD and lasers, don’t you know. He also bought a waterline model of a Thames barge in 4mm scale that he had 3D printed at home, which prompted a discussion about ways and means of using this technology. I, for one, did not appreciate that a freshly printed strand of plastic can support itself over a distance of 20 to 30mm without sagging.
Phil showed photos of the baseboards for his layout, Bawnboy Road which are of 6mm ply, laser cut to form a solid top with a pleasing curve to the edge, Barry Norman style. He has been experimenting with flat bottom rail soldered to PCB sleepers: the Irish narrow gauge which he models didn’t have much time for bullhead rail and heavy chairs, or any chairs at all come to that, so fixing the rail directly to the sleepers looks like the way to go.

Our March meeting is imminent – this Thursday, the 12th at the Coach and Horses in Newport, Essex at about 8pm. All are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Re: CHEAG January and February meetings

Postby DougN » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 am

I do like the set up for the signal levers. I have been thinking about something similar to the box for my Mark 1 frame - it will also house the other electrical gubbins. This is inspiring as it is definitely some thing I want to do! :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Return to “CHEAG”