A SPOT-ONish Trophy is awarded...

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

Paul Willis
Forum Team

A SPOT-ONish Trophy is awarded...

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm

On Thursday of last week was the Cambridge, Herts & Essex Area Group January meeting. And very importantly it saw the concusion of the CHEAG Test Track Challenge...

It was a few months ago that the test track of Richard Dunning, and my own, first made an appearance at a group meeting. After that, it was decided that every self-respecting CHEAG home should have a test track of its own, and the CHEAG Test Track Challenge was launched. A couple of Saturday workshop sessions were held, under the guidance of Martin Wilkinson, and the test tracks were soon ready for judging.

First of all, as the start of this phot-essay of the night, and picture of our compere, judge, and modelling the CHEAG SPOT-ONish Trophy, I give you Richard Dunning...

IMG_6739.JPG

There were four completed test tracks produced at the meeting. Phil Hunt had sent his apologies, and a photo of his completed test track for his future 12mm gauge layout. And Colin McCallum was there in person, although he didn't bring along his Ikea-style flat pack test track board.

As the instigator of the Challenge, Martin led the way with his test track:

IMG_6745.JPG

This was built using copperclad sleepering set at typical test track/fiddle yard spacing. This is one of the two locomotives used to test the 18.83 boards during the evening, kindly brought along by Peter Tyler:

IMG_6747.JPG

The other locomotive used was a Sentinel shunter from Richard:

IMG_6752.JPG

Second up to show off his work was Roger Cutting. Here he is demonstrating the "free rolling" test of an unpowered wagon rolling down the track:

IMG_6753.JPG

Also visible is the rather natty control panel on the side of the board. Roger's was also the only track that featured a turnout, which was very effectively driven by a Tortoise motor.

Roger also provided his own locomotive for test purposes, as <whisper it quietly> he's a member of the Area Group that models in EM...

IMG_6755.JPG

Portability was also aided with a cut-out handle:

IMG_6761.JPG

Next up was Keith Walsh with his test track. One line was laid out fiddle yard style, and one line using prototypically spaced sleepers:

IMG_6762.JPG

The whole evening was very greatly enjoyed by Peter Tyler, who was the inspiration and founder behind CHEAG as a group:

IMG_6765.JPG

Keith also demonstrated the lightweight but extremely rigid bracing on which his test track was built:

IMG_6766.JPG

Finally came John McAleely, who has already shown his test track on this Forum a couple of times already.

IMG_6770.JPG

The meeting was attended by eleven CHEAG members, and here are just some of them watching intently, with suitably ribald comments on occasion. From left to right: Carlos Vasco, Martin Wilkinson, Ian Greenfield, Peter Tyler, Colin McCallum, and Keith Walsh:

IMG_6772.JPG

And finally, when all the scoresheets were added up (for points awarded for different factors, including quality of running, innovation, etc) and the banter had subsided, it was time for the winner to be announced, and the trophy awarded.

So... I give you the winner of the inaugural CHEAG Scalefour SPOT-ONish Trophy Challenge - Roger Cutting!

IMG_6778.JPG

Until next time...
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: A SPOT-ONish Trophy is awarded...

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 am

Sound like a good time was had by all, which is what railway modelling is all about and more importantly, those who were able to build something have taken the first steps in doing something practical.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: A SPOT-ONish Trophy is awarded...

Postby John McAleely » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Can I just say that I think this was one of the most successful things our area group has attempted, and I thoroughly enjoyed participating, and seeing the results of others.

Thank you to everyone who made this happen, and well done Roger on a well deserved win!

Return to “CHEAG”