CHEAG meetings for the rest of 2012

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

Paul Willis
Forum Team

CHEAG meetings for the rest of 2012

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 am

This is the programme of Cambridge, Herts and Essex Area Group meetings for the remainder of 2012.

Coach and Horses Pub Meets:

For the remainder of the year we decided to continue meeting on the second Thursday of each month resulting in the following dates:-
    Thursday 11th October,
    Thursday 8th November
    Thursday 13th December ( possible Christmas Meal date?)

Saturday Workshops (venue to be confirmed):

We decided to run two workshops, the first to be held on Saturday 27th October and the second on a yet to be agreed weekend on or before the 15th December.

Whilst these events will in essence continue with the previous format of attendees progressing their own projects we decided, for anyone interested, to ring the changes by introducing the option of a group mini project - in this case aimed at encouraging members to build their own portable test track - to be up and running by the end of the year.

The impeccable logic behind this subject choice is that, irrespective of the manner in which group members source their rolling stock, no CHEAG household should be without its own test track. If necessary, a Templot plan can be supplied is happy to supply the "templot" requirement, commencing with the reverse curve, and the gauge should not be an issue - Irish, Spanish, South African or narrow gauge not a problem. Which is handy, as we have CHEAG members active in all of these gauges!

CHEAG already posesses two proven examples of the genre within the Group, Richard Dunning's extremely portable and demanding "basic " model which comprises 1x Straight plus 1x reverse curve, whilst my "extended" version additionally sports a couple of punishing turn outs.

Should anyone in the general area of CHEAG be interested in attending any of these meetings, please do get in touch, either through here or the contact details on the Blue Sheet.

Cheers
Paul Willis
CHEAG Area Group (dis-)Organiser
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Chris Mitton

Re: CHEAG meetings for the rest of 2012

Postby Chris Mitton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
The impeccable logic behind this subject choice is that, irrespective of the manner in which group members source their rolling stock, no CHEAG household should be without its own test track. If necessary, a Templot plan can be supplied is happy to supply the "templot" requirement, commencing with the reverse curve, and the gauge should not be an issue - Irish, Spanish, South African or narrow gauge not a problem. Which is handy, as we have CHEAG members active in all of these gauges!

CHEAG already posesses two proven examples of the genre within the Group, Richard Dunning's extremely portable and demanding "basic " model which comprises 1x Straight plus 1x reverse curve, whilst my "extended" version additionally sports a couple of punishing turn outs.

Cheers
Paul Willis

Hi Paul

The biggest disruption to a train's smooth progress isn't curves, it's the abrupt change of direction at the switch-blade tips where the turnout road is "set" - so for me a test track should include at least one turnout, or at least the trajectory of one. If I understand correctly, Network Rail requires anything to go through a B6 turnout, so that's essentially what my test plank is, including a foot or so of approach track and a similar length of reverse curve on the branch. If it's any use to anyone I enclose a Templot printout, plus a version for anyone with access to a roll printer that avoids sticking pages (probably slightly mis-aligned) together. [This forum won't for some reason let me post the Templot .BOX file but if anyone who likes messing around with these things sends a PM....] I knocked mine up in a couple of evenings on a spare piece of MDF, leaving out the straight road (which doesn't really test anything) and the switch blades but including the V-crossing and checkrail (which should find out wrong B-to-Bs). It doesn't test everything though - I managed to build it flat for once!

Regards
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:13 am

This forum won't for some reason let me post the Templot .BOX file

That's because the forum developers have never heard of a .box extension.......;)
I've now added the .box extension to the forum so you should now be able to upload Templot files depending on file size.
Rob

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:The biggest disruption to a train's smooth progress isn't curves, it's the abrupt change of direction at the switch-blade tips where the turnout road is "set" - so for me a test track should include at least one turnout, or at least the trajectory of one.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the thoughts. There is already one CHEAG member that has contacted me for a track plan, and he has asked for a turnout to be included :-)

I'll make sure that anyone else that asks is offered the option.

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 am

Flymo748 wrote:This is the programme of Cambridge, Herts and Essex Area Group meetings for the remainder of 2012.

Saturday Workshops (venue to be confirmed):

We decided to run two workshops, the first to be held on Saturday 27th October and the second on a yet to be agreed weekend on or before the 15th December.

Whilst these events will in essence continue with the previous format of attendees progressing their own projects we decided, for anyone interested, to ring the changes by introducing the option of a group mini project - in this case aimed at encouraging members to build their own portable test track - to be up and running by the end of the year.

Just a quick reminder that the first CHEAG workshop of the autumn season is taking place this Saturday, just outside Cambridge.

If anyone would like to attend, please email me for details.

Cheers
Paul Willis
CHEAG (Dis)-Organiser
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “CHEAG”