Scalefour East-ish, aka CHEAG open day in Newport, Essex

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

John McAleely
Web Team

Scalefour East-ish, aka CHEAG open day in Newport, Essex

Postby John McAleely » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Folks, I have been deputised to post further details of CHEAG's first ever open day.

If you've read your copy of Scalefour News, you will have seen the advert (p31!) for 'Scalefour East-ish' (Can you tell the publicity officer is in our area group?), which will be held on June 16th at the Church House in Newport, Essex.

We are delighted to be joined by the lovely folk from the Norfolk & Suffolk Area Group, and their layout Coldfair Green, and we hope to welcome a few more society members from the area to see what we have been up to.

You may have seen evidence on the forum of our previous outing for Pampisford, built by members of an earlier (now defunct) area group based in Cambridge. Some are of course members of the current group, and we hope to welcome other contributors on the day.

Bringing our confirmed collection of layouts to three, Brian Page will be exhibiting Oxenbridge.

We will open at 10.30am, and remain open until 4pm. No fixed charge will be made, but we will welcome donations to defray our costs for the day.

I will post a map, parking details, and so forth a little nearer the time. We look forward to welcoming you to the location we have been using over the winter season to conduct monthly modelling workshops. I certainly intend to be showing some of my work in progress.

All members are welcome, and if you do plan to come, please drop our organiser an email (details in Scalefour News 177 (PDF)), or message me on this forum.

And finally: the sharp eyed will have noticed we are running a competition to complete the sentence in our Scalefour News advert: "Society members are also..."

chrisf

Re: Scalefour East-ish, aka CHEAG open day in Newport, Essex

Postby chrisf » Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 am

"Society members are also" .... reluctant to commit themselves?

I should like to attend. It's only an hour across country for me.

Chris

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat May 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Google says 167 miles, so it's a bit of a stretch from down here....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 am

Sounds like it will be an enjoyable day. I hope to come but it will depend on what else is happening nearer the time. These sort of mini forums are always a good way of meeting other members of the Society and give to opportunity to chat to those who are bringing their work along and find out how things are done. Well worth coming to if you can.

Terry Bendall

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun May 13, 2012 7:08 pm

"Society members are also..." curious to know more about Brian Page's Oxenbridge, perhaps?

Still under development, our open day will be its second ever public outing. Set in the 1955-63 period, and based on Oxenhope, you'll find steam and green diesels operating on a track plan which has been modified to suit the space available. The station and good shed are models of the original however!

Perhaps many of you will know that Oxenhope was on the Keighley and Worth Valley line, so Oxenbridge is set in a very different part of the country to Pampisford and Coldfair Green.

As well as welcoming members from far afield, we also want to make sure that those members who are in the area are aware of what the group has been up to, so that they might feel inspired to join us.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Society members are also...

Waiting in anticipation for travel details? Our open day is next weekend, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who comes along!

Attached is a map and directions. Contact me directly if you have any technical problems with opening/printing the document.

CHEAG-June-16-2012-directions.pdf

Refreshments look like they will be informally arranged on the day. We wish to be good hosts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 pm

This is tomorrow folks! Hope to see some of you there.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

This is within range for me and I would have come if it wasn't a clash with a MERG meeting. Hopefully next time.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Best of luck for tomorrow from the S4 Area Group in another Newport - NAGNAG.
Rod

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:30 am

I'd like to record my thanks for a very nice afternoon. Trains, coffee and good company. Well worth the drive from Surrey.

Philip

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you! I had a very enjoyable day, and it sounds like we had expressions of interest about joining CHEAG from several people.

As a taster, here's the only photo I managed to take. Richard, Ian, Martin and Colin are all trying to debug Pampisford.

IMG_0049.jpg

Society members are also... Welcome to suggest a caption?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Guys on left "If you two would like to finish your kip under the layout, us "workers" will start to get the layout ready...."
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Guy on his back beating his chest in rage
" who wired this lot then $%^£** "

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:29 am

Belated thanks to the members of CHEAG for running this event. Three fine layouts, interesting conversations and food for thought!

Chris

Return to “CHEAG”