CHEAG January Workshop

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

Paul Willis
Forum Team

CHEAG January Workshop

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am

Last Saturday saw eight members of CHEAG gathered in Newport Church Hall for an excellent day of modelling, with a superb pub lunch in the middle of it. It was also pleasing to see that Peter Tyler, who was the spur for the creation of the Area Group, dropped by at lunchtime and was able to spend the rest of the afternoon chatting with us.

The Church Hall gives us plenty of room to work in, and there is lots of heads-down concentrated modelling going on.

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 011.jpg

John McAleely has already shown his rejuvenated etched brass wagon built from a Bill Bedford kit. This is him getting on with yet more soldering of fiddly bits.

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 013.jpg

We have an eclectic range of interests within the group. James Strachan had bought along one of his reference books to help with his project.

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 014.jpg

He had also brought a recent RTR acquisition to show it to us bfore conversion to P4. It was apparently a typical South African branch line locomotive - I forget exactly, but something like a 4-8-2 tender engine!

Carlos Vasco recently joined the group after his move from Spain to Cambridge. You may remember that he wrote an article in the Scalefour News in 2005 or so, describing his plans for modelling Iberian Railways to P4 standards.

He had brought along a superb scratchbuilt flat wagon, produced from the original Spanish works diagrams. He was also working on an etched brass locomotive kit - a Hudswell Clarke I recall - of a type that was exported to Spain and used on the railways there.

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 015.jpg

Richard Dunning was showing his customary prowess in locomotive building, as usual working hard on something Somerset and Dorset shaped. Clearly the right "bit" was lurking somewhere at the bottom of the box...

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 016.jpg

The lesser spotted Colin McCallum was also caught in action working on some Ratio coach kits. He is a little bit of the Group's photographic vampire, never appearing to feature in photographs. He was caught in an unguarded moment here, with his garlic-averse status only revealed by the glowing red eyes...

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 018.jpg

My demo board was also there, and I made good progress on wiring the underneath. That was one of the great advantages of having a large space to work in - I could swing the board over and over to reach it without being confined to a small workbench area.

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 019.jpg

Ian Greenfield wasn't doing anything railway related, but was working on some exquisite models of houses. He's currently hand-tiling a medieval roof, and in his own words "at least with something that old, the lines don't have to be absolutely straight"! One of the buildings is also a model of his own house, which must give a particular satisfaction to see when it is finished and placed on the layout.

CHEAG Workshop Jan 12 021.jpg

And that is it for the moment... This was the last one of our current series of Workshops. However plans are already for the next one to take place on Saturday 18 February. And of course all are welcome at our regular meetings, on the first Thursday of each month at the Coach and Horses in Newport.

Cheers
Paul Willis
CHEAG (Dis-)Organiser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: CHEAG January Workshop

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:21 am

Interesting, looks like you had a good session.
Is James Strachan modelling to P4 in 14mm gauge then?
refer: http://www.norgrove.me.uk/U20C-project/u20c.html
And where did he find an RTR steamer in 4mm scale? I have only come across H0 kits.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: CHEAG January Workshop

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:Interesting, looks like you had a good session.
Is James Strachan modelling to P4 in 14mm gauge then?
refer: http://www.norgrove.me.uk/U20C-project/u20c.html
And where did he find an RTR steamer in 4mm scale? I have only come across H0 kits.

Hi Keith,

On the Area Group notes of interests, James notes "South African Railways 1960-80. Uses adjusted P4 standards". I have never actually asked him if the models are actually 4mm or 3.5mm. I'll try and remember to do so when I next see him.

I can say that the locomotive proved elusive to my camera. This was the best that I got, cropped from a larger picture:

SAR.jpg

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “CHEAG”