January 2011 call to CHEAG...

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

Paul Willis
Forum Team

January 2011 call to CHEAG...

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:47 am

Well, the snow has gone, and it's that time again to avoid the festive decoration undressing on Twelfth Night and come and chat about model railways again!

The first meeting held at the Coach and Horses at Newport was extremely pleasant. I'm pleased to say that we'll be there again.

http://www.coachandhorsesonline.com/

As previously noted, being just down from Saffron Walden this is closer to the spiritual centre of the group. It will make travelling easier for those more northerly members of the Group.

For those not familiar with the Coach and Horses, it is an attractive pub located at the north end of the village on the main Cambridge Road (B1383, formerly the A11), directly adjacent to the mainline rail overbridge. It has a large car park and is a 10 minute (max) walk from Newport station; Audley End station is a 20-25 min walk beyond the pub. Real ale, beer, soft drinks, coffee, meals and bar snacks will be available on the night.

I hope to see some of you there from 8pm and I'll try and remember to bring along my Y14, so we can chat about matters of gearboxes ;-)

Cheers
Paul Willis
CHEAG (dis-)Organiser
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: January 2011 call to CHEAG...

Postby John McAleely » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm afraid I won't make it, but I have been doing a small amount of modelling since the last meeting:

http://mcaleely.com/jh/workbench/

See you all in Feb!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: January 2011 call to CHEAG...

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Well, when Richard Dunning and I arrived at the Coach & Horses promptly at 8pm, we were pleased to find that there was already a goodly number gathered in the back room that was reserved for us. However a real surprise was to see Peter Tyler at the bar, as he had previously sent his apologies for non-attendance. The pleasure was even greater when he insisted that we should not pass until he had bought us a drink :-)

Through to the back of the pub (with a decent pint of Wherry in hand) and there were some familiar faces. Ian Greenfield was also deep in conversation with a new face as well. Phil Hunt, a former member of the Cambridge Area Group, had heard that there was Society activity happening just a few miles down the road from him and had come along to say hi. He is no longer a Society member, and now models American HO, but like many Society Area Groups, CHEAG welcomes finescale modellers in all their interests and I'm sure that we may even tempt him to rejoin one day...

James Strachan was seated at a table with an assortment of pictures from his favoured South African Railways, and I believe had also brought along an exquisite semaphore signal model. I confess my ignorance, as I didn't have chance to ask about it all night.

At some point Martin Wilkinson turned up, and was his usual jovial self. We've turned out to be a group that is not at all sombre about P4 modelling!

In the middle of the evening, Peter produced from a toolbox the C&L point that he had been working on recently. It's his first piece of P4 trackwork that he has built, and he was singing the praises of Brian Lewis of C&L who had been providing Peter with excellent telephone support at times when this was needed. Peter was keen for comments and suggestions on his work, but generally there was very little suggestion needed as it all seems to be progressing well.

Although for this kit the stock rails were already laid, there was a long discussion on making joggles to accommodate the blades. Unfortunately Peter didn't have any spare rail with him to experiment on, as there were many around the table keen to instruct him in a practical way on just how easy it really is. One for a future meeting perhaps?

I'd brought along my Y14, of Blog infamy, and that was passed around for comment. There was discussion of the chassis difficulties that I'd experienced in "fitting it all in" and I emphasised that these were of my own making in not planning properly, and nothing at all to do with the excellent quality of the High Level components, or the general concepts of CSBs for suspension.

Eventually, the assembled agreed that enough was enough and we departed, with an intent to do it all again, same place same time, on the first Thursday in February. Hopefully we'll once again see some of you there.

Cheers
Paul Willis
CHEAG (dis-)Organiser
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “CHEAG”