Is a meeting planned?

Serving the Cambridge, Herts and Essex borders

Moderator: Paul Cram

John McAleely
Web Team

Is a meeting planned?

Postby John McAleely » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:23 am

A recent change of job means I think CHEAG would be a convenient area group for me to join, particularly if the plan of meeting on Wednesdays has taken hold.

Is there a meeting planned in the future?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Is a meeting planned?

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm

John McAleely wrote:A recent change of job means I think CHEAG would be a convenient area group for me to join, particularly if the plan of meeting on Wednesdays has taken hold.

Is there a meeting planned in the future?

Hi John,

Have you been looking over my shoulder, or something? After a couple of months hiatus, it was only yesterday that I emailed this to the members that had previously attended:

"You've probably been wondering what happened to the idea of having an Area Group of the Scalefour Society in the Cambridge, Herts and Essex region.

Well, the idea didn't die, but was simply disrupted a little bit. After our initial couple of meetings, I went full-tilt into the process of buying a new home, which we moved into at the end of August. Together with a major merger taking place at work, finding time to organise meetings of an area group simply dropped off my radar.

That said, now that these things are out of the way, life is much easier. The problem that I found initially was that the group didn't have a natural rhythm, as we had neither a venue that would be available from meeting to meeting, nor a regular schedule. I was unable to host meetings myself as I didn't have a house large enough.

All that has now changed :-)

It's not quite palatial, but there is room at my new home (and with my wife's agreement) to hold a regular monthly meeting. I haven't moved far - I'm now on the south edge of Sawbridgeworth, rather than the eastern side.

For those who would like to come along, I'll send you the details directly. It's also twelve minutes (I know, as I do this most days) walk from Harlow Mill railway station, on the Cambridge main line. My phone number has also changed and is 01279 431 280.

Now, in terms of setting a date, as few of you know that I spend some of the working week out of the country, which makes hosting meetings a touch tricky. However, I'm fairly regularly around on Thursdays, so I intend to say that the FIRST THURSDAY of every month, from 8pm or thereabouts, is a fixed point.

That doesn't mean that we can't hold meetings elsewhere (and enormous thanks to Phil Taylor for hosting the second meeting back in June, and showing us his excellent loft layout) or at other times, but having a fixed point has many benefits.

That makes the next planned meeting on Thursday 4 November. Please RSVP if you would like to come along.

It would be good to catch up with what folk have been doing in the intervening time - I've finally got some track down onto a baseboard, and it might even be wired up by the time of the meeting. If you've been reading my "Beer and Buckjumpers" blog then you'll know what else I've been doing! "

So please to get in touch if this would be of interest to you.
Cheers
Paul Willis
CHEAG (dis-) Organiser
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Sounds like excellent luck for me! 4th Nov is in the diary, and I've RSVP'd by email :-)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:35 am

John McAleely wrote:Sounds like excellent luck for me! 4th Nov is in the diary, and I've RSVP'd by email :-)

Hi John,

You should also have an email from me as well by now. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
P.
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 pm

I just thought I'd note here that I enjoyed the meeting - thank you for hosting Paul, and thank you to the rest of the crowd for making me feel welcome.

I'm looking forward to coming along next month. Perhaps with finescale cookery ;-)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 pm

John McAleely wrote:I just thought I'd note here that I enjoyed the meeting - thank you for hosting Paul, and thank you to the rest of the crowd for making me feel welcome.

I'm looking forward to coming along next month. Perhaps with finescale cookery ;-)

Hi John,

'Twas very good to meet you too and also Richard, the other new attendee. I will write some brief notes up soon for the CHEAG members that were unable to make it to the meeting. I'm afraid that with manning the Society Stand at the East London Finescale Show (heartily recommended for some very good modelling, including Bodmin and Portchullin, the latter with additional Highland Railway content) and the start of this week here in Amsterdam, I'm behind with catching up...

The meeting in December will be same time, same place, and I've already had an idea or two for topics to discuss.

I'm bemused by the reference to cookery, which is obscure even for me, and can only be a reference to the fact that I forgot to get any choccy biccies in for the meeting. I promise to do better next time!

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Flymo748 wrote:I'm bemused by the reference to cookery, which is obscure even for me, and can only be a reference to the fact that I forgot to get any choccy biccies in for the meeting. I promise to do better next time!

Somehow I missed this comment before we all met again for December... You obviously missed Martin's cheeky request for Mince Pies to be brought if I didn't bring along some models to the December meeting.

As for finescale, well perhaps I was thinking along the lines of 'getting it all right'... I enjoy putting some effort into cookery :-)

Return to “CHEAG”