Progress with Slattocks Junction

News from the Manchester Area Group (Linked to the Manchester Model Railway Society
iak

Re: Progress with Slattocks Junction

Postby iak » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Very nice :thumb
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Keith

I take it that this is on the Rochdale Canal

Yes it is. The inspiration came from this view which shows the bridge carrying the railway over the canal. In the background can be seen the bottom gates of one of the Slattocks locks

DSCF3111.JPG

Regards

Tony

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Well it has been quite some time since we last posted here and there was a little comment on the Alpha Mill thread about us giving an update so here are a couple of photos I took last night showing the houses I am currently working on in their position.

20190205_192817.jpg

The building in the top corner on the bridge will be the station building - there is a station off scene here. There is a factory on the right which has yet to be finalised. The building between the 2 terraced houses is an old school which has been converted into a small industrial unit and is the next building to be put into the laser cutter once I have drawn it up.

20190205_192741.jpg

Ralph

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Just rounding off the discussion about the canal bridge which has now been finished off with additional copings and painted. It even has the correct circular newels at the end of the wing walls, which will be a lot more visible on the model than they are on the weed infested prototype. Below is a shot of the bridge with Slattocks Top Lock lock gates seen through the arch. (Sorry you can't see the end of the wing walls - they'll look better when they are not hanging in mid air with nothing supporting them!!
DSC09922A.jpg
The canal bridge with an express speeding past heading towards Manchester

We've had a couple of excellent running sessions recently. More pics to follow but I'll put these in a separate post.

Tony
Last edited by Tony W on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 pm

The picture below also appears on Ralphs thread on Alpha Mill. This shows the Mill and Engine House in their correct location on the layout and gives a better idea of their scale on the layout. The photo was taken at last Saturdays running session to celebrate the Manchester Society's 94th birthday.....and before we get any wise cracks, Slattocks Junction was NOT one of the first layouts to be started by the MMRS!! :D

DSC09923A.jpg

Tony
Last edited by Tony W on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Yesterday, 21/3/19, the Manchester Group played host to a visit by the Fylde and Nottingham Area Groups. This meeting really started out as an invite to a few people to see Alpha Mill on Slattocks Junction but was quickly extended (for further information on this please see Ralph's thread on Alpha Mill in 'Scenery and Structures - Other Buildings and Scenery'.

A great day was had by all and I'd really like to thank those people who brought stock to run on Slattocks - its always great to see other models running on the layout and it gives us a better idea of how much we have to build to achieve authentic looking trains!!

DSC09931A.jpg
DSC09932A.jpg
DSC09936A.jpg
DSC09937A.jpg

Moving swiftly on from the rogues gallery - a few pictures of stock

DSC09933A.jpg
DSC09935A.jpg
DSC09938A.jpg
You dont often see two Caprotti Black 5's side by side!!
DSC09945A.jpg
A proper Newton Heath engine pulling the Newcastle - Liverpool express

The videos will follow in a separate post

Tony

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Tony, thanks for a great day yesterday, next time I will bring more stock and locomotives. Ralfs Alpha mill is a real work of art and immediately sets the location as Manchester. I know the layout has taken a long time, but the result is excellent and the track work is excellent.
It was good to see so many familiar faces and to talk matters P4.

David Clarke (NAG)

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Three clips from yesterdays event as promised

As always, apologies for the quality. I might even start using a proper video camera as the layout progresses!!
That's all for now.

Tony

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Looks great Tony. Love the Jubilee on the express.

Ralph

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Really enjoyed the visit and the chance to run some locos. Thanks to all involved.
The mill looks even better in real life than in Ralph's photos and is a marvelous and evocative backdrop helping set the scene firmly in the Greater Manchester area.
Wonderful day out and a great layout in the making.
Dave.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 pm

The quality is pretty good, Tony, no need to worry. The ‘solid’ feel of trains upon track is quite marked compared to some videos of main line trains on 00 layouts which I have seen recently.

Philip

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 pm

As one of the visitors who was able to test wagons and coaches on Slattocks, I was very grateful for the opportunity. I was able to identify a few minor issues to resolve which my test track at home wouldn't show.
The hospitality was excellent; everyone was free to get on with whatever they wanted: view layouts, read in the library, run trains, drink tea or just natter.
Bryan

Return to “Manchester AG”