Dry Print Lettering

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
steve howe

Dry Print Lettering

Postby steve howe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:34 pm

I have recently been given a large box of various rub-down lettering, some of which would be very useful, however its been around a while and has lost its 'detachability'.

Can anyone suggest any tricks for rejuvinating this type of lettering? it seems the main problem is loss of tack to the actual letters themeselves, they detach from the film alright, but won't stick to the surface.

Cheers now
Steve

charles davidson

Re: Dry Print Lettering

Postby charles davidson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Steve

I always used to use Carr's Transfix with Woodhead transfers and others, effectively treating them like waterslide transfers and have had success using this method for old sheets. It doesn't work every time but may be worth a go (usual disclaimer)

Charles Davidson

Noel

Re: Dry Print Lettering

Postby Noel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 am

Several years ago I asked the producer of Woodhead transfers about this problem - he said that dilute methylated spirit [roughly 50/50 wth water] would reactivate the glue on his transfers. I have recently used this method on some of his transfers, using a rather stronger mixture, and used the same solution to soak off the backing, effectively treating them very like methfix transfers. Removing the backing may lead to the transfers moving, but they can be carefully moved back to where you want them. Once dry they seem to be well enough fixed, but I offer no guarantees about their long term stability.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Tools and Techniques”