Ultrasonic cleaners

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Michael Waldron

Ultrasonic cleaners

Postby Michael Waldron » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:20 pm

I have heard of people purchasing so-called “Ultrasonic Cleaners’, that they have said have turned out to be merely ‘vibration tanks’.

Apparently there are ‘cheapo’s’ that aren’t truly ultrasonic!

Can anyone technically ‘in the know’ explain the difference, please?

Mike

DougN

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners

Postby DougN » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:15 am

I'm with you Michael, I had one given to me... it was just a vibrating box with what ever liquid you put in it.... totally useless. The person who had it I doubt ever used it... as it did nothing! Lets just say I didnt need more junk in the house and it found its way into the bin!

Locally there is expensive versions In excess of 80quid (169AUD) which look more the business. the one I checked out was 1.8litres and 80W power which looks like it might actually do some thing rather than the little box above which I think had a 30mm long motor and a weight off centre!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:56 am

Doug

I somehow didn’t think I’d be the only person who’s questioning his purchase!
EBay is sometimes excellent in what you can get, but often there are either ignorant or knowingly unscrupulous traders who just chuck words about their adverts.
A classic is carbide tooling. You will often see HSS (high speed steel) and carbide in the same poorly worded description. It can’t be both! Far East persons are first in the accusation queue.

I think these vibration tanks are similar.

Despite that, I have to confess mine does clean up etched brass quite well … but I expect it’s probably down to the cleaning fluid more than any high frequency vibration!

Mike

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:59 am

Michael Waldron wrote:Doug
Despite that, I have to confess mine does clean up etched brass quite well … but I expect it’s probably down to the cleaning fluid more than any high frequency vibration!

Try plain water and see if it is any different ....

I have a cheap device, bought from Eileen's at a show. I've never tried to measure to see if it is "ultrasonic" or merely "vibrating tank". Other than a few jobs which need a specific agent, I just use water from a tap.

- Nigel

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:22 am

About 10 years ago I bought an ULTRA 8050-H cleaner - now discontinued for about £80. This has a heater and timer and a carrier tray.
All I can offer is that this does a great job on my wife's jewellery.

The only caveat is to be sure that a 60' carriage will fit if you go for a less expensive one. I suspect this would rule out most of the cheaper ones on line. If the seller can tell you it has a high frequency transducer then that is not a vibrating tank.

I guess the price today would be around £120.

John

Extract
Is ultrasonic cleaner just vibration?
Ultrasonic cleaners work by using an electronic device called a transducer. The transducer produces sound waves at very high frequencies. These vibrations create pressure waves in a solution that make small voids. These are the bubbles that collapse and cause the cavitation action
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

BorderCounties

Postby BorderCounties » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:46 pm

If you want to see the specs of a “proper” ultrasonic cleaner, have a look at laboratory equipment suppliers. Make sure you are sitting down before you look at the prices.

You do get what you pay for though.

Phil Eames

Postby Phil Eames » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:00 am

Mike,

I brought an ultrasonic cleaner off ebay a few years ago for £65. Please see attached the image showing the spec on the rear, notice the frequency is 40Khz.

IMG_20230628_133918603s.jpg

That is what I would advise you to look for.

With the rate of my modelling it doesn't get used that often, but it does a good job when it does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Phil

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:56 pm

Thanks Gents.

Mike

Return to “Tools and Techniques”