Advice on Chassis jigs

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Terry

Advice on Chassis jigs

Postby Terry » Tue May 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the P4 locomotive modelling and this forum, although have built many scale models before. I have a few locomotiove kits now and have started a 9F which I am enjoying. I am about to tackle the chassis and need advice on where I might find any ready made jigs for general chassis building. Even advice on an easy way to make my own?

Thanks

Terry

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Advice on Chassis jigs

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue May 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Also the Avonside jig, see http://www.avonsideworks.com/
Rod

Terry

Postby Terry » Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Keith, Rod,

Two very different but extremely helpful approaches to consider! I will get studying and thinking. I guess I could have picked an easier first model, but I like a challenge :o

I'll post some pictures of the construction so far, just cab and boiler area at present, but am pleased with that.

Thanks!

Terry

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Hello, Terry, welcome on board.

On the question of chassis jigs, I managed for some years with a simple wooden jig consisting of some conti-board with two strips of planed strip fastened to the surface at right angles to each other. However, I have since bought the Avonside jig and found it most useful and easy to use on my latest chassis assembly. I haven't tried any others, but I'm sure there are suitable devices out there - the key requirements being to maintain the frame assembly square and have the same wheel-base for the axles and coupling rods!
If you don't mind me saying so, a 9F seems a bit ambitious for a first venture into P4 chassis construction and has some added complications - 5 driving axles to align and quarter, flangeless centre drivers, narrower than normal frame spacing, quite hard to hide the motor/drive train (despite the massive proportions of these locos). You don't mention the basis for your model, but be aware that the Comet chassis has the wrong wheel-base (to accommodate 'OO' wheel flanges). The Dave Bradwell chassis is the business, but rather complex.
Are you going for compensation or springing?
Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your plans for the 9F?

Good luck, anyway,

David.

Terry

Postby Terry » Wed May 05, 2010 8:01 am

Hello David,

Thanks for your input on the jigs. The Avonside jig does look very good and maybe what I need.

Yes, I do realise a 9F is a bit ambitious, but I just love them! I'm already contemplating a second. The model I have is the DJH version, and when I bought it some years back, I also bought the Alan Gibson milled frames and some scale wheels. As for your question re sprung or compensated chassis, it may not make a difference given my end aim for this one at least. To be ruthlessly honest, my interest is much more in building very precise scale replicas, and probably less so engines that are acually powered and run! Maybe that is a sin to admit on a forum like this, but discovering the P4 community was something of great interest due to the true scale results and precision needed. I dont have the time and space to build and run any sort of layout, although I will at least build some track to display the engines on. It may develop further, I honestly don't know. Perhaps if I met up with a local group, I would be inspired to build a running engine on a club layout.

So although for this first attempt I will strive for as much precision as possible, the complexity of the 9F is dilluted somewhat by my own needs perhaps? I have also seen the Dave Bradwell chassis and I am very tempted. When I enquired about it he replied stating "that should keep you busy for a while"! For the moment I have some references and good photos, but I would love to see some drawings of the chassis itself.

So this 9F is destined to be as near a replica as I can achieve in this scale. The finish I plan is a very late service and heavily worn and weathered machine. I've practiced such techniques in my earlier modelling days, just never on a locomotive!

There are a few other engines in the growing store now and when I get a bit further on the 9F I may start a second. I have been very inspired by the books by Tim Rice, Guy Williams and Tim Shakleton and the bug has bitten very hard!

Terry

Terry

Postby Terry » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 am

Re the above ............. of course I meant Ian Rice!

I was having one of those moments ..............

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 pm

I invested in an Avonside chassis jig last year. Using that together with a GW Models Wheel Press & Quartering Jig, not to mention a High Level gearbox, I managed to produce for the first time a loco that ran sweetly from the start without the need of any tweaking whatever. Highly recommended.

DT

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:11 am

DaveyTee wrote:I invested in an Avonside chassis jig last year. Using that together with a GW Models Wheel Press & Quartering Jig, not to mention a High Level gearbox, I managed to produce for the first time a loco that ran sweetly from the start without the need of any tweaking whatever. Highly recommended.

DT

Another vote for the Avonside Chassis2 jig...

I took my recently purchased one out yesterday to correct the broken chassis shown here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=855&p=5186&hilit=missenden#p5186

I didn't have the jig when I originally built it, but it was immensely useful in making sure that I put it back together correctly. I set the jig for the existing spacing of the hornblocks, and then was able to solder the spacers back together knowing that it was square and parallel.

Not cheap, I know, but definitely recommended as a lifetime investment. I'll definitely be using it to make up all future chassis that I build.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Tools and Techniques”