How real do your photo's look?

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: How real do your photo's look?

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:07 pm

20076 awaits it's next turn of duty next to the works office:

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm quite pleased with this one as well taken from 'outside' the layout in the hole that leads to the left hand fiddle yard:

John

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 am

I had a bit of a monochrome moment last night. Here's a few of the results.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

I'll revisit this one when the bridge is in

Cheers

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

duncan hutson

Postby duncan hutson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Here's my first photos on the Scalefour forum

SRDuncan 1.JPG

SRDuncan2.JPG

Duncan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Hope they're not the last. Will we see more of this railway?

Philip

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Philip Hall wrote:Hope they're not the last. Will we see more of this railway?

Philip

Agreed!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Great stuff

Is this your layout Duncan? Might you start a thread on it if we ask nicely?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

duncan hutson

Postby duncan hutson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Philip Hall wrote:Hope they're not the last. Will we see more of this railway?

Philip

Many thanks Philip for the comments. Here are a couple more photos as requested.
When I started construction on this layout I decided to try the C&L handmade track system with the ply sleepers and individual chairs fitted to steel rails. All points and crossings are handmade which gives great flexibility in design. It was rather a lot of work but I personally feel that the results are worth the effort.

SRDuncan7.JPG

SRDuncan8.JPG

SRDuncan9.JPG

Duncan

duncan hutson

Postby duncan hutson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 pm

jim s-w wrote:Great stuff

Jim

Hi Jim, yes it is my layout but it is EM not P4! : ;)

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 am

duncan hutson wrote:

Jim

As far as l'm concerned pictures of lovely work like yours Duncan is good to see here.
John

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:51 am

duncan hutson wrote:

Jim

So? You're a member of the society aren't you? We have a guy who also posts EM stuff just set to a wider gauge! :D
Jim Smith-Wright

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am

Duncan, one of the things which, to me, always stands out on a layout is verticals that aren't. I have seen leaning phone boxes in real life, so that doesn't bother me, but the signal box does. I can't decide whether it is leaning, or it's just a result of distortion by the camera. Looking that closely at it also made me notice that it is nameless and there seems to be no exit for the point rodding and signal wires...

The other thing I noticed was the lack of protection for the third rail. In SR to BR green days the third rail would have been boarded in anywhere where staff were or might be at rail level. This would include carriage sidings, lines with a walking route alongside [both still true so far as I know], and platform areas [now less common because staff do not now normally work at rail level there]. It is also true that the third rail was, and is, on the side away from the platform, where possible. Passengers are all too likely to drop things on the track which then have to be retrieved, including themselves on occasion...

Sorry if I seem to be a little critical; it is intended to be constructive. I agree with the others about the standard of your modelling and had not realised from the photos that it was EM....
Regards
Noel

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:30 pm

duncan hutson wrote:Hi Jim, yes it is my layout but it is EM not P4! : ;)

I don't care (and frankly nor will anyone else); there is lots of great modelling here and that is all I care about!
Mark Tatlow

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Noel wrote:Duncan, one of the things which, to me, always stands out on a layout is verticals that aren't. I have seen leaning phone boxes in real life, so that doesn't bother me, but the signal box does. I can't decide whether it is leaning, or it's just a result of distortion by the camera. Looking that closely at it also made me notice that it is nameless and there seems to be no exit for the point rodding and signal wires...

It looks like the very acceptable Hornby Skaledale limited edition Horsted Keynes model, so it will be in cast resin. I once had one for a planned fictitious layout that is no longer happening. I'm sure Duncan (lovely layout by the way) will have future plans for more detailing - it all takes time!
Rod

duncan hutson

Postby duncan hutson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:
Noel wrote:Duncan, one of the things which, to me, always stands out on a layout is verticals that aren't. I have seen leaning phone boxes in real life, so that doesn't bother me, but the signal box does. I can't decide whether it is leaning, or it's just a result of distortion by the camera. Looking that closely at it also made me notice that it is nameless and there seems to be no exit for the point rodding and signal wires...

It looks like the very acceptable Hornby Skaledale limited edition Horsted Keynes model, so it will be in cast resin. I once had one for a planned fictitious layout that is no longer happening. I'm sure Duncan (lovely layout by the way) will have future plans for more detailing - it all takes time!

Thanks for all your good comments. :D

Hi Rod, yes you are spot on it is a "Hornby Skaledale limited edition" and there is a lot more work to do.

Hi Noel, I hope to fit point rodding and signal wires later.

Duncan

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 pm

duncan hutson wrote:Hi Noel, I hope to fit point rodding and signal wires later.

My comment was specifically about the apparent lack of access, nothing else. I was not aware of the source of the structure. I did assume that the layout was a work in progress from the appearance of the distant station area in one shot.
Regards
Noel

duncan hutson

Postby duncan hutson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi all,trying to get the Narrow boat around the bend with the Southern Belle heading home. ;)

SRDuncan4.JPG

SRDuncan5.JPG

D Hutson1.JPG

D Hutson2.JPG

Duncan
Last edited by duncan hutson on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Duncan,

This is great work. Love the lock bridge!

Keep the photos coming.

Chris

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:29 am

duncan hutson wrote:Hi all,trying to get the barge around the bend

Narrow boat, please. Barges are the wide flat things that hang around in major rivers and a few 'wide' canals in northern England. The horse is rather amusing, since the model is clearly intended to represent a steamer, although something seems to have happened to the funnel. Perhaps it's broken down? In reality, by the late 1940s both horse boats and steamers would have been pretty unusual, especially in the non-industrial areas south of the Thames, as economics had forced the adoption of semi-diesel and then diesel power from the early 1920s onwards. The abstraction of traffic by the railways, and later the roads, meant that most southern canals were already closed, or suffering from a serious lack of maintenance due to lack of money. The right angled bend is also curious, since the canal would have been there first, and its builders would have tried to avoid such sharp bends. The railway, when it arrived, would just have had to build a longer bridge; they couldn't have diverted the canal without Parliamentary powers which they wouldn't have got, at least in their early days.
Regards
Noel

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 pm

This thread seems to have gone a bit dormant. Plenty of time since the last post so let’s get it going again.

C47C83DB-C0B1-4A5F-89BE-5020EF92ED4B.jpeg
Jim Smith-Wright

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Here's my two pennyworth.

Taken on my old 'Netherhope Halt' diorama. Please ignore the errant long fibres!
Photo ctsy Andy York/BRM
NH6b.jpg

Photo ctsy Andy York/BRM
Netherhope 4.jpg
John

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Nice! :thumb
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Return to “Tools and Techniques”