Soldering stations - a reccomendation please

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Guy Rixon

Re: Soldering stations - a reccomendation please

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:23 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
Guy Rixon wrote:It melts the solder nicely from the reel, but as soon as I touch it to the model the solder freezes and the iron will not melt it again. It's as if the effective power is much lower than the nominal 50W and the tip is going cold. Is this an expected effect

Shouldn't be with a normal sort of soldering job and a 50W iron. But it does depend on the size of heatsink you are trying to solder, what is it?

I'm trying to solder an axleguard assembly to the floor of a coach. It's a reasonable area of 0.010" brass, but nothing crazy-large. The deceased unit, with a 6mm bit, would have done this easily.

I should have a 6mm bit for the Antex in a few hours and will try again.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:16 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:
Guy Rixon wrote:It melts the solder nicely from the reel, but as soon as I touch it to the model the solder freezes and the iron will not melt it again. It's as if the effective power is much lower than the nominal 50W and the tip is going cold. Is this an expected effect

Shouldn't be with a normal sort of soldering job and a 50W iron. But it does depend on the size of heatsink you are trying to solder, what is it?

I'm trying to solder an axleguard assembly to the floor of a coach. It's a reasonable area of 0.010" brass, but nothing crazy-large. The deceased unit, with a 6mm bit, would have done this easily.

Daft, I know, but is the bit pushed properly on to the heater element/prong thingy?

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:43 pm

Daddyman wrote:
Guy Rixon wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:

Daft, I know, but is the bit pushed properly on to the heater element/prong thingy?

Not daft at all. I did check that with the small bit. There was the tinest movement when I rammed it home, and it made no difference to the heating.

With the 6mm chisel bit in place it does now work quite well. I assume that the temperature sensor is just too far from the tip for it to maintain temperature with a smaller bit.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:45 pm

I do everything on my Antex 660A with a 2.3mm bit. I have a 4.7 but I never use it. So the 2.3 should certainly work....

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:48 am

I sometimes use home turned copper bits on my 660TC and as they would be slightly longer (to allow for occasional filing down) I checked with Antex, and they told me that if the bit was a bit longer than their supplied ones that wouldn’t make any difference. The sensor would adjust for it.

Philip

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:08 am

Guy,

I have had an Antex 50W TCU for many years and generally use a 2.3mm bit although I go up to a 3.0mm if getting freezing such as you describe. That increases the effective bit cross section area by about 70% (if my maths is correct) so increasing heat transfer.

If the iron works okay with the 2.3mm bit on relatively small items, e.g. soldering up a w-iron then it is probably ok. If not I suspect it isn't working properly. I have found that the elements can lose their "power" over time (years) but replacing it will always fix the problem.

Jol

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:42 pm

Not a soldering station but the box from my trusty Model D. Found it today (box. I know where the iron is).
Look at the price, though that was the equivalent of an Airfix or Mainline loco. A hefty investment for a teenager. I built a number of whitemetal wagons, Maygib Midland tender, 4F chassis, class 14 diesel, 76000 4MT chassis, West Country chassis, M7 chassis, coach bogies, a Southern Region Push-Pull driving coach, a couple of brass wagons, all the electrics for three layours and lots of other things I've forgotten.
If it was easier to change the temperature I'd still have it as my prime soldering iron.

IMG20231122232325.jpg

IMG20231122232330.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Postby 45609 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:53 pm

I had an Antex 690D (50W) digital soldering station but it became unreliable w.r.t. temperature. It is now my backup iron.

Antex 690D

I switched to an Atten ST-100 (100W) and haven't looked back. More power, heats up quicker, has 3 instead of 2 presets, easier to change bits with a big selection available, and is a fair bit cheaper than the Antex 690D.

Atten ST-100

No contest really.

I agree that the CSI product, for the price, looks decent too. A bit less power but otherwise....

Cheers...Morgan

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:43 pm

Following a recommendation in the 2mm magazine, I got hold of a T12 soldering station, via Ebay.

I used an old laptop power supply to run it.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Tools and Techniques”