Scale Length Conversions

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: Scale Length Conversions

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks Andrew, plan now is to roll it out to the other pages.

In case anyone wonders, I appreciate, at the moment that the pages are http rather than https and I am aware that some browsers will report it as 'non secure' I will, at some point, implement https but, as the pages gather no personal data, it isn't a priority.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:33 am

Users of Templot have another useful calculator available at utils > metric/scale calculator menu item:

The scale is set from the current track template setting.

It's 20 years since I wrote the code, and I haven't looked at it since, but as far as I know it still works fine.

It doesn't convert from chains though, which is a blindingly obvious omission now I think about it -- now on my to-do list. Image

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:03 am

Martin Wynne wrote:It doesn't convert from chains though, which is a blindingly obvious omission now I think about it -- now on my to-do list.

Chains to (4mm scale) millimetres - just multiply by 264, or, for a quick rough answer doable in ones head, add three zeros to the number of chains and divide by 4 (the result will be a little short but quite adequate for rough layout planning).

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:Users of Templot have another useful calculator available at utils > metric/scale calculator menu item:

Another Templot feature I didn't know about :mrgreen:

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:32 pm

In the previous versions, you could enter an actual distance to convert in either feet or inches. As a result, if you wanted to convert a length that was in feet and inches, you first had to convert it yourself to inches as a decimal. I've started an update that allows you enter the actual length in feet and inches and the first page that allows this is the Actual to Scale conversion page (other pages will follow where appropriate):

So, for example, if you wanted to convert the value for standard track gauge, you would have had to enter this as 56.5 inches whereas now, you can enter it as 4' 8 1/2" instead:

http://www.leyburnsolutions.com/scaleco ... oscale.php

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 am

Suffering from insomnia has allowed more progress, the program now offers the following:

1. Actual Length to Scale length with proper fractions (i.e. not decimals) for feet & inches and the ability to select a custom scale as well as those from the list.

2. Scale Length to Actual Length, features as per 1 above.

3. Convert length in one scale to another, features as per 1 above.

4. Convert curve radius in chains to scale radius, features as per 1 above.

5. Imperial to Metric.

6. Metric to Imperial.

7. Thou to MM and MM to Thou

http://www.leyburnsolutions.com/scaleco ... /scale.php

John

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi John,

I expect that this is very useful application, but on my tablet, the answer is hidden by a white band informing me that you created it and the version number. I have not yet tried it on the laptop.

Cheers

Phil.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Works ok on my win10 laptop.
John's byline appears at the bottom

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Very useful John, thank you. I’ve tried it in a desktop Mac and an iPad and it works fine on both.

Cheers,

David

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 pm

Phil O wrote:Hi John,

I expect that this is very useful application, but on my tablet, the answer is hidden by a white band informing me that you created it and the version number. I have not yet tried it on the laptop.

Cheers

Phil.

You should be able to scroll down for the results to show. I don't have to do that on my PC where I have a very high resolution monitor but I do have to scroll some of the pages when testing on my Mac Book.

John

Return to “Tools and Techniques”