Glazing - your thoughts please

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Daddyman

Re: Glazing - your thoughts please

Postby Daddyman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:17 pm

Thanks to both! Useful links if I decide to try glass Re6/6, thank you.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 am

Will L wrote:
David Thorpe wrote:I've tried a number of adhesives, but found Canopy Glue best. It looks just like PVA....

That's because it is just a fairly thick sort of PVA. Ordinary wood glues will do the same job.

They don't. I've just run an experiment, gluing some perspex to bare brass. I used a cheap PVA I bought at a model show, Evostik Wood Glue (probably the best PVA I normally use) and Formula 560 Canopy Glue. The cheap PVA was useless, the Evostik made a pretty decent stab at it but peeled off quite easily, while the Canopy Glue was clearly the most effective.

DT

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 am

David Thorpe wrote:
Will L wrote:
David Thorpe wrote:I've tried a number of adhesives, but found Canopy Glue best. It looks just like PVA....

That's because it is just a fairly thick sort of PVA. Ordinary wood glues will do the same job.

They don't. I've just run an experiment, gluing some perspex to bare brass. I used a cheap PVA I bought at a model show, Evostik Wood Glue (probably the best PVA I normally use) and Formula 560 Canopy Glue. The cheap PVA was useless, the Evostik made a pretty decent stab at it but peeled off quite easily, while the Canopy Glue was clearly the most effective.

DT

Very useful, David, thanks.

buckie5507

Postby buckie5507 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:25 pm

My preferred adhesive for fixing glazing is GS-Hypo cement

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/gs-supplie ... 66231-1000

Jonathan

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm

Staples transparency film, cut on white paper, picked up in tweezers. Inside window opening given a quick brush with Johnson's clear. Move the film into place, add more Clear with the brush - capilliary action will drag it into place. Do a side at a time and leave to dry before starting the other side. Easy.
If you've a corridor coach without doors dotted down it, even easier.

Stay safe

Mike

Return to “Tools and Techniques”