Hold and Fold Tools

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
bordercollie

Hold and Fold Tools

Postby bordercollie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:06 am

Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a "Hold and Fold" tool. I see there are models by "the small shop" and Avonside. I am only able to see photos of the two models. The "the small shop" looks slightly better quality. The Avonside is cheaper. Which type offers the best value? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Hold and Fold Tools

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:03 am

bordercollie wrote:Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a "Hold and Fold" tool. I see there are models by "the small shop" and Avonside. I am only able to see photos of the two models. The "the small shop" looks slightly better quality. The Avonside is cheaper. Which type offers the best value? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

What size are you thinking of? I'm sure the tools are very similar in quality, but what will make the difference to VFM will be the size.

I would suggest the small square ones are too impractical for anything other than steps, etc. The long 14" one comes into its own for coach sides. I have the 5.5" one (an original Small Shop one, FWIW) and it is large enough to be useful for bits of locomotives, wagon sides, etc. It's the best all-rounder as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and make sure you get a "folding blade" with whatever model you choose. This is essential for starting the fold cleanly.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:38 am

I use my small hold and fold quite regularly.
It is also a useful size to drop in my modelling tool box.
I also have a medium size version for building wagons.

Gordon

David B

Postby David B » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:08 am

I have a 5.5" one I use from time to time which I bought years ago from Finney and Smith. It is a very useful addition to my tool box. Just looked at the price today - OUCH!!

For longer folds such as coach sides, I use folding bars; for small folds, pliers, particularly the Maun, parallel, type.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:20 am

I bought the RP Toolz RP-13 a year or so ago and have found it useful for wagons and locos. I was pleased with the weight and build of the tool; it isn't a flimsy little thing.
As Flymo says, this size will do most things for 4mm modelling except coach sides.
Bryan

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:51 pm

I bought one from small shop some years ago and it both saves a lot of time and gives excellent results with etched kits. But I'm not sure I would be prepared to spend the money that is being asked for them now.

Tony

Tony

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:49 pm

I have found this https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/photo-etch-bending-tool-the-bug-rth-hold-and-fold-the-small-shop-sms002 to be a most useful addition to my modelling but it looks like it is not available at the moment - could try other places. It is exactly the right size for me to fold up my bogie sideframes but once you have one you will find it comes in for lots of things - I wouldn't want to be without mine.

Ralph

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Alongside the table-top models, there is a handy little option for those minor jobs

here

I just like the idea of using photo-etch to fold photo-etch ...
David L-T

jasp

Postby jasp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Many of these “hold and fold” type devices are available on ebay or via google search at significantly less cost than in u.k. Quality is similar.
Just search for “photo etch bending tool”
Jim P

dclift

Postby dclift » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:55 am

Fwiw I purchased the "Etch Buddy" from Micromark in the U.S, https://www.micromark.com/Etch-Buddy-Ph ... ng-Fixture Even with postage to Australia, it was significantly cheaper than the Hold and Fold. I use it quite often and have found it entirely satisfactory. In fact I have purchased several tools from Micromark and found their service to be very good, but check the postage before ordering.
David Clift.

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 pm

For anybody who is concerned that they need one of these before tackling etched kits and are worrying about how much they have to spend on yet another additional tools, I would point out that they weren't available when etched kits first started to appear and you can do a perfectly good job without one. I'm sure they may make doing some longer folds a bit easier, specially if you haven't done it before, but they are never more than nice to have. A pair of flat nosed pliers is all you need for short folds, and for long ones a flat surface, a steel rule and a craft knife will do the trick.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 am

Will L wrote: I would point out that they weren't available when etched kits first started to appear and you can do a perfectly good job without one.

Will is of course quite correct and you can do a lot without one of these tools. They do have their uses and some years ago I obtained the largest Hold and Fold tool available in exchange for having done a small job for a supplier. It does not get used very much mainly because I don't build many etched kits but I got the largest one on the basis that it will help with bending of small components but long folds cannot be done in a smaller version. I find that a pair of flat pliers or a vice just as quick and these and some other methods of bending will be covered in one of the articles in the current series in the News.

It seems to be that there is a tendency to think that we need every sort of gadget available in order to have success in our model making and that is not the case.

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:42 am

Terry Bendall wrote:It seems to be that there is a tendency to think that we need every sort of gadget available in order to have success in our model making and that is not the case.

Terry Bendall

It all depends on perceived need and relative depth of pocket dedicated to modelling.

personally I manage to date using a pair of 6" steel rulers, a couple of 9" aluminium angles for use in the vice, the said vice and a decent set of pliers .... so far it works for me :thumb .... we all have to make our choices ;)
Tim Lee

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:17 am

As I managed without one for about 30 years, then they certainly aren't a must-have item for the tool box.
I find the main benefit is for small items with a double fold, when it can give a solid grip for the second fold.
I also used it yesterday as a general purpose clamp for holding High Level loco horn blocks when folding the locking tab, which I find easier than holding them vertically in a vice. More Hold than Fold as intended.
Bryan

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 pm

It's not an essential tool by any means, but is a very useful "equaliser" tool, much like a resistance soldering unit. It does nothing that an experienced and skilled modeller can't knock out easily with a vice and a couple of straight edges, but for the less adept it means we can produce something decent in a short time and without a little pile of nearlies. Which you need if your aspirations significantly outstrip your aptitude.

Tony

bordercollie

Postby bordercollie » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:48 am

tmcsean wrote:It's not an essential tool by any means, but is a very useful "equaliser" tool, much like a resistance soldering unit. It does nothing that an experienced and skilled modeller can't knock out easily with a vice and a couple of straight edges, but for the less adept it means we can produce something decent in a short time and without a little pile of nearlies. Which you need if your aspirations significantly outstrip your aptitude.

Tony

I am very much of the less adept crowd. I feel that I need all the help I can get particularly in building etch kits that may be irreplaceable. If I understand it "the small shop" and "avonside" products are of similar quality and the choice is mainly on price. I think that I should consider the large version produced by Avonside when I get around to building coach kits. The small one from either manufacturer will do for a start.

Thanks to all who replied

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 am

The one from Hannants looks rather useful. They tend to have a wide range of items that might be of interest beyond aviation modelling, so the site is worth a browse.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Chas Levin

Postby Chas Levin » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 pm

I'd like to register another vote for The Small Shop's version. I'd certainly agree with others' opinions that it's not at all essential and I folded plenty of etches perfectly happily before I got it, but for combining convenience and accuracy with speed I think it takes some beating! (No connection with the company, just a happy customer).
I bought the long 8" one - none of the models is cheap so I thought it represented the best value as it allows for longer items and therefore gets used more often.
Amongst the operations it eases are the tops and bottoms of coach and wagon sides (the ninety degree sections that hold roofs and floors, I can't presently think of the right word for them) but also those small, fiddly, multi-sided fold-ups of things like tool-boxes, steps etc: the interestingly shaped thin projections long the aluminium face allow folds either side, while one plane is kept flat.
Great piece of kit! :D
Chas

Return to “Tools and Techniques”