Fine sanding

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
David Thorpe

Fine sanding

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:26 am

There are some areas in the loco kit I'm currently building where I've had to use a little bit of filler, and while I've smoothed it down as best I can I'd like to finish it off with a sufficiently fine abrasive that will maintain the contours of the model and (hopefully) ensure that once painted the filled bit will blend in with the rest. I've been quite impressed, on screen at least, with things like Flexi Sanders (https://www.axminster.co.uk/dual-grit-f ... sel=103878) although they come in packs of varying grades, some of which I suspect I won't use. However, they're not likely to break the bank. I wonder if anyone has any experience of these, or any alternative suggestions?

DT

John Bateson

Re: Fine sanding

Postby John Bateson » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 am

Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am

I use foam manicure polishing sticks from the local chemist. Many grades of abrasive, and they can be cut and shaped as required. They can also be bought singly, although I suspect that might be more expensive than in sets. I also have sanding sticks of coarser abrasive made from Mavala emery boards with a small square wooden strip on one side to keep them flat. Great for use on plastics as they are very hard wearing.

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am

I have a selection of Micro Mesh foam sticks which I get, individually rather than in sets, from modellingtools.co.uk. I have cut some in to smaller pieces for some jobs. I find these sticks invaluable and use them regularly, the coarser ones for removing material and the finer ones for polishing. They are also very good for cleaning parts, large and small, before soldering.

I sometimes cut pieces of fine wet and dry and stick them to pieces of shaped wood, shaped to suit the job.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks everyone. I've ordered a set of the Micro-Mesh sticks on ebay - modellingtools.uk was out of stock and stewmac's were going to have to come from Canada, with associated carriage costs. They seem to be just the job for what I need.

DT

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Why not glue wet and dry paper to Coffee shop wooden mixer sticks? They’re free, especially if you are recycling them after stirring your coffe!
You can choose the grade needed.

Then you can choose the shape by clipping the end with your Xurons to the shape you need.
Always trim the wet-and-dry with your scalpel on the inside (paper) side to avoid instant blunting of the blade!

Mike W

Return to “Tools and Techniques”