296 deg solder supplier?

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
essdee

296 deg solder supplier?

Postby essdee » Wed May 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Once again, memory fails...

Now where have I bought 296 deg solder, from one of our trade suppliers; not Eileen's or Hobby Holidays in seems ?

I certainly do not require the large reels from the likes of RS Components etc,

many thanks,

Steve

John Palmer

Re: 296 deg solder supplier?

Postby John Palmer » Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 am

Steve, Amberly Services may be able to fill the bill for you; details at http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/1445-AmberlyServices.

At shows he has attended I have bought a couple of small coils of solder from his range, expressly for the purpose of enlarging the spectrum of solder melting points available to me. The highest melting point I purchased from him was 217 degrees at a price of £3.00 for 3 metres, so although I can't guarantee he can supply the 296 degree solder you are seeking he may well be worth a call.

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi John,

Belated thanks for your tip ( no pun intended). However you will be delighted to hear that I obtained two 1m packs of 296 solder from GS Model Supplies of:

Ta-da!

Burnham on Sea!!

www.gssmodelengineers.com

How very appropriate for another S&D afficionado?

Regards,

Steve

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi Steve,

Never occurred to me to think of GSS as a possible supplier! Probably this was because I don't normally associate soft soldering with the live steam/model engineering fraternity.

It should be a boon to me to have a model engineering supplier right on my doorstep, but the truth is I'm still working through the stock of brass bar, etc I bought from A J Reeves in Birmingham way back in the 'seventies. Consequently there's not much business I can currently put GSS' way for my own benefit, but I do recommend people to take a look at their web pages, as there's much there of potential interest to the 4mm modeller.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue May 22, 2018 4:08 am

essdee wrote:Hi John,

Belated thanks for your tip ( no pun intended). However you will be delighted to hear that I obtained two 1m packs of 296 solder from GS Model Supplies of:

Ta-da!

Burnham on Sea!!

http://www.gssmodelengineers.com

How very appropriate for another S&D afficionado?

Regards,
I found 305 but not 296 degrees at GSS, is it the same?

Steve

Return to “Tools and Techniques”