The Adventures of an RSU Virgin

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
David B

Re: The Adventures of an RSU Virgin

Postby David B » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Might be easier to buy a new probe, lead and carbon rod from London Road Models.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:13 pm

The 'freelance' ex-Cambrian brake van is now virtually structurally complete and I did use the RSU in places - but even then one of the 'rivetted strapping' pieces wouldn't fully attach (half did, half didn't) even though it had been treated exactly the same as all the others. I ended up using the iron to fix it. Several items of detailing have been added in microstrip and Evergreen and the underframe is Evergreen strip.

All attached with Evostik in my 'usual way'.

I find it doesn't burn my fingertips................................ ;)

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Steve

I have just found my copy of the instructions for the Exactoscale RSU. These contain a wiring diagram as well as identifying which contacts provide which power outputs. Would you like me to send you a copy?

The carbon size is 4mm. I agree with Guy that the carbons are a loose fit in the brass insert and like the idea of fitting a grub screw. Also the brass insert is 9.5mm diam for the 10mm diam hole in the coax connector; winding foil round it should cure this or if you have a lathe perhaps better to make a new one.

One matter that I would like some guidance on from the experienced users of RSUs is the size of cable to use for the probe and earth connections. After reading David B's article I blew the dust off my Exactoscale unit and tried it out and found It rather weak. The wire that was fitted to it was 30x0.2 which I have replaced with 50x 0.25 ( rated at 30 amps ). This has made the performance much more satisfactory. However on reading the Exactoscale instructions They specify a cable with a total cross section of 12mm - This is surely not gong to be a very flexible wire.

Clive

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Clive,

I don't know the spec. but LRM use a more flexible wire which is partly down to the covering. I think it is some sort of silicon rather than PVC insulation. A cable with more, smaller diameter, wires is also more flexible for a given diameter.

Likewise the LRM probe uses a larger diameter carbon rod for better contact area in the holder and lower resistance.

Jol

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Clive Impey wrote:Steve

I have just found my copy of the instructions for the Exactoscale RSU. These contain a wiring diagram as well as identifying which contacts provide which power outputs. Would you like me to send you a copy?
Clive

That would be very kind, thank you Clive, I take your point about wire thickness, whilst the foot pedal is fitted with hefty cable (haven't measured it) the probe and earth looks to be twin core. Also the probe cable is soldered to the inside of the collet casing rather than the brass insert which might need attention.

Many thanks

Steve

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:02 pm

I replaced my leads on the LRM unit bought many years ago as they had gone rather stiff with some from this firm. I can't remember which one but l'm sure that the correct size can be found in their list. It is nice and flexible and works well.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/cable/s ... ables.html
John

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:23 pm

John,

those may have been the early pvc covered cables.

"Extraflex" silicon cables were originally offered as an option but have now have been standard supply for quite a few years.

Jol

David B

Postby David B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 pm

John Redrup gave me these codes for the cables from RS Components. Red wire 748 1976; black wire 748 1970. Technical details are on each page.

Clive Impey

Postby Clive Impey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Jol, John and David

Thank you for the very useful information on wire specifications. The wire I have at the moment is close to the RS PVC cable with the exception that the RS wire has 10x the strands. When I need more wire I will use the RS silicon spec.

Also, following Jol's comments on carbon diameter used with the LRM unit, I am going to modify my probe to take 5mm diam carbons. This wiil also mean that the fits of the carbon, brass insert and coax section can be tightened up.

Steve
I have sent you an email.

Clive

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Finally finished (bar painting) the ill-treated Cambrian Brake Van that I retrieved from the bin. It has metamorphosised into a freelance (apologies to the rivet counters :twisted: ) based very loosely on the ones operated by the Cannock area collieries amongst others. The wheelbase is only 7'6" (not a lot different to the Rhymney one I finished a little while ago) so, when painted in my corporate blue, it will fit nicely with my 'Enigma' fleet.

Ex-Cambrian Brake Van.A.1.jpg

Ex-Cambrian Brake Van.A.2.jpg

At least it hasn't gone totally to waste - but only the sides, ends and floor are original. I suppose that if it were a painting it would be described as 'mixed media'.

Edit - no idea why the photo has duplicated. I didn't tell it to! - SORTED! Thanks Keith!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Enigma on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:10 am

For something that's been through the crusher, that's looking really nice. There's a lot to be said for turning it into a mixed-medium model.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am

Edit - no idea why the photo has duplicated. I didn't tell it to!

Actually you did tell it to!
You uploaded two files, A1 and A2, but when you did the "place inline" you placed A1 twice and not A2, which is why A2 is showing as attachment.
I could fix it but I suggest you have a go at editing the post yourself.
Go into edit, remove the duplicate entry in the test, then go to the attachment tab and do the 'place inline' for A2.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Just the kind of thing I enjoy!

One minor suggestion though - how about a stovepipe on the roof?

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
Edit - no idea why the photo has duplicated. I didn't tell it to!

Actually you did tell it to!
You uploaded two files, A1 and A2, but when you did the "place inline" you placed A1 twice and not A2, which is why A2 is showing as attachment.
I could fix it but I suggest you have a go at editing the post yourself.
Go into edit, remove the duplicate entry in the test, then go to the attachment tab and do the 'place inline' for A2.
Regards

Oh Kieth, you are cruel.... ;) . I was going to make almost the same suggestion this morning about editing posts but thought a kind Admin or Mod would come along and do it for Paul, but then again I'm fully appreciative of the amount of work you Admins and Mods have to do.......
R

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Have to be cruel to be kind sometimes :)
Will happily do it if Paul asks, but thought this was an opportunity for a bit of learning.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Have to be cruel to be kind sometimes :)
Will happily do it if Paul asks, but thought this was an opportunity for a bit of learning.
Regards

Done it meself! I hadn't noticed in all the excitement of posting my new creation that I had used the same photo twice. :oops: All fine now.

BTW, there will be a stovepipe chimney. The roof isn't fixed yet so still time yet to fit it. ;)

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:18 pm

For the sake of completeness here are a couple of shots of the now painted 'Ex-Cambrian Brake Van'. I'm quite pleased how it's turned out in the end. The problem now may be having to explain it away at shows!

Ex-Cambrian Brake Van.A.3.JPG

Ex-Cambrian Brake Van.A.4.JPG

Got 'em right this time! Coupling links need to be fitted - and there is a chimney!

Next potential RSU project may well be a High Level 14xx chassis kit. I've been trawling forums to read up on peoples' experiences with these - the virgin fret looks a bit daunting! - and I think I am now ready for battle to commence. How much RSU'ing and how much Ironing I will be performing remains to be seen.

Watch this space. But don't hold your breath for to long...................... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Looks good Paul despite its history...... :thumb
Rob

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Nice and unique model that; full of character!

I made something similar using 2/3 of a Cambrian Shark kit. It has more or less been tested to destruction though, with some very aggressive track testing ;)

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 am

Explaining it away does not arise, surely? You should be well pleased at having rescued it from what was at one time wreckage.

Chris

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

chrisf wrote:Explaining it away does not arise, surely? You should be well pleased at having rescued it from what was at one time wreckage.

Chris

Oh, I am pleased with it Chris. What I was meaning was that it does not conform to any known prototype - and you know what some people can be like............................. :twisted: ;)

Anyway, enough of the brake van, let's talk about RSU Adventures again.

Return to “Tools and Techniques”