Maun Pliers

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
David B

Maun Pliers

Postby David B » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm

A number of people have commented on the usefulness of parallel jawed pliers. There was a link, posted in the Track and Turnouts section to the Maun website. Maun are the makers of parallel jawed pliers.

I notice that they are selling obsolete stock of 5" square nosed pliers for just £3.05 (incl VAT). These pliers are usually found elsewhere from £20 or so upwards.

See here for the page.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Maun Pliers

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 pm

David B wrote:A number of people have commented on the usefulness of parallel jawed pliers. There was a link, posted in the Track and Turnouts section to the Maun website. Maun are the makers of parallel jawed pliers.

I notice that they are selling obsolete stock of 5" square nosed pliers for just £3.05 (incl VAT). These pliers are usually found elsewhere from £20 or so upwards.

See here for the page.

It's timely that you posted the reminder. Mine arrived in the post today :-)

Maun.JPG

They do have the proper parallel action, with just a slight preference for the tips to close before the handle end. Which is perfect to avoid things pinging out of the open end.

The jaws have very fine serrations across them, and one jaw has a groove down the length of it. I'll look forward to seeing how they work in practice.

Oh, and also on the cheap and cheerful side of things, immediately after I'd pressed <order>, I noticed there is a "fishing set" which looks very usable for messing around with at only eight quid plus the vodka and tonic...

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 am

Thank you David, just ordered a discounted pair. Even with the shipping, they were very reasonable!

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:22 am

+1

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:24 am

+1, Brilliant price even with overseas shipping.

Cheers,

David

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 am

Not +1 but +2 at this end. If they're good, they're a steal at that price. If not, it's less than the price of 3 pints that are come and gone in well under 2 hours. Besides P&P increased the cost of a single pair by 100% but only increased the price of each of the 2 pairs by 50% (this is better than the wife's logic of buying designer shoes that hurt.....but they were a bargain).

Thanks for the heads up on this one! Anyone else spotted bargains out there - a new category for the Forum?

Lindsay

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am

I got mine some time ago, and I don't know what I paid for them. I don't use them very often (I couldn't remember where to find them last night), but for a few jobs they are absolutely invaluable.

Allan F

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am

Lindsay G wrote: - a new category for the Forum?

That would be most useful. There are a couple of threads on RMw, one for Ebay and the other for general bargains. I've been alerted to some brilliant bargains through those in the past, so one on here would very helpful.

Thanks DB, duly ordered!
John

bevis

Postby bevis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Just another thank you for the information. 2 pairs ordered.
Bevis

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Re6/6 wrote:
Lindsay G wrote: - a new category for the Forum?

That would be most useful. There are a couple of threads on RMw, one for Ebay and the other for general bargains. I've been alerted to some brilliant bargains through those in the past, so one on here would very helpful.

Thanks DB, duly ordered!

Do you have the links for these, please?

I already had some smooth jaw Maun pliers - for certain jobs they are invaluable - so I was more impressed by the Fisherman's Set, both with serrated jaws. £10.68 for two pairs of quality pliers inclusive of p&P can't be bad - thanks for the heads up, David and Paul!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

I've just ordered a pair too. At that price they can't be ignored! I already have a pair (slightly larger) that I bought from Squires last year and I've found them very useful but I think they must be Chinese copies as they aren't trademarked Maun - and they cost a lot more!

david_g

Postby david_g » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Just ordered some, down to the last four pairs now. Thanks for the heads up.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Enigma wrote:I've just ordered a pair too. At that price they can't be ignored! I already have a pair (slightly larger) that I bought from Squires last year and I've found them very useful but I think they must be Chinese copies as they aren't trademarked Maun - and they cost a lot more!

Arrived this morning, signed for. Not unpacked them yet but I notice that the jaws look slightly serrated whereas the Squire's ones are smooth. There is also a groove along the length of one of the jaws which could be useful for holding long thin things.

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:45 pm

ordered my today , thanks for the heads up

dclift

Postby dclift » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 am

David B wrote:A number of people have commented on the usefulness of parallel jawed pliers. There was a link, posted in the Track and Turnouts section to the Maun website. Maun are the makers of parallel jawed pliers.

See here for the page.

David, thanks for the tip-off. Mine arrived today, and, not having to pay VAT they were an even bigger bargain at GBP2.54, however postage to Australia was nearly six time the price of the pliers. Now I have to find a place for them within arm's reach on my workbench. At the moment they have displaced a less useful pair of pliers.
Maun pliers.jpg

I really must reorganise, or at least tidy, my workbench! At least the pliers stand out intheir splendid red sleeves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Clift.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am

Enigma wrote:
Enigma wrote:I've just ordered a pair too. At that price they can't be ignored! I already have a pair (slightly larger) that I bought from Squires last year and I've found them very useful but I think they must be Chinese copies as they aren't trademarked Maun - and they cost a lot more!

Arrived this morning, signed for. Not unpacked them yet but I notice that the jaws look slightly serrated whereas the Squire's ones are smooth. There is also a groove along the length of one of the jaws which could be useful for holding long thin things.

Fairly easy to change to smooth (with grove remaining) if you have a bench grinding wheel. I've smoothed out one of the sets I bought in the clearance offer as follows:

1 - remove the nuts by grinding the hammered over-thread beyond the nut, until flush with the nut. Undo nut, and then undo screw from front.
2 - with jaw removed, gently grind the jaw until smooth (or smooth-enough, with just a trace of the serrations).
3 - reassemble carefully, and if really worried about the nuts coming off, secure with a dab of varnish on the thread as thread-lock.

- Nigel

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:15 am

nigelcliffe wrote:
Enigma wrote:

Fairly easy to change to smooth (with grove remaining) if you have a bench grinding wheel. I've smoothed out one of the sets I bought in the clearance offer as follows:

1 - remove the nuts by grinding the hammered over-thread beyond the nut, until flush with the nut. Undo nut, and then undo screw from front.
2 - with jaw removed, gently grind the jaw until smooth (or smooth-enough, with just a trace of the serrations).
3 - reassemble carefully, and if really worried about the nuts coming off, secure with a dab of varnish on the thread as thread-lock.

- Nigel

I'll leave them as they are I reckon. The Squire's ones have smooth jaws so I'll have one of each. :)

And David - your workbench appears to be a shining example of a clean and pristine workbench so no need for tidying.

Well, compared to mine (and plenty of others I've seen) anyway............... :? ;)

Return to “Tools and Techniques”