Needle Files

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
John Bateson

Needle Files

Postby John Bateson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Having just rejected a set of Rolson Needle Files because on three of them the teeth only went halfway across the blade, I wonder if anybody here can recommend a quality needle file set. My old sets are quite worn down.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Le Corbusier

Re: Needle Files

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:51 pm

For what its worth I use Vallorbe .... recommended I think by Iain Rice in his Etched Brass kits book. Can't say I have much to compare with apart from Cheepo Chinese ones, but have been happy with them.
Tim Lee

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm

I tend to pick them up as I see them - model engineers shows usually being good for this sort of thing.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:25 pm

I also use Valorbe files. Available from a number of suppliers, including Cooksongold, Cousins and Eileens Emporium. The jewelry industry suppliers tend to be less expensive. Hobby Holidays supply Klein files which are a little cheaper.

kelly

Postby kelly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Cooksongold tend to have semi regular offers on various equipment.

If you go to the counter in the jewellery quarter Birmingham you can get discounts on various items depending on the day etc. There is (at least last I went) a good shop opposite their shop that sells tools at very good prices.

I've dealt with them for my jewellery hobby a few times.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:29 am

kelly wrote:There is (at least last I went) a good shop opposite their shop that sells tools at very good prices.

I've dealt with them for my jewellery hobby a few times.

I think Kelly might mean Walsh's, just around the corner from Cooksongold, behind Warstone Lane police station. I've had lots of stuff from them, including tiny drills, allegedly diamond-edged needle files, and abrasive paper that goes right down to 12000 grit (ie a grain size of two microns). They're also agents for Proxxon, but sadly my credit card wasn't feeling very well last time I went :( :(

Regards
Chris

Return to “Tools and Techniques”