Thin files

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
David B

Thin files

Postby David B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Every so often, a thin file is needed. Some years ago, I borrowed a very thin Stubs file which cut on the edge, to clean out the groove in a crosshead. Stubs files are now akin to hen's teeth.

I have since been fortunate to get hold of a Stubs slot file which is about 23thou thick. However, I have occasionally needed a thinner one and some time ago bought a 20thou nut slotting file, the red handled on in the photo.

Last week I bought three thin nut slotting blades - 13, 17 and 20 thou, from Crimson Guitars. The cutting edge is square. These are cheaper than the nut slotting files though I have ordered a 10thou file from StewMac in the States. The drawback with the files, which only cut on the edge, is that the edge is rounded, not square. Even so, I have found the file very useful.

The blades are on Ebay where you can also find nut slotting saw rods.

slot-files_2439crw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Edward45

Re: Thin files

Postby Edward45 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Wilko metal nail files; ground on one face to approx 10th thick and shaped to whatever with a cutting disc. Deals with brass and nickel silver. Paid £1.00 for two.

David B

Postby David B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Wilko? I have not seen one in years and didn't know they still existed. I don't think they are down here in Devon.

Good alternative though, if you can find a Wilko.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Wilko is expanding in Bristol.
I know of three, with one only a mile away.

Gordon

Edward45

Postby Edward45 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

Clearly any thin metal file will do, and the cheaper the better. I only mentioned Wilko's as they were the cheapest I came across. I have an idea that Poundland, etc sold them at one time. Poundland do sell the cheap emery type that have other uses.

Edward45

Postby Edward45 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm

A further experiment. Unless you have eyes like a hawk you will need to use a magnifying glass of some kind. Using a triangle diamond needle file, cut a row of closely spaced serrations to form a rather crude cutting edge. Just tried it.

Return to “Tools and Techniques”