GW wheel press

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Craig Warton

Re: GW wheel press

Postby Craig Warton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:23 pm

The reasons I post on the forum are fairly simple:

I like the society forum, it has a good mixture of activity and the people (and posts) are usually helpful.

I get to see far more P4 modelling than I do in real life. I do not live in the UK and I have never actually been there (here) yet (one day!)

If I expect other people to post things for me to look at, then I really need to post too.

I know this is even more off topic about the wheel press. I have a wheel press, rivet tool and rolling mill - all somehow obtained

Regards,

Craig W

billbedford

Re: OT - Active Forum Members

Postby billbedford » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:24 am

Will L wrote:Interesting question. From the members list you can work out that of our members (1883 as at 1st March, yes we really did hit the magic figure on that day) 1328 are registered to the forum, which sounds good. It doesn't look quite so good when you work out that of those only 432 have ever posted on the forum, and only 280 have ever posted more than 5 times. How many who are registered so they can access the members area of the website, or, who look at the forum regularly but but never post, it's hard to say..

I suspect that these numbers parallel real life modelling, i.e. ~1300 have bought some P4 parts, ~500 have built a working vehicle and ~300 have access to a working layout.

Mario KESR

Postby Mario KESR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:01 pm

I understand the benefits of using the GW wheel press for quartering driving wheels but does it have any other benefits?
Also is there an upper and lower limit to the diameter of P4 driving wheels that can be quartered in this press?

Regards
Mario

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:36 pm

There is no practical upper limit to wheel diameter bar the two rods that hold the jig together. My one measures 33mm from the centre of the axle plunger to the uppermost rod, which gives a maximum wheel diameter of 66mm over flanges, some 16 feet in 4mm scale!

Although the press can be used to mount wheels on axles where no quartering is involved, a large square vice is equally as good.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:37 pm

The limitation comes when pressing small wheels - but then you can just extend the slots to accommodate.

I assume you could use them with pin points 2mm axles - just set the stops inward. Not sure though as I've never tried.

George is always extremely helpful if you get a chance to speak to him at shows.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Philip Hall wrote:
Although the press can be used to mount wheels on axles where no quartering is involved, a large square vice is equally as good.

Philip

Hi Philip.

With a large vice how would you ensure the wheels are exactly opposite each other? I can see the wheels would always be parallel to each other but the axle could be at any angle couldn't it?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:55 pm

jim s-w wrote:
Philip Hall wrote:

With a large vice how would you ensure the wheels are exactly opposite each other? I can see the wheels would always be parallel to each other but the axle could be at any angle couldn't it?..

Would it help if the ends of the axle were slightly tapered?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Jim,
There is of course no way of ensuring the axle is not at an angle just using a vice. I take the view that if you were using a vice you would line everything up carefully before applying pressure. Of course using the GW press does ensure this alignment is made. It isn't, however, necessary to use any kind of device to put on a wheel that doesn't need to be quartered (and I've never needed to, quartering outside cranks is another matter) but it does help.

I would say that any kind of press tool, GW or anything else, is only going to work if the face of the wheel boss is truly at right angles to the bore and properly flat, and I always check that this is so, and if necessary, correct it. I do this at the same time as checking for concentricity. If it isn't, then pressure is uneven and can result in an ever so slightly crooked wheel/axle assembly.

Ivan,
I always 'break' the ends of an axle so there is no danger of the axle taking a shave off the wheel as it goes in. I don't think it would help having a slight taper if the axle was being held skew-whiff before pressure was applied. I used to put quite a large radius on the axle end and this seemed to help with the wheel not wobbling, but of late I have made less of a radius and the wheels go on OK, with the benefit of improved appearance - no 'ring' around the axle end.

Philip

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:23 am

Philip Hall wrote:Although the press can be used to mount wheels on axles where no quartering is involved, a large square vice is equally as good.

Philip

Having used my own GW press at Missenden over the weekend, I was reflecting on this.

Personally I'd caution against using a vice to clamp the press together. I had some slightly reluctant wheels due to shorting strips being fitted to them I think that without the ability to feel how the wheels are mating with the axle by using your hands, it would be easy to mangle the centre of the wheel if you have the axle slightly offline.

I realise that it can work well, but the key benefit that a vice delivers of being absolutely square is achieved by the alignment rods of the press itself.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:12 am

Personally I use both hands and vice. I push the wheels partially onto their axles by hand (which i feel I have to do anyway to get the crankpins properly aligned to go into the wheel press), then complete the job using a vice which, in conjunction with a back to back gauge, seems to give much greater fine control.

DT

Mario KESR

Postby Mario KESR » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:39 am

Thank you for the replies to my questions.

Regards
Mario

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:56 am

jon price wrote:given that you don't need to be active to read the forum 400 or so active means the figure of 60% lurkers might hold true, so posting versus lurking is probably typical of most forums. Of course being active on the forum isn't the same as being an active modeller. I'd be interested to know hom many of those there are. How many members have built or converted a piece of rolling stock to P4 would be an interesting statistic.

Here's one heratic, I model EM, but find a lot of useful info on here plus the stores are useful.

Phil

philpill

Postby philpill » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:37 pm

likewise i model em gauge but use the forum as em society members dont use their forum and i have had some good advise from all you s4ers thanks phil b

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:46 pm

philpill wrote:.... em society members dont use their forum ....

I wasn't aware the EMGS had a forum.....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Horsetan wrote:
philpill wrote:.... em society members dont use their forum ....

I wasn't aware the EMGS had a forum.....

There is a web site, but not what I would call a forum such as this.

Phil

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:33 am

philpill wrote:likewise i model em gauge but use the forum as em society members dont use their forum and i have had some good advise from all you s4ers thanks phil b

Gentlemen (I wonder if you model in EM it is compulsory to be called Phil?),

I hope that you and many others that do not model to 18.83mm gauge have found, and continue to find, a very warm welcome in the Scalefour Society. It is for good reason that the very first of the Society's Objects in its Constitution is:

"to bring together persons interested in railway modelling to 4mm fine scale standards;"

No mention of gauge there, or anywhere else in the objects either. Indeed, the sort of modelling that I find every day on our Forum must be inspiring those in both larger and smaller scales than 4mm as well. It's certainly inspiring to me.

At a personal level, the very Area Group that I am a member of - CHEAG - has more members that do *not* model to 18.83mm than do. But we all come together to be sociable and share our modelling experiences. I must confess to last week trying to run my part completed Buckjumper chassis along a member's EM gauge track on a portable baseboard. It was okay on the straight bits, but parted company in the pointwork ;-)

So please, do continue to post your progress and your questions on the Forum. In that way it will continue to go from strength to strength in its friendliness and its usefulness.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman (and an EMGS member as well)
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Im a double heretic , amongst other gauges Im doing some tests of 21mm to EM standards :geek: :geek:

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:34 am

I know it doesn't concern anyone but I'd just like to say that I eventually got through and am now a happy owner of a G W Models wheel puller and also a wheel press/quartering jig. Finally!

Wheel puller worked great upon initial tests, I have took into account advice on adding brass shim to evenly distribute the pressure as to not pull tyres off. First tests I just risked it and no problem.

Wheel press was a bit fiddely to get things aligned and I guess that is why I read a lot of you like to put it in a vice but once it was in position I was surprised how easy everything went together.

Time to practice.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:05 am

As a post script to my previous postings :? my wheel press arrived today and a fine looking piece of kit it is. I've reviewed the article by Alan Sibley and will be ready to press wheels in anger as soon as the need presents itself ;)

Cheers,

David

bordercollie

Postby bordercollie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:17 am

I am new to actual modelling and would like to make a start.

I have read through this topic. It would appear that GW products are of a high quality and worth purchasing.

It has been suggested that for overseas modellers that an international bank draft be used. This a relatively easy, if expensive, way to send money. It would make sense to buy everything you need as one purchase as there would only be a charge for a single draft. However, you still need to establish now much postage to send and thus have to contact him and for him to reply. I don't know about this case but some people say they don't reply without a SAE. It would be possible to phone from overseas as someone has done. It sounds a bit expensive.

The man has every right to run his business this way. I just wish to make the point that these types of problems may put off O/seas modellers. I made a order for 3 locomotive tender kits with another enterprise who does have online facilities. I am still waiting for a reply to tell me how postage to add (order sent on 19th Jun). I will need to follow this up of course, but is this what I need to get used to if I am to proceed with modelling. I would interested to hear what other Australian modellers think.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:52 pm

FWIW I used a somewhat different method of payment. IIRC Mr Watts gives recommended postage in his ads in MRJ including overseas. I then got out a rounded amount in cash from the local exchange and sent it recorded delivery with a note suggesting that the change be spent as a donation to the maker’s favourite charity or be put towards a pint at his local. I know people are advised not to send cash in the mails but it was well wrapped and with recorded delivery I knew that it arrived safely as did my wheel press, which I have used and it works :thumb

Cheers,

David

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 pm

I think David's idea above is a good one. I haven't purchased anything direct but did end up with the quartering jig which seems to work for me. I also have used the riveter. I found it Ok to use and would be worth the investment if you are thinking of building lots of etched brass kits and scratch building.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:46 pm

I know this is an old thread but I've been struggling to find an answer to this query elsewhere...

I have a GW Models Wheel Press which works fine for me on standard 1/8" axles but I want to use them for an EasiChas conversion on a couple of locos which need 3mm axles. Does anyone know whether a 3mm "spigot" is available or will I have to try and create a solution using the 2mm diameter peg and some suitably sized tube...?

Thanks.

Jeremy

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:01 pm

The problem I foresee with the tube solution is that you might force the tube into a wheel and find it hard to get back out.

I bought an Easichas and had them swap the bearings for 1/8"

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:36 pm

GW do a 3mm spigot on request. I would give George a call and I’m sure he would post you a couple. I guess a small charge perhaps.

Philip

Return to “Tools and Techniques”